Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-06-2014, 05:08 PM   #11
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Thanked 1,213 Times in 648 Posts
Default Re: Rookie Dri Archer expects to play 'big role' for Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Knight View Post
My issue with Archer is that he isn't a WR. His college coach even said he made a mistake by using him in the slot. He was trying to show him off for the NFL scouts. But in reality Archer is a RB. Which is fine if you are playing in the MAC against players that can't sniff a 4.6. But in the NFL he is going to find running between the tackles a different experience. I know 4.26 sounds lightning fast but you're only looking at .14 at 40 YARDS difference than some CBs.

Which is why Haley is going to have to use him sparingly. A few plays a game on offense and KR duties. Maybe PR.
Ummm, didn't Big Ben play in the MAC against some of that same competition? I wouldn't penalize a guy because he plays in a certain conference if he is NFL ready he'll be fine, hell if I were him I would rather play RB instead of having NFL players running full tilt at me on a KO return.
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goldsteel86 For This Useful Post:
Born2Steel (08-06-2014), harrison'samonster (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #12
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Yeehaw

I like what this kid can do for this team. I'm excited to see these rookies in action...
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #13
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,727 Times in 5,256 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Pittsburgh Steelers (Last Year: 8-8)

NFL Draft Individual Grades:

97. Dri Archer, RB/WR, Kent State: B+ Grade

Pro Football Talk had Dri Archer in the first round of their mock draft, so they must love this value for the Steelers. In reality, Archer was always seen as a third-round prospect. This is a solid choice, as Pittsburgh didn't have anyone on its roster who resembled what Archer will bring to the table. He can serve as a Darren Sproles-type weapon for Ben Roethlisberger.

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2014pit.php
Old 07-07-2014, 01:39 AM   #14
Steel Knight
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 25648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
Ummm, didn't Big Ben play in the MAC against some of that same competition? I wouldn't penalize a guy because he plays in a certain conference if he is NFL ready he'll be fine, hell if I were him I would rather play RB instead of having NFL players running full tilt at me on a KO return.
ummmm QB is a far different position than RB. Archer was going against players that couldn't handle his speed. Harrison played in the MAC as well. But it took him years to put it all together. Archer isn't going to have a huge speed advantage in the NFL. I know people get all dropped jawed when they see 4.26 but that is a few HUNDRETHS of a second over 40 yards difference.

DHB ran a 4.25 but somehow the CBs in the NFL were able to handle him. There have been lots of fast guys at the combine. But it rarely translates to the NFL.
Steel Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #15
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Tomlin says Archer will play running back and receiver

Posted by Mike Florio on July 12, 2014

Steelers rookie third-rounder Dri Archer recently said he’s not sure what his duties will be in his first NFL season, but that he expects to have a big role. His coach provided some clarity on Friday.

Appearing on NFL Network, Mike Tomlin said that Archer will play both running back and receiver in 2014.

“We’re gonna work to get the ball in his hands in space,” Tomlin said.

It’s still unclear how many reps Archer will get at tailback, especially with Le’Veon Bell and LeGarrette Blount at the top of the depth chart. Tomlin added that the “division of labor” among the tailbacks will sort itself out during camp.

Archer also is expected to compete for opportunities in the return game, which could make him a multi-purpose weapon, if his speed translates to the next level.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-and-receiver/
Old 07-12-2014, 09:25 PM   #16
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,761 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
ummmm QB is a far different position than RB. Archer was going against players that couldn't handle his speed. Harrison played in the MAC as well. But it took him years to put it all together. Archer isn't going to have a huge speed advantage in the NFL. I know people get all dropped jawed when they see 4.26 but that is a few HUNDRETHS of a second over 40 yards difference.

DHB ran a 4.25 but somehow the CBs in the NFL were able to handle him. There have been lots of fast guys at the combine. But it rarely translates to the NFL.
IMO, if you got a guy that runs a 4.3 40 and another runs 4.25, just how much additional ground does he gain? It ain't much. 4.25 speed, while waiting for a 320lb lineman running a 5.2 to make a block means he isn't running at 4.25.

What is going to separate Archer from the others is acceleration, vision, and anticipation, knowing how the play is likely to unfold. This kid knows how to alter his speed to disrupt the closing angles of the defenders' to his advantage. It's a rare knack, that return guys like Cribs, and the other great return men have.

On other point. DHB runs a 4.25, how often was he paired with another WR that also runs 4.25, add to that AB... Bell and or Johnson, not to mention Miller. If we get anything out of Wheaton it's a big plus as well.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #17
Steel Knight
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 25648

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
IMO, if you got a guy that runs a 4.3 40 and another runs 4.25, just how much additional ground does he gain? It ain't much. 4.25 speed, while waiting for a 320lb lineman running a 5.2 to make a block means he isn't running at 4.25.

What is going to separate Archer from the others is acceleration, vision, and anticipation, knowing how the play is likely to unfold. This kid knows how to alter his speed to disrupt the closing angles of the defenders' to his advantage. It's a rare knack, that return guys like Cribs, and the other great return men have.

On other point. DHB runs a 4.25, how often was he paired with another WR that also runs 4.25, add to that AB... Bell and or Johnson, not to mention Miller. If we get anything out of Wheaton it's a big plus as well.
You need a #2 guy. If Wheaton isn't as good as advertised then it makes it very difficult for everyone else. Also BHD was paired with speed all the time in Oak. Remember Jacoby Ford who ran a 4.28? Remember Louis Murphy who ran a 4.32? The Raiders always had speed but in the NFL speed isn't enough.

My issue with Archer is his limited upside. KOs are almost non factors now because most kickers (except for the Steelers) can kick the thing out of the end zone. Archer didn't return punts in college so he is raw. He also isn't a polished WR. If you watch his film most of his work at WR was from the slot and much of it was him coming back across the formation to receive a handoff. He is a RB not a WR. I've seen him drop a lot of passes because he isn't trained to turn his body the right way or to position himself correctly to catch a pass. So his catch radius is extremely small. This isn't good for a QB that isn't known for his accurate passing. Which is why Ben likes taller WRs. He wants the WR to go get the ball. Archer is so far away from that type of WR it's like comparing apples to atoms.

I hope he can make some noise with the limited amount of touches he gets. But that's asking a lot of any one. The team already has an experienced slot WR and 2 very good RBs. So Archer is going to be used when the defense knows he is getting the ball. They did the same thing with Rainey because he wasn't good enough as a WR or RB.
Steel Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steel Knight For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #18
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,761 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
You need a #2 guy. If Wheaton isn't as good as advertised then it makes it very difficult for everyone else. Also BHD was paired with speed all the time in Oak. Remember Jacoby Ford who ran a 4.28? Remember Louis Murphy who ran a 4.32? The Raiders always had speed but in the NFL speed isn't enough.

My issue with Archer is his limited upside. KOs are almost non factors now because most kickers (except for the Steelers) can kick the thing out of the end zone. Archer didn't return punts in college so he is raw. He also isn't a polished WR. If you watch his film most of his work at WR was from the slot and much of it was him coming back across the formation to receive a handoff. He is a RB not a WR. I've seen him drop a lot of passes because he isn't trained to turn his body the right way or to position himself correctly to catch a pass. So his catch radius is extremely small. This isn't good for a QB that isn't known for his accurate passing. Which is why Ben likes taller WRs. He wants the WR to go get the ball. Archer is so far away from that type of WR it's like comparing apples to atoms.

I hope he can make some noise with the limited amount of touches he gets. But that's asking a lot of any one. The team already has an experienced slot WR and 2 very good RBs. So Archer is going to be used when the defense knows he is getting the ball. They did the same thing with Rainey because he wasn't good enough as a WR or RB.
Great post my friend! Points well taken.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
Steel Knight (07-15-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 01:17 AM   #19
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

On the Steelers: Dri Archer is many things, but certainly not a rerun

August 6, 2014
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

People might be advised not to mention the name Chris Rainey in the presence of rookie Dri Archer. They would be especially advised not to call him the next Rainey, which no one has done in camp as far as Archer knows.

“I know who he is,” Archer said.

It’s not that it would anger Archer to hear the comparison, but he just does not believe it to be true. Both were productive 5-foot-8, 170-some-pound backs in college who came with the same projections in the Steelers offense — someone who can play all over the place and add a different dimension to the passing and running games.

They are the types of backs offensive coordinator Todd Haley has loved to deploy in his offenses through the years, most successfully in Kansas City with Dexter McCluster.

Rainey was a fifth-round pick from Florida, Archer a third-rounder from Kent State.

The Rainey experiment ended in failure on and off the field. He played in 16 games as a rookie. He rushed for 102 yards on 16 carries. He caught 14 passes for 60 yards. He returned three punts for 16 yards and 39 kickoffs for a 26.5-yard average.

The Steelers released him in January 2013 after he got into one too many predicaments off the field. He played in two games for Indianapolis last season before the Colts released him near the start of training camp this summer for violating team rules.

Those are ample reasons Archer prefers not to be compared to Rainey. He would rather talk about playing in his first professional football game Saturday night against the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. — even if it is a preseason game.

“I can’t wait, I’m excited,” Archer said.

It should be nearly as exciting to see how Haley uses him and his 4.26 speed in that game. He cannot be pigeonholed. If Kordell Stewart were the original Slash because of his ability to play wide receiver/quarterback, Archer is the multislash.

“Being a versatile player, I can do a lot. Whatever they need me to do, I can do it — return game, running back, receiver, outside receiver, slot receiver, fullback.”

He has lined up at all of them this spring and summer and he might play them all Saturday night. One new adventure for him has been returning punts, which he did not do at Kent State.

“It’s going pretty good,” he said. “I practice it every day, so I’m getting better at it and feel more comfortable at it.

“I just like to have the ball in my hands, however it is.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz39a9z1DlQ
Old 08-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #20
Born2Steel
Starter

Member Number: 25772
My Mood: Sneaky

I don't care what league he played in in college. MAC has produced football players same as any. Just plain dumb to look at it from that elitist viewpoint.