Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 07-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #101
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,504 Times in 3,702 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Ike Taylor is 'pissed off' he took $4.25M pay cut with Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
that's because there were no years that he was overpaid.
Ike Taylor has been a great player for this team.

My posts in this thread have been about the NFL financial structure, not a knock on Ike. I think he's one of the most underrated players in Steelers history.

He just got old. It happens to everyone. I hope he has a great year.
pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (09-10-2014), harrison'samonster (07-06-2014), tony hipchest (07-08-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #102
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,771 Times in 4,297 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
Ike Taylor has been a great player for this team.

My posts in this thread have been about the NFL financial structure, not a knock on Ike. I think he's one of the most underrated players in Steelers history.

He just got old. It happens to everyone. I hope he has a great year.
all true. and Ike's only taken what the team agreed to paying him. it's not like he stole money or has been sitting on the side-lines in sweats all these years.

Ike does say goofy things though. but if you really talked to a lot of people and listened to their gripes, you'd probably walk away shaking your head.

Take all of us for example. We've all got access to a computer, probably more food than we can eat (who here doesn't stuff themselves or end up throwing food away regularly), we've probably all got a safe place to live. Yet everyone of us would complain like we're persecuted on a daily basis if somebody gave us their ear.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:22 AM   #103
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,790 Times in 5,671 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Mark Kaboly @MarkKaboly_Trib:

Have zero problem with Ike Taylor being upset about a 60 percent pay cut. But nobody wants to hear athlete complaining about making millions

One thing pro players never seem to understand is they CANNOT complain about money.That's no win argument with most fans, even if it's legit

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib
Old 07-07-2014, 03:56 AM   #104
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Athletes are spoiled in general. It takes most people more than a lifetime to even earn $1 million.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #105
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,366 Times in 4,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefield724 View Post
I'm saying lambert in his playing version wouldn't survive in today's nfl.
. . .

And I wouldn't call a 4.9 40 yard dash freakishly fast.
Tell us...

Was that time recorded in a gravel parking lot with a sundial, or at the scouting combine in Indianapolis with an electronic measuring device?

Was he wearing Nikes or Reeboks?
Old 07-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #106
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,790 Times in 5,671 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Ike Taylor ready to roll for Steelers

July, 25, 2014
By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

LATROBE, PA. -- His entrance lacked subtlety and Ike Taylor owned it the way he once did wide receivers who lined up across from him.

Taylor, after reporting Friday afternoon for his 12th training camp at bucolic St. Vincent College, said he does not think the days of him shutting down wide receivers are bygone ones despite his struggles last season. And while he acknowledged that he is not getting any younger, Taylor said he wants to play beyond this season, which happens to be the last one on his Pittsburgh Steelers contract.

“I feel like a newborn baby,” Taylor, who turned 34 in May, said in his own inimitable way. “All I need is a pacifier and mama’s milk.”

That Taylor arrived for camp in good spirits not to mention a star shaved into his head == “superstar,” he said with a smile -- is a good sign considering how ticked off he seemed last month when he went on the Jim Rome Show and sounded off about having to accept a pay cut to return to the Steelers.

Taylor shrugged off his comments as just venting and said his unhappiness over taking a pay cut won’t affect his preparation during camp or his play this season.

“You pout about it and you handle yourself on the field,” said Taylor, whose base salary this season was cut from $7 million to $2.5 million. “I can’t see myself nowhere else. I live and bleed Pittsburgh. I’m a yinzer. The only thing I don’t really do to be a yinzer is eat Primanti Brothers.”

(Note: Yinzer is a term often applied to hardcore Pittsburgh residents and Primanti Brothers’ most famous sandwich includes coleslaw and fries on a hamburger and is considered a Pittsburgh signature).

“Other than that I’m Pittsburgh all the way down. I wear my 412 clothing. I’ve got a 412 [area code), my nickname is ‘Lil Rooney.’ What else you want from me?”

Taylor said he hasn't felt this good physically in years and that renowned speed coach Tom Shaw, whom he works with during the offseason, actually had to tell him to ease up on his training.

If this is his last season with the Steelers -- the 6-foot-2, 195-pounder intends on playing somewhere in 2015 -- Taylor feels good about making a run at his third Super Bowl ring.

