Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 07-10-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,693 Times in 5,625 Posts
My Mood: Amazed
Default Mann on his group of WRs

Mann on his group of WRs

Richard Mann, in his 2nd season as receivers coach, talks about the WRs as camp approaches

Richard Mann was hired by Mike Tomlin on Feb. 13, 2013 to bring an old-school, fundamental approach to coaching the Steelers wide receivers. With Jerricho Cotchery and Emmanuel Sanders having left as unrestricted free agents, the Steelers have undergone some turnover at the top of the depth chart, and therefore training camp will be a critical time for the development of the group.

Mann recently addressed a variety of issues pertaining to this group of wide receivers:

Q. Can you talk about what the addition of veteran Lance Moore means to this corps of receivers?
A. What he can do, and from what Iíve seen so far, he can probably fill the void that we had after losing Jerricho Cotchery. We have a couple of other guys we are looking at (in that role). We might have to jerry-rig a few things to get the blocking aspect of it, but as far as the passing game, I think we are going to be fine.

Q. What have you seen from Darrius Heyward-Bey (pictured above), who came into the league as a first-round draft pick?
A. What we are doing with him is just trying to get his confidence up. He has speed. He has talent. Weíll teach him what to do, and hopefully we can put him in a position to succeed with his speed and intelligence. We will take advantage of what he does best.

Q. What about Martavis Bryant, the fourth-round pick from Clemson?
A. Heís a big guy, different from what weíve had, as far as his length. We feel like we can utilize his talents in the red zone. He has a big reach. He has good speed. So we can use him in various ways, as far as cleaning things out. Heís also a deep threat. He does have the speed.

Q. Is Dri Archer showing the ability to be a multiple threat for this offense?
A. No question [he is]. We feel like he can be our ace in the hole, or the joker, since we can use him in various positions. We can move him around. We can utilize his running ability by lining him up as a running back, and he also has receiving skills. I think itís up to Coach Haley and the offensive staff to put him in places where he can succeed. I think heís going to be a weapon for us.

Q. What did you see from the receivers over the course of the entire offseason program?
A. That weíve come a long way, but we arenít where we need to be. What Iíve been telling my guys is that we are gearing it up for the Buffalo Bills. That will be our first test when we practice against them in training camp. That is when we will be able to see how far weíve come. That will be the key, to compete against some people we havenít gone against.

Q. How would you describe Markus Wheatonís progress?
A. I made a comment during OTAs that he was doing really well as a rookie last year until he hurt his finger against Minnesota (on Sept. 29). He kind of went downhill, but he came back in the end. He played hurt. He was still hurt. I think thatís a testament to what kind of guy he is. I think heís doing very well. I think heís going to compete, and I think he will end up helping us.

Q. What about second-year pro Derek Moye?
A. I think Derek has to play his way onto the team again. Thatís the way it is. He knows that. Heís a guy who has made steady improvement from the time I came here to the present. I think he has gotten better each practice. Each time heís on the field I think he gets better. He is a guy who has to play his way on, but he has a chance.

Q. Can you talk about the no-huddle offense?
A. We always work on it. We did quite a bit last year at the end of the season, and so if Coach Haley decides to do it and Coach Tomlin decides thatís what we want to do, then we will be ready to do it. We are gearing ourselves up to be able to go no-huddle at any time we choose to do it.

Q. What did you see from Antonio Brown during the offseason?
A. I think heís done a lot of things really well. He doesnít really look like the same guy. Heís made a transition. Heís very confident. Heís matured. He understands the concepts. Heís smoother. His body language is different. Heís just a different guy. Heís matured a lot.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...2-1efd34ce7b18
Old 07-11-2014, 01:47 AM   #2
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Default Re: Mann on his group of WRs

Antonio Brown may be too good to leave off punt returns in 2014

By Jack Finn on Jul 9 2014

Rookie receiver Dri Archer was a premier kick returner in college, but was never tested as a punt returner. If he is unable to competently reutrn punts this year, and perhaps even if he is, All-Pro wide receiver Antonio Brown may resume the role. Despite the inherent risks, Brown may simply be too good not to return punts in 2014.

Earlier in the off-season I wrote an article discussing the utility of Dri Archer, focusing on his ability to return kicks and punts. Archer is already an outstanding kick returner as evidenced in college, his blazing quick speed making him a breakaway threat whenever the opposing team's kicker is foolish enough to give him an opportunity.

Punt returning, however, is a different skill altogether. A punt returner is faced with a number of choices, whether to attempt a return, to fair catch or to let the ball bounce (depending on field position), all of which he must process in a considerably shorter space of time when compared to a kick-off before making a decision. In addition he must be aware of the proximity of the opposing team's gunners and factor it into his decision, all the while tracking the flight of the ball through the air.

Then of course he must have a sure pair of hands, not only to catch the football, but to ensure he doesn't fumble upon being hit on the ensuing return. As for the return itself, it's not all about straight-line speed and the ability to follow blockers as it is in returning a kick. A punt returner will almost certainly have to make one or two guys miss immediately upon catching the football, so agility, elusiveness and short area quickness are far more important skills to have than speed.

Dri Archer may very well have all these attributes, but as of yet he remains almost entirely untested as a punt returner, performing the task only six times in his four years at college.

In an ideal world Archer will perform both punt and kick returning duties in 2014, but if not the Steelers are left with a predicament.

They already have a pro bowl level returner in Antonio Brown, but returning punts or kicks is a risky business, exposing returners to potential big collisions and serious injury. Mike Tomlin had no qualms about using Brown for the role in 2013, but heading into 2014 Brown is by far the second most important player in the Steelers offense, and the linchpin of the passing game. The complete lack of experience and proven talent outside of Brown and veteran addition Lance Moore in the receiving corps put the Steelers in a precarious situation, even a niggling injury to Antonio Brown could spell doom for the offense and the season.

There is staunch support among some fans for removing Brown from punt returning duties, but the fact is if Dri Archer does not prove himself an above average punt returner, Antonio Brown is simply too good not to be utilised, regardless of the risk involved.

Per ESPN Brown fielded 55 punts in 2013, fair catching 23 and returning 32. He gained 409 yards and 1 touchdown, averaging 12.8 yards a return with his longest going for 67 yards.

To put that in some perspective, Brown finished third in yardage gained behind Golden Tate (585 yards) and Dexter McCluster (686 yards). The former had 19 more return attempts, whilst the latter had 26 more attempts. Both finished with an average yards per return below 12. Fourth place Julian Edelman finished with 374 yards from 35 attempts, 3 more than Brown.

No other player in the NFL who attempted 30 or more punt returns had an average yards per return of 12 or over, the closest was McCluster at 11.8, a full yard less than Brown.

Only eight players in the league last year had more than one punt return over 40 yards. Antonio Brown had five; the next closest player had three.

The stats clearly show that Brown was the most reliably explosive punt returner in the NFL in 2013, for which he was duly accorded a pro bowl berth.

Given how incredibly important field position is, and how an explosive special teams play can turn a game on its head, it is difficult to argue against Brown fielding punts again in 2014. Even if Dri Archer is a competent punt returner, would he be able to replicate Brown's success? Perhaps, but that would be expecting a great deal from an inexperienced rookie.

The question is, of course, does the risk outweigh the reward? That is what Mike Tomlin gets paid to decide, but if Brown does get injured during a special teams play rest assured the backlash will be severe.

2013 showed that if called upon Brown will perform return duties, and perform them well. However his comparatively high rate of fair catching suggests he is not willing to put himself at undue risk. Brown had the fourth highest number of fair catches of any returner in the league with 23. McCluster and Tate, both of whom fielded 20 more or more punts than Brown had 11 and 14 fair catches respectively.

Keeping himself out of harm's way was a smart thing to do considering how valuable he is as a receiver, and perhaps Mike Tomlin gave him specific instructions not to take any unnecessary risk. Julian Edelman, a receiver who similarly played a huge role in the Patriots passing game last season also had 23 fair catches, and the situation may be comparable.

From memory alone, there certainly seemed to be occasions where Brown had just enough space to attempt a return, but opted instead not to take the risk and fair catch. It's that risk/reward factor again, but who knows what could have happened if he took those slightly riskier opportunities.

Ideally, Dri Archer will be able to take over the reins of return man, both for kicking and punting. If not, it seems likely that Brown will once again be returning punts in 2014. There is currently no one else on the Steelers roster close to being capable of providing the same threat as Brown. Of course a player like LaRod Stephens-Howling or someone similar could be signed prior to the start of the season, but it would be very unlikely they would be able to match Brown's returning prowess.

Steelers fans may need to get comfortable seeing Brown field punts on special teams again in 2014. If he continues to fair catch at such a high rate he will continue to reduce the risk inherent in the role, but all it can take is one hit on one return to wreak havoc on the Steelers 2014 plans.

http://www.chatsports.com/pittsburgh...014-2-10069754
Old 07-11-2014, 06:25 AM   #3
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,485 Times in 3,697 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Mann on his group of WRs

Richard Mann, in his 2nd season as receivers coach, talks about the WRs as camp approaches

Richard Mann was hired by Mike Tomlin on Feb. 13, 2013 to bring an old-school, fundamental approach to coaching the Steelers wide receivers. With Jerricho Cotchery and Emmanuel Sanders having left as unrestricted free agents, the Steelers have undergone some turnover at the top of the depth chart, and therefore training camp will be a critical time for the development of the group.

Mann recently addressed a variety of issues pertaining to this group of wide receivers:

Q. Is Dri Archer showing the ability to be a multiple threat for this offense?
A. No question [he is]. We feel like he can be our ace in the hole, or the joker, since we can use him in various positions. We can move him around. We can utilize his running ability by lining him up as a running back, and he also has receiving skills. I think itís up to Coach Haley and the offensive staff to put him in places where he can succeed. I think heís going to be a weapon for us.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...2-1efd34ce7b18

Hey @The_Joker is that you????????

We've finally successfully identified a Steeler player that posts here!

You've been holding out on us buddy!

pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (07-11-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #4
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,908 Times in 983 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Having AB as our regular punt returner is like playing with fire.
He's way too valuable in the passing game to risk losing his services.
I'd force feed the job onto Archer throughout training camp and preseason and unless he proves to be a fumbling machine, I'd give him the job.
AB may be our best returner but I'd sacrifice that to make sure he can line up at WR each and every offensive series.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrancoLambert For This Useful Post:
BlaZeQuietly (08-02-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #5
CNEW
Team Captain

Member Number: 25021

The Brown returning punts article is really hard to argue against. I hope they use him similarly to how they used Holmes for punt returns: only put him back there when we need a big play. Brown was returning a punt 40 or more yards ever 6 punts he returned. That's insane. It's a weapon for our team and I think it's worth the risk of injury, especially considering how elusive Brown is at avoiding a big hit.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CNEW For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #6
The_Joker
Living Legend

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,126 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
Hey @The_Joker is that you????????

We've finally successfully identified a Steeler player that posts here!

You've been holding out on us buddy!

Curses, foiled again!
Hawaii 5-0 (07-11-2014), pczach (07-11-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Camp Insider: Moye ready for battle

Steelers wide receiver Derek Moye, shown (14) during OTAs earlier this summer, is in a battle to retain his spot on the 53-man roster.

Published: Friday, July 25, 2014
By Chris Bradford & Ron Musselman

LATROBE -- Second-year WR Derek Moye (Rochester) finds himself in a tough battle.

The Steelers lost Jerricho Cotchery and Emmanuel Sanders to free agency, but signed veterans Darrius Heyward-Bey and Lance Moore. They are competing with oft-injured Markus Wheaton, fourth-round draft pick Martavis Bryant, Moye and his former Penn State teammate, Justin Brown, for roster spots. Antonio Brown, coming off a record setting season, is a lock as the teamís No. 1 receiver.

ďI just got to come in here and perform every day, and have a performance similar to last year,Ē said Moye, who caught two passes for 20 yards and a touchdown in seven games a year ago. ďAnd I have to go out there and prove that I deserve to be on the team. Ö (Last year) definitely gave me a lot of experience and showed me what to expect as an NFL player, an NFL receiver. Ö I think we got a lot of talented receivers. Ö For me personally, I feel like Iím as good as any of them and I have a great shot of making the team.Ē

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/st...7a43b2370.html
Old 07-25-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
CanadianSteelerNation
Water Boy

Member Number: 25978
My Mood: Psychedelic

I think Moye deserves a shot over Heyward Bey, I think he has more upside as well
Old 07-25-2014, 10:32 PM   #9
SteelCityCountry
Water Boy

Member Number: 25824

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianSteelerNation View Post
I think Moye deserves a shot over Heyward Bey, I think he has more upside as well
I don't disagree with this, but Moye is really going to have to show a good bit to beat out DHB. DHB can be a solid special tea guy as well, which gives him added value.
SteelCityCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:32 PM   #10
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Alex Kozora @alex_Kozora:

Justin Brown is clearly ahead of Heyward-Bey. 85 with camp bodies.

Justin Brown with an encouraging practice. Soft hands, has big catch radius.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora