Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-08-2006, 01:15 PM   #11
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts
Default Re: Heinz Field Turf

The field will be in its usual cow pasture shape by early November - it appeared last night that the field between the hash marks already is worn, which is a pretty neat trick since the only game played since January 1 was Pitt-Virginia last weekend.

The Rooneys do a lot of things right but their old school refusal to ditch the grass field, which clearly has problems being located next to a riverbed, is going to tear up a multi-milllion $$$ knee sooner rather than later.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #12
Indy_Steelers
Team Captain

Member Number: 1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
The Rooney's do a lot of things right but their old school refusal to ditch the grass field, which clearly has problems being located next to a riverbed, is going to tear up a multi-million $$$ knee sooner rather than later.

I hope th Steelers NEVER go to a fake field surface. They just need to do a better job at researching natural surfaces. Purdue University has a great natural surface that they engineered themselves. I has all the advantages of artificial grass and none of the problems.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:12 PM   #13
ch33ky_chikk
Water Boy

Member Number: 2974

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovejoy71 View Post
I hope the Steelers NEVER go to a fake field surface. They just need to do a better job at researching natural surfaces. Purdue University has a great natural surface that they engineered themselves. I has all the advantages of artificial grass and none of the problems.

I'm with you on this one, lovejoy! Football was never intended to be played on artificial turf. For the love of mud and all things good and holy I pray with all my heart that the Steelers never and by that I mean NEVER quit playing on real grass in an open stadium.
I love and by love I really mean LOVE it when they play in the mud and the muck and even in the snow. Football is not for hot house plastic pansy players or fair weather fans.

I work on a horse farm and know for a fact that there are varities of grass out there that are a gazillion times better than artificial stuff ... way more resilient and much softer to land on. A thin layer of indoor/outdoor carpeting layed over either cement or concrete is not an idea surface to play on.

GO STEELERS!
ch33ky_chikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:12 PM   #14
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

The Steelers actually use the same surface that the Broncos use - DD Grassmaster. It's real grass with a synthetic base to it.

DD Grassmaster

But yet, the field at Invesco is consistently in way better shape than ours. Perhaps the Rooneys need to get in touch with Broncos management and ask them how they take care of it? Because the field has been bad pretty much since the day it opened.

Come to think of it...the WVU Mountaineers just switched to a "grass" surface that they developed themselves, and it looks pretty good - how about using that?

Last edited by X-Terminator; 09-08-2006 at 07:18 PM. Reason: added link
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:52 PM   #15
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts

I had read the Steelers latest turf is the same as the Broncos. However, in addition to the fact Heinz Field is next to a river, which I assume is not a positive factor in keeping a field dry, I believe the Broncos do not share their field with a college team and do not authorize an annual late fall massacre of the field by having 4 high school games played on the field in one day in November.

Baltimore's climate is closer to that of Pittsburgh than Denver's - I would check out what the Ravens are putting down. Whatever the Steelers' latest turf plan may be is not working.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:36 PM   #16
BlacknGold Bleeder
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1254

I don't think the field being bad has anything to do with it being next to the rivers. This field has never been in good shape.Money ought to be invested in it before that million dollar knee gets blown!!!
Old 09-08-2006, 10:51 PM   #17
jaysta
Starter

Member Number: 1495

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
The Steelers actually use the same surface that the Broncos use - DD Grassmaster. It's real grass with a synthetic base to it.

DD Grassmaster

But yet, the field at Invesco is consistently in way better shape than ours. Perhaps the Rooneys need to get in touch with Broncos management and ask them how they take care of it?
I spent some time out at Invesco a couple of years ago, and you are right, the surface is exactly like the Steelers grass. At the time the Steelers and Broncos were the only two teams using it. The grass actually weaves down through sand and the roots are "tied" into that synthetic base that you mentioned. This keeps it from pulling out and the entire field has drains running through it so that players won't cause ruts. It has heaters under it and the roots are watered from underneath as well to keep the grass from becoming wet. Honestly the humidity is so high with fog all over Western PA I think that's what made the grass so wet. Only certain types of cleats can be worn so as to not hurt the system so that's most likely why they had a couple of slips.
jaysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:56 PM   #18
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

The Ravens use a version of synthetic grass - it isn't a natural surface. The Bengals started using FieldTurf, as most people know their original grass field was worse than ours. I know a lot of people think fields should be nothing but grass and dirt and mud, but we're talking about the safety of players here, and as BnG Bleeder said, million dollar knees are on the line. The Steelers should seriously consider switching to FieldTurf or some form of artificial grass surface before someone gets hurt. We just have to accept the fact that some areas just aren't good for growing and maintaining a quality grass surface.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:00 PM   #19
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysta View Post
I spent some time out at Invesco a couple of years ago, and you are right, the surface is exactly like the Steelers grass. At the time the Steelers and Broncos were the only two teams using it. The grass actually weaves down through sand and the roots are "tied" into that synthetic base that you mentioned. This keeps it from pulling out and the entire field has drains running through it so that players won't cause ruts. It has heaters under it and the roots are watered from underneath as well to keep the grass from becoming wet. Honestly the humidity is so high with fog all over Western PA I think that's what made the grass so wet. Only certain types of cleats can be worn so as to not hurt the system so that's most likely why they had a couple of slips.
You may be right about the humidity/fog issue - I hadn't thought of that. We had rain over the weekend plus a few cool, foggy mornings including yesterday, so that may indeed have contributed to the slippery field. The concept of the DD GrassMaster surface is good, but again, some places just may not be able to handle a quality natural surface of any kind. Or it could be that the Heinz Field grounds crew isn't doing a very good job - PNC Park sits closer to the river than Heinz and they have never had a problem with it's grass. (Yes, I realize it's a baseball park, but the field does take a beating over 81 games plus concerts and other activities they have there)
Old 09-08-2006, 11:08 PM   #20
jaysta
Starter

Member Number: 1495

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
The Steelers should seriously consider switching to FieldTurf or some form of artificial grass surface before someone gets hurt. We just have to accept the fact that some areas just aren't good for growing and maintaining a quality grass surface.
Now that you mention it, I do recall someone talking about Pittsburgh having a problem with some of their surface. It was a while ago so I can't recall the whole conversation, but something about a fungus on certain areas of the field. Denver's surface was great and seemed flawless. They weren't certain, but they felt that the river could have been causing our problem. It really is a safe surface to run and land on, but if it becomes slippery at night, that's not good.
jaysta is offline   Reply With Quote