“This team as far as young guys and the energy it’s like the [2004-05] feeling,” Taylor said in reference to the seasons in which the Steelers made the AFC championship game and won the Super Bowl. “We talked about speed on defense and from OTAs through minicamp you saw the speed on defense and I think in ’04 and ’05 we were pretty speedy on defense.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-s...espnapi_public
Old 07-25-2014, 11:57 PM   #107
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,075 Times in 512 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

Kind of sad for Ike that he took that pay cut and now he didn't even need to.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:14 AM   #108
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Ike Taylor ready to roll for Steelers

July, 25, 2014
By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

LATROBE, PA. -- His entrance lacked subtlety and Ike Taylor owned it the way he once did wide receivers who lined up across from him.
I guess Scott Brown doesn't watch many Steeler games. Ike Taylor owning wide receivers???
Quote:

Taylor, after reporting Friday afternoon for his 12th training camp at bucolic St. Vincent College, said he does not think the days of him shutting down wide receivers are bygone ones despite his struggles last season. And while he acknowledged that he is not getting any younger, Taylor said he wants to play beyond this season, which happens to be the last one on his Pittsburgh Steelers contract.
Uhhhh, when exactly were these days of him shutting down wide receivers?
Quote:

“I feel like a newborn baby,” Taylor, who turned 34 in May, said in his own inimitable way. “All I need is a pacifier and mama’s milk.”

That Taylor arrived for camp in good spirits not to mention a star shaved into his head == “superstar,” he said with a smile -- is a good sign considering how ticked off he seemed last month when he went on the Jim Rome Show and sounded off about having to accept a pay cut to return to the Steelers.
I hope this guy stops whining given that the Rooneys overpaid him. Yeah, he's got a good work ethic, but he's an aging career average NFL CB coming off a very weak season. The Rooneys must be pissed to read this crap.
Quote:
Taylor shrugged off his comments as just venting and said his unhappiness over taking a pay cut won’t affect his preparation during camp or his play this season.

“You pout about it and you handle yourself on the field,” said Taylor, whose base salary this season was cut from $7 million to $2.5 million. “I can’t see myself nowhere else. I live and bleed Pittsburgh. I’m a yinzer. The only thing I don’t really do to be a yinzer is eat Primanti Brothers.”
Well that's a positive sign - less pouting, and maybe he'll even start handling himself on the field.
Quote:
(Note: Yinzer is a term often applied to hardcore Pittsburgh residents and Primanti Brothers’ most famous sandwich includes coleslaw and fries on a hamburger and is considered a Pittsburgh signature).

“Other than that I’m Pittsburgh all the way down. I wear my 412 clothing. I’ve got a 412 [area code), my nickname is ‘Lil Rooney.’ What else you want from me?
Glad you asked, Ike. How about grabbing the ball when it lands in your hands?
Quote:
Taylor said he hasn't felt this good physically in years and that renowned speed coach Tom Shaw, whom he works with during the offseason, actually had to tell him to ease up on his training.

If this is his last season with the Steelers -- the 6-foot-2, 195-pounder intends on playing somewhere in 2015 -- Taylor feels good about making a run at his third Super Bowl ring.

“This team as far as young guys and the energy it’s like the [2004-05] feeling,” Taylor said in reference to the seasons in which the Steelers made the AFC championship game and won the Super Bowl. “We talked about speed on defense and from OTAs through minicamp you saw the speed on defense and I think in ’04 and ’05 we were pretty speedy on defense.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-s...espnapi_public
Nothing wrong with Ike Taylor - good work ethic, good attitude, team loyalty, etc. It's nice to have him on the team. That's why he's being overpaid to stick around (and of course, we're really thin at CB). We can't have above-average players everywhere, so it's fine to get a solid NFL player with a good attitude.

Just don't forget to bring the good attitude, please. That's why the team is paying you above market value.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #109
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
Ike never ran and hyde. He showed up. Don't you listen do is radio show?
lol... That hasn't been canceled yet?
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #110
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I have a hard time faulting him - or any other football players - for being pissed off at shit like this. They have the shortest careers, with no guaranteed contracts. It sucks. It's one thing to have a salary cap, I get the economics of that. But contracts in the NFL mean nothing. In any other sport, the team would be paying Ike his $7 million. You can say that you get paid for future potential, but that $7M was promised to him once based on his future potential. So far as I can tell, NFL contracts are binding on players, not the team.

If I were the NFLPA, I'd say fuck it... one-year contracts for everyone. Period. Everyone would get paid their full money, and if you didn't like the guys you got, you wouldn't have to sign them the next year.
Sorry, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy. There is a limited amount of money teams are allowed to spend on their total team salary. His play has dropped off, noticeably. All the things he says about himself I can say about people who don't make 1/100 of what he does and lose their jobs because some monkey who can't actually do the work will take the job for bananas. I love that he is that is the kind of person to give his all, and that he is loyal, it is appreciated, but he has also made millions. If he does the same thing after football, it will continue to come back to him. Grumbling about not having it as good as he thinks he should undoes a lot of the dedication.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote