Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #11
vrabinec
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8821
Thanked 1,184 Times in 618 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed
Default Re: Steelers' top plays: Harrison INT return

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Joker View Post
I don't know about you, but I value the Super Bowl more than a first round playoff victory.
Not at the time it happened. I watched both of them happen live. Before the Immaculate reception, it felt like the Steelers were NEVER going to win a playoff game. Like we would sit there and watch them lose year after year. Fans who grew up with the Steelers having already won 4 Super Bowls have no idea how hopeless that feels. Even if the Harrison int doesn't happen and the Cards score, I felt like we had a good shot to win the game. At the time it happened, there was urgency, but not that much. No way to tell how the rest of the game would have played out. How many risks Ben would've taken. Maybe he'd start throwing it to Stonio before the last drive. But I KNOW how the Oakland game would have ended, and I know the psychological effect.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #12
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Thanked 1,213 Times in 648 Posts

Truthfully, the Immaculate reception is the greatest play in Steelers history, The Chief was on the elevator headed to the field, Bradshaw through a desperation pass and low and behold the galloping Franco Harris snags what appeared to be an incomplete pass and out ran the defense to the end zone. So much to say for the city and the hard working steel workers at that point, that set the tempo for rest of the decade and also showed Madden and the Raiders they could be beat by the Steelers.

Harrison's INT had me feeling like a kid again screaming at the TV like I did in the 70's, man was it a game-changer but still nothing like the Immaculate reception that is synonymous with Steelers football and most importantly I hope on Chuck Noll day at the stadium they show that video over and over!
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #13
Pappy
Team Captain

Member Number: 25943
My Mood: Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
I'm from the old school to.. I was around then... way before then....

MD mentioned something about the team reverting back to it's prior record when the play happened to set the course for the future. That's a great observation, but that was exactly how we felt after the next game, a loss to the Dolphins ... Will we revert to being the same old Steelers?

Words can not describe the deflation that occurred after that fake punt.......it was like it was over, our once in a lifetime shot was gone for good...... that's what the expectation was....My heavens, if you were around to see the 67-68 Steelers, I doubt really seriously there would be much discussion about how long Ben holds the ball, running backs dancing at the hole, or the DC should call it a career... for that matter, there would be little interest for a board like this.

I think that is why that one play is STILL the one those of us older fans look back at as the one that got us over the hump.

Actually, what got us over the hump was a much more drawn out process, aided greatly by the 74 draft.
Can't argue with anything you said. Spot on.
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote