Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 05-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,435 Times in 1,406 Posts
Default I HATE THIS BUT: THE WAY TOO EARLY POST DRAFT GRADES.

Rd 1 - #15(15) Ryan Shazier (OLB) Ohio St ESPN Video
Rd 2 - #14(46) Stephon Tuitt (DE) Notre Dame ESPN Video
Rd 3 - #33(97) Dri Archer (RB) Kent St
Rd 4 - #18(118) Martavis Bryant (WR) Clemson
Rd 5 - #17(157) Shaquille Richardson (CB) Arizona
Rd 5 - #33(173) Wesley Johnson (C) Vanderbilt
Rd 6 - #16(192) Jordan Zumwalt (OLB) UCLA
Rd 6 - #39(215) Dan McCullers (DT) Tennessee
Rd 7 - #15(230) Rob Blanchflower (TE) UMass

and 10 udfa

Pittsburgh Steelers 2014 Rookie Free Agents
Player Pos. Ht. Wt. College
Devon Carrington DB 6-1 204 Stanford
Chris Elkins OL 6-4 300 Youngstown State
Ethan Hemer DE 6-6 285 Wisconsin
Kaycee Ike OT 6-5 293 UAB
Howard Jones LB 6-4 238 Shepherd
Brendon Kay QB 6-4 228 Cincinnati
Josh Mauro DE 6-6 282 Stanford
Roy Philon DT 6-3 291 Louisville
Will Simmons OG 6-5 342 East Carolina
Eric Waters TE 6-5 245 Missouri

Here we fire away with your way too early grades
The Following User Says Thank You to ebsteelers For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 3,161 Times in 1,365 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: I HATE THIS BUT: THE WAY TOO EARLY POST DRAFT GRADES.

They all suck.

Another sh*t draft from Shittsburgh

#ClevelandWinningTheNorth #Manziel>God #SteelersSuck #YouKnowI'mRight #LilWayneLaugh

Nah but for real tho have any of you seen that Johnny Manziel got drafted?? crazy!!!!
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BLACK_AND_YELLOW For This Useful Post:
Blacksburg Zach (05-11-2014), Buddha Bus (08-18-2014), harrison'samonster (05-11-2014), kan_t (05-11-2014), StainlessStill (05-11-2014), SteelerJT (05-11-2014), SteelersCanada (05-11-2014), steelfury02 (05-12-2014), vrabinec (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,937 Times in 2,858 Posts
My Mood: Tired

I give them a solid incomplete

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (08-18-2014), NSMaster56 (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion!

In my opinion I give this draft a B+.

We filled needs, and got a lot faster, and bigger on both sides of the ball.

We got some versatility guys but also got guys who will contribute on special teams as well.

The reason I didn't give the draft an A is because of not drafting a DB until round 5. I thought that was a little bit of a questionable move. I do like Shaq Richardson though and think he can definitely come in and help, and he will need to come in and help right away either via special teams, and as a 3rd or 4th corner

I hope this shows Ike we still believe in him and he is drinking the fountain of youth choice right now for one more good season out of him..

Rd 1 - #15(15) Ryan Shazier (OLB) Ohio St A- I think he will be a stud for us, was a little confused by the pick with dennard still on the board, but after watching and reading I think he brings a big time dimension to our team that we havent had lately. The pick improves the secondary

Rd 2 - #14(46) Stephon Tuitt (DE) Notre Dame A first round talent, need to get the most out of him he has potential.. He played in the 3-4 in ND so he can come in and play right away. We need a vet to take him under his wing though so he plays up to his potential. Another pick that improves the secondary without drafting it.

Rd 3 - #33(97) Dri Archer (RB) Kent St B+ I like the pick just thought he was going to be picked later on. More team speed, fastest player in the combine, slot receiver who can run the ball, Probably will need to do more than return kicks to make it worth the 3rd round but even if he improves our average starting field position by 5-10 + yards. Get the ball at the 35/40 our offense will immediately see the results.

Rd 4 - #18(118) Martavis Bryant (WR) Clemson- B+ another player who is an earlier round talent but dropped for different reasons. He is the big play big wr Ben wants so lets see what he does with him. Didnt havet he best qb in college so hopefully playing with Ben helps him alot. Good value at this point. Should improve offense in his first year.

Rd 5 - #17(157) Shaquille Richardson (CB) Arizona B interesting to wait until round 5 to draft first corner, but have faith in Lake to keep improving the secondary. Hopefully he sees sometime in different packages, but in the mean time he can contribute on special teams like most rookies should. Could improve the secondary with in a year or 2.

Rd 5 - #33(173) Wesley Johnson (C) Vanderbilt- B nice depth pick here, we always have problems with linemen staying healthy, apparently he can play all 3 positions with goes with position flexible, hoping he is like Beachum and can contribute for the o line. I dont believe he will be a threat to any starters, but you never know. Played in a big time conference so he has seen top d linemen. Improves O line Depth

Rd 6 - #16(192) Jordan Zumwalt (OLB) UCLA B- special teams, depth move, sounds like he is a good run stuffer, Special Team should improve with the pick

Rd 6 - #39(215) Dan McCullers (DT) Tennessee- B+- BIG BIG BIG. 2 down player will help improve the dline. Not sure how he was still here at this point in the draft. But if he stays in shape, he can really help improve the run defense. Hes a big of a project to go with Nick Williams though, both could be studs or duds. Coach has 2 projects now, lets see what he can do

Rd 7 - #15(230) Rob Blanchflower (TE) UMass B- - dont really know much about him besides that he looks like Gronk. Well if he plays like Gronk then its a steal. Thought there was some options I liked better here but if he can sit and learn behind Heath maybe we got something.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post
They all suck.

Another sh*t draft from Shittsburgh

#ClevelandWinningTheNorth #Manziel>God #SteelersSuck #YouKnowI'mRight #LilWayneLaugh

Nah but for real tho have any of you seen that Johnny Manziel got drafted?? crazy!!!!
If you had no idea what football was and you watched ESPN this weekend you would of learned:

Johnny Manziel and Michael Sam.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ebsteelers For This Useful Post:
Blacksburg Zach (05-11-2014), BLACK_AND_YELLOW (05-11-2014), Buddha Bus (08-18-2014), harrison'samonster (05-11-2014), kan_t (05-11-2014), Marto.Argentina (05-11-2014), MDSteel15 (05-12-2014), NSMaster56 (05-11-2014), SteelersCanada (05-11-2014), steelersfan77 (05-11-2014), steelfury02 (05-12-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,422 Times in 4,682 Posts

In any draft, you're looking for two - three starters. If you manage this, it was an excellent draft. I think we hit on two starters in the first two rounds with Martavis Bryant eventually taking over the reins of our #2 in 2015. Tack on a playmaker in Dri Archer, an excellent depth offensive linemen in Johnson and a mammoth project in McCullers and this was an excellent draft.

The most intriguing part of this draft actually came after it was over, however. Josh Mauro from Stanford and Howard Jones from Shepherd are both ridiculously high upside players with the potential to not only crack our roster, but be in the rotation. Mauro was considered a top 100 prospect as of early April, but fell due to not getting an invite at the combine (which was a god damn travesty, mind you).
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (05-11-2014), Buddha Bus (08-18-2014), ebsteelers (05-11-2014), harrison'samonster (05-11-2014), kan_t (05-11-2014), NSMaster56 (05-11-2014), SteelerJT (05-11-2014), steelfury02 (05-12-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
In any draft, you're looking for two - three starters. If you manage this, it was an excellent draft. I think we hit on two starters in the first two rounds with Martavis Bryant eventually taking over the reins of our #2 in 2015. Tack on a playmaker in Dri Archer, an excellent depth offensive linemen in Johnson and a mammoth project in McCullers and this was an excellent draft.

The most intriguing part of this draft actually came after it was over, however. Josh Mauro from Stanford and Howard Jones from Shepherd are both ridiculously high upside players with the potential to not only crack our roster, but be in the rotation. Mauro was considered a top 100 prospect as of early April, but fell due to not getting an invite at the combine (which was a god damn travesty, mind you).
googled howard jones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE61Bz7IHKg

Hope its not this guy we drafted

Have to check out both Mauro and Jones more than.,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebsteelers For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (05-11-2014), SteelersCanada (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #8
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQPLAJaKS-w

Josh Mauro highlight tape

STRENGTHS: Broad-shouldered, country-strong defensive lineman whose versatility is sure to intrigue scouts operating for 4-3 and 3-4 teams alike. Lined up predominately at defensive end for the Cardinal but also saw action inside as a defensive tackle and even on the nose. Possesses good initial quickness off the snap and is very powerful, using his long arms and strong hands to stonewall would-be blockers and often shed them to be in position to make a play at the point of attack. Physical tackler who arrives with a thud and wraps his arms securely for the reliable take-down. Alert defender who gets his hands into passing lanes. High effort player who hustles down the line of scrimmage in an effort to make the play. Projects best as a five-technique defensive end. WEAKNESSES: Steadily improved throughout his collegiate career but may be maxed out athletically-speaking. Surrounded by a lot of talent and was not the focus of opponents' blocking schemes. Offers little as a traditional pass rusher. While quick, strong and determined, does not possess the top-end speed or the flexibility to turn the corner and close in a flash. COMPARES TO: Brett Keisel, Steelers -- Don't count on Mauro for blinding speed off the edge but his size, strength and toughness could make him a dependable five-technique defensive end, like the Steelers' Keisel. --Rob Rang (1/14/14)

comparable to the Diesel.. well thats perfect then.. just needs beard
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ebsteelers For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (05-11-2014), pczach (05-11-2014), SteelersCanada (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,422 Times in 4,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsteelers View Post
Have to check out both Mauro and Jones more than.,
Mauro:

BOTTOM LINE English-born, high-motor, developmental five-technique with intriguing growth potential. Is a bit top-heavy. Still growing into his body and learning how to use his hands. Has generated solid production from a wave role and could continue to be molded into a solid fencepost for a 3-4 front. Draws semblances to a young Brett Keisel, drafted in the seventh round by the Steelers in 2002, and has the makeup to play a long time in an unsung role occupying blockers and defending the run.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...uro?id=2543859

COMPARES TO: Brett Keisel, Steelers -- Don't count on Mauro for blinding speed off the edge but his size, strength and toughness could make him a dependable five-technique defensive end, like the Steelers' Keisel. --Rob Rang (1/14/14)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...247/josh-mauro

Keisel Jr.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (05-11-2014), Buddha Bus (08-18-2014), harrison'samonster (05-11-2014), kan_t (05-11-2014), SteelerJT (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,366 Times in 4,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsteelers View Post
If you had no idea what football was and you watched ESPN this weekend you would of learned:

Johnny Manziel and Michael Sam.
I loved the television footage of michael sam at home the moment he got the telephone call saying that he had been drafted by the rams.

It looked and sounded just like a bunch of steelerfans every round that we did not draft a cornerback.

They all will give this draft a "D" grade.