Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-08-2006, 08:40 AM   #1
Tim
Starter

Member Number: 661
Default Anyone else hoping that Porter's agent gets a call today?

I really want to see that guy in a Steeler uniform for as long as he's in the NFL.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:46 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,056 Times in 3,445 Posts
Default Re: Anyone else hoping that Porter's agent gets a call today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I really want to see that guy in a Steeler uniform for as long as he's in the NFL.
me too. it probably wont happen but he proved why hes one of the best (and quickest) linebackers in the league.

its not like he was blowing by s. hutchinson and w. jones or anything but he made a play when one was needed. his coverage skills are great. some called for him to be a cap casualty next year (and even this year) just because hes old.

theres still gas in the tank. its just a shame the price of gas has shot through the roof recently.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:48 AM   #3
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

I would too, but it's just not going to happen. Sadly, every great play he makes this year drives up his expectation (deserved) for guaranteed money in the form of a signing bonus, and it's already out of the range of what the Rooneys would pay. Joey will deserve that fattest of contracts moreso than just about anyone I can think of in recent memory.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,152 Times in 3,214 Posts

It is not how many plays he makes now, it is how many plays he will be able to make in 2008-2009 if the Steelers sign him to a big $$$ contract and need to let other rising players go to pay for it.

The cap forces hard choices and this will be one of them - Joey P. has signed his last contract with the Steelers.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:26 PM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
It is not how many plays he makes now, it is how many plays he will be able to make in 2008-2009 if the Steelers sign him to a big $$$ contract and need to let other rising players go to pay for it.

The cap forces hard choices and this will be one of them - Joey P. has signed his last contract with the Steelers.
Bingo. Porter's situation is an unfortunate one, but understandable. This has more to do with this teams future than what he would or could do next season or the season after.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

yeah but i dont think it will happen. i hope it does cause he is a very important player but the steelers dont have the cap.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:41 PM   #7
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Could they "franchise" him for one more year?????
Old 09-08-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
geran42o
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 48

He made a great case for getting himself a pay raise so far....lets hope he continues that level of play all season. And then resign him and let him retire a STEELER

geran42o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #9
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Bingo. Porter's situation is an unfortunate one, but understandable. This has more to do with this teams future than what he would or could do next season or the season after.
I agree with you and ATL Dan about lossing other younger players if we indeed sign Joey Porter to the big deal he deserves. But you know what. Joey is one of the big reasons we got our 5th Lombardi last year. So I think he should get his money. Look at his play last night. I think Joey could have 3-4 really good years left.

Now don't get me wrong I'm glad we signed Ike Taylor to his deal and it was a fair deal for the Steelers. But Porter holds on to a INT unlike Ike Taylor. I love Ike but I just wish he could hold onto a INT on a more consistent basis. But I have to say this as well. I respect Ike for taking less money to resign with the Steelers. So the ball is also in Joey's court. If he really wants to remain a Steeler then he could take less like Ike to remain a Steeler.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:52 PM   #10
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

ya know i know is not spoken about but everyone assumes that Porter will be the one gone rather than Haggins.. we still have Porter signed through next year so he still has two years with us... Alot can happen during that time, is not like he is leaving after this season or anything. So time will tell, he is obviously in his prime as far as his mental and probably physical abilities. I love Porter, always have and always will... i just hope we can find a way to keep him without busting the bank in order to do so.. like most of our players we have on the team, it will have to be some sort of comprimise with both and more than likely Porter will want to have to stay more than the money will mean to him.

Interesting STAT.... After the first game of the season against Miami... Porter now has 57 SACKS and the STEELERS record is 77 ..Myabe he will be like Ward and being an all time leader on a team with such rich history may make him want to stay.. I dont know if he can get 20 sacks in the next two years or not, but I am sure if he stayed with the Steelers for his whole career... he will have around 100 by the time is said and done with so ya never know ... maybe some things like that will convince him otherwise. hope so .
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote