Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-07-2014, 11:58 PM   #1
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023
Default Better than Dulac, Bouchette and Fitipaldo...MY preseason opener preview

Hello my friends in Steeler Nation. As an aspiring sportswriter I like to put my stuff on here for your reading pleasure from time to time. Don't write it off because its not by a name you recognize! You may just find that you enjoy it. Ok, I'm babbling. Here it is:

Some things come before even Steelers football.

I have been planning to go to Saturday’s preseason opener since the schedule came out. Being from Long Island, New York originally and currently anchored near Albany, I rarely miss the Black and Gold when they come around these parts.

I requested and received my uncle’s Giants season tickets, which he wasn’t planning on using, and looked ahead to August 9th. I rented a hotel room close to the stadium for me and my girlfriend, who is the only other Steelers fan I actually know (I may have had just a little something to do with that). We were all set to go, until life intervened.

Her grandmother had to be rushed to the hospital Thursday night after suffering a stroke, the aftereffects of which still have her speechless and heavily sedated. These things happen, especially to the elderly, but that makes it no easier for her as she runs back and forth to the hospital every day on little sleep. I will still be heading down that way Saturday, but only to be with her and her family for a day while they cope with the situation.

Of course, we will still watch the game. Saturday night will offer a first look for us faithful at a very different Steelers outfit than in years past.

The 2014 Steelers have few vestiges of the core of players who made up the heart of the Super Bowl XL/Super Bowl XLIII championship units. Those familiar faces, Hampton, Harrison, Farrior, Smith, Keisel, Ward and the rest, were the bedrock of some very successful football teams for the better part of a decade. They are all gone now, along with several others. These are not your older brother’s Steelers, and it is up to this team, here, now, to reinstall the nasty mug of Steelers football.

Who am I watching in particular as the preseason gets underway? Jarvis Jones is the first name that springs to mind. The kid from Georgia has to take a huge step forward in his second season, because I for one cannot stomach the thought of another campaign light on sacks and – correspondingly – turnovers. Jones and Worilds have to be the new Harrison and Woodley. The former are first- and second-round picks, respectively, while we all know ol’ Silverback was famously undrafted and Wood also was a second rounder. Simply put, there is no excuse this time around. We must harass from the edges.

Let’s see something from these young receivers Saturday night also. Markus Wheaton could be the single biggest X-factor on this team, but I’m not only talking about him. How about Justin Brown stakes a claim to some meaningful playing time this year? What if Martavis Bryant can come in and make a big impact right out of the gate? The receiving corps is as important as any unit in today’s NFL, and ours makes me a wee bit queasy at the moment. Do me a favor and change that, boys.

I learned only recently to appreciate watching the pre-season, which I used to largely
tune out once the starters were lifted. When you put into perspective as a viewer how the kids on the field are playing for their NFL lives it lends a kind of subtle drama to the proceedings. Guys like Daniel McCullers and Derrick Moye, Chris Carter, Ryan Zumwalt and Terrance Garvin playing for a spot in a crowded linebacking corps, will all warrant a glance. Sean Spence has to be the most intriguing single storyline to look for, right? What an incredible comeback story that could shape up to be, and I think we’re all rooting for the guy to succeed.

If there is one thing that can be said with utter certainty about the coming season, it’s that the man wearing number 50 this year is going to cover more ground than did the man who used to wear that jersey. No knock on my man Larry Foote, who carved out a solid career in Steeltown, but Ryan Shazier is a different kind of animal. Stephon Tuitt, the so-called next Aaron Smith (easy, people) will draw a lot of eyeballs from Steeler Nation as well. And let’s hope Dri Archer is more Sproles than Rainey.

I can go – we all can go on – for quite some time about all of this, but the main point can
be summed up as follows: Steelers football is B-A-C-K. I never fail to feel a jolt when I see the game uniforms for the first time in a season. As we all know, it means a lot more than the game of football to us in Steeler Nation.

Spare a prayer for my girlfriend’s grandmother if you’re the praying type. Keep her in your thoughts if you’re not. Go Steelers.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:26 AM   #2
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530
Default Re: Better than Dulac, Bouchette and Fitipaldo...MY preseason opener preview

Nice try, but this is old news. So is your user name...
Old 08-08-2014, 12:30 AM   #3
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Default Re: Better than Dulac, Bouchette and Fitipaldo...MY preseason opener preview

http://francositalianarmy.wordpress.com/

That is a link to my new Steelers blog. If you want to show support a fellow member of Steeler Nation become a follower.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:32 AM   #4
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
Nice try, but this is old news. So is your user name...
Thank you for your feedback
Old 08-08-2014, 12:37 AM   #5
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,679 Times in 5,235 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayingTheWoodley56 View Post

Her grandmother had to be rushed to the hospital Thursday night after suffering a stroke, the aftereffects of which still have her speechless and heavily sedated. These things happen, especially to the elderly, but that makes it no easier for her as she runs back and forth to the hospital every day on little sleep. I will still be heading down that way Saturday, but only to be with her and her family for a day while they cope with the situation.

Spare a prayer for my girlfriend’s grandmother if you’re the praying type. Keep her in your thoughts if you’re not. Go Steelers.
[/B]
I will be sure include your girlfriend's grandmother in my next prayer and ask that she be blessed with God's healing touch...
Old 08-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

Good luck to your girlfriends grandmother, hoping for a speedy and full recovery for her. I enjoyed the write up, thanks.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote