Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 08-26-2014, 05:10 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,724 Times in 1,573 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default USC cornerback suffers sprained ankles saving nephew from drowning

University of Southern California senior cornerback Joshua Shaw likely won't play in the Trojans' season opener Saturday against Fresno State, but he's already being hailed by his coach as a hero after spraining both his ankles jumping off a second-story balcony to rescue his 7-year-old nephew from drowning.

The school said the incident occurred Saturday evening, when Shaw was attending a family party at his cousin's apartment in Palmdale, Calif. At one point, Shaw saw his nephew Carter, who cannot swim, struggling in the apartment complex's pool. With no one else nearby, Shaw jumped off the balcony onto the concrete below. Despite the pain, USC said Shaw was able to crawl into the pool and pull his nephew to safety before maneuvering himself out of the water.

Shaw was taken to the hospital where he was diagnosed with two high ankle sprains. He said Carter was traumatized, but physically in good shape.

Earlier in the evening, Shaw had been named a team captain. Now, he will be sidelined indefinitely due to his injuries.

"I would do it again for whatever kid it was, it did not have to be my nephew," Shaw told USC's website. "My ankles really hurt, but I am lucky to be surrounded by the best trainers and doctors in the world. I am taking my rehab one day at a time, and I hope to be back on the field as soon as possible."

"That was a heroic act by Josh, putting his personal safety aside," USC football coach Steve Sarkisian told the school's website. "But that's the kind of person he is. It is unfortunate that he'll be sidelined for a while and we will miss his leadership and play, but I know he'll be working hard to get back on the field as soon as possible."

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/0...from-drowning/
Old 08-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,724 Times in 1,573 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: USC cornerback suffers sprained ankles saving nephew from drowning

USC vetting Josh Shaw's story of rescuing drowning nephew

Just as the college football world was celebrating the feel-good story of USC CB Josh Shaw saving his nephew from drowning, the school announced on Tuesday that it had received calls contradicting Shaw's description of the event.

USC announced on Monday that Shaw suffered high ankle sprains on both legs after jumping from a second-story balcony to save his drowning nephew, who was alone in a pool and without help nearby during a family party on Saturday night.

People praised Shaw, a senior captain for the Trojans, on Twitter. He made the nightly newscasts and was front and center in the local papers.

However, after USC's Tuesday morning practice, head coach Steve Sarkisian said the school had received some calls contradicting Shaw's story.

"(Shaw's) a good person, he's a good kid," Sarkisian told reporters on Tuesday. "He came to us with what had occurred Saturday night and I have no reason, no history to not believe Josh and his story and what has occurred.

"Within the last few hours or so we have gotten a few phone calls contradicting what Josh said occurred Saturday night. We're going to continue to vet it. We're looking at it."

Shaw was not made available to the media on Tuesday.

Shaw is the Trojans' top cornerback and was selected as a team captain on Saturday. He started all 14 games last season for the team and is expected to be out the next several weeks while recovering from his injuries.

However, if it turns out that his story isn't true, he might need to address far more damaging issues.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...shaws-injuries