Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #11
vrabinec
Head Coach
 
vrabinec's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,587
Member Number: 8821
Thanks: 369
Thanked 1,467 Times in 749 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed
Default Re: Bell is on the rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Parker?? Wee Willie Parker? No doubt, Parker may have been the fastest RB ( maybe Dwight Stone might have been) before Dri Archer, but that was about all he brought to the table. Sorry, Bell is a much more complete back.

In fairness, Parker also had the misfortune of being a running back for BA, who seems to attract lousy linemen like a dog attracts fleas. There wasn't a whole lot of running room for a scat back that didn't have the power to plow through.
Parker had 1700+ total yards one year. You don't get that without having at least a few moves, decent hands, and a little power to go with the speed.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vrabinec For This Useful Post:
Men of Steel (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #12
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter
 
NJarhead's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,451
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1932
Thanks: 1,791
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired
Default Re: Bell is on the rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrabinec View Post
Parker had 1700+ total yards one year. You don't get that without having at least a few moves, decent hands, and a little power to go with the speed.
1700 total yards for a starting RB isn't any sort of amazing feat. And in 2006, we had a great O-line (Faneca, Hartings, Smith and Co).

He was fast, but really didn't have many other tools. And like FireArians stated, dude couldn't catch down field.
__________________
"Roughing the Brady - 15 yard penalty: Automatic first down."
NJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #13
CNEW
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 717
Member Number: 25021
Thanks: 405
Thanked 1,017 Times in 471 Posts
Default Re: Bell is on the rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Joker View Post
Parker?
Parker couldnt catch a cold.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #14
CNEW
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 717
Member Number: 25021
Thanks: 405
Thanked 1,017 Times in 471 Posts
Default Re: Bell is on the rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
1700 total yards for a starting RB isn't any sort of amazing feat. And in 2006, we had a great O-line (Faneca, Hartings, Smith and Co).

He was fast, but really didn't have many other tools. And like FireArians stated, dude couldn't catch down field.
Well, only three running backs were able to hit over 1700 last year, so I'd say you're pretty off on that one.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:51 AM   #15
VaDave
Team Owner
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 2,784
Gender: Male
Member Number: 479
Thanks: 953
Thanked 2,213 Times in 1,197 Posts
Default Re: Bell is on the rise

Admitted, a GREAT one year....then the either the wheels came off, or it was BA's O that did him in. I would be very surprised if Bell isn't around a lot longer and posts better career yearly average stats.
VaDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #16
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter
 
NJarhead's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,451
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1932
Thanks: 1,791
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired
Default Re: Bell is on the rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
Well, only three running backs were able to hit over 1700 last year, so I'd say you're pretty off on that one.
in 2006, six RB's had more yards than FWP. He had one great year. Zippidy Doo Dah. They dude had speed and a great line. I'm not overly impressed.

Keep in mind, the NFL has become much more a passing league since then.
__________________
"Roughing the Brady - 15 yard penalty: Automatic first down."
NJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #17
CNEW
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 717
Member Number: 25021
Thanks: 405
Thanked 1,017 Times in 471 Posts
Default Re: Bell is on the rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
in 2006, six RB's had more yards than FWP. He had one great year. Zippidy Doo Dah. They dude had speed and a great line. I'm not overly impressed.

Keep in mind, the NFL has become much more a passing league since then.
I dont really disagree with you, just saying dnt poo poo 1700+ yards. It's quite the feat.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #18
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter
 
NJarhead's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,451
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1932
Thanks: 1,791
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired
Default Re: Bell is on the rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
I dont really disagree with you, just saying dnt poo poo 1700+ yards. It's quite the feat.
Also, we were 8-8 in 2006. So, I'd question where/when most of those yards came. When we were down and the opponents defense was playing the deep pass? This is why I hate stats.

It's all good CNEW.
__________________
"Roughing the Brady - 15 yard penalty: Automatic first down."
NJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #19
Men of Steel
Team Captain
 
Men of Steel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: OKLAHOMA
Posts: 691
Gender: Male
Member Number: 13746
Thanks: 1,524
Thanked 395 Times in 165 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Bell is on the rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Admitted, a GREAT one year....then the either the wheels came off, or it was BA's O that did him in. I would be very surprised if Bell isn't around a lot longer and posts better career yearly average stats.
he had that great year, but correct me if i'm wrong, wasn't he also leading the league in rushing the following year, up until like the second to last game where he breaks his ankle or something like that?
__________________
Men of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #20
VaDave
Team Owner
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 2,784
Gender: Male
Member Number: 479
Thanks: 953
Thanked 2,213 Times in 1,197 Posts
Default Re: Bell is on the rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKid212 View Post
he had that great year, but correct me if i'm wrong, wasn't he also leading the league in rushing the following year, up until like the second to last game where he breaks his ankle or something like that?
Kid

Dunno. All I can say, this Bell kid is the real deal and if he stays healthy, is going to be the best all around back we've had here in a long time. You can take that to the bank.

BTW, stats only tell part of the story, and can be very misleading at times.
VaDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts