Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 08-17-2014, 03:11 AM   #1
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 6,652 Times in 2,540 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Gene Collier: Finished product short of halfway

Gene Collier: Finished product short of halfway
August 17, 2014
By Gene Collier / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Halfway through this preseason, you might presume the Steelers are halfway toward presenting themselves as a finished product, and you might even be halfway right.

Ryan Shazier certainly looked to be on schedule against Buffalo Saturday night, assuming you mean on schedule for Canton.

In his first professional assignment, the Steelers No. 1 draft pick made tackles all over the lawn -- four on Buffalo's first possession, two on special teams, and three others -- and made a leaping balletic interception in front of Bills tight end Scott Chandler that he returned 27 yards.

One of only six players in the long storied history of Ohio State football to make 200 career tackles, and the owner of a school-record nine forced fumbles, Shazier bounced back spectacularly from a training camp injury -- a "boo boo" according to freelance orthopedist Mike Tomlin -- and looked very much like the full blown menace the Steelers figured he would be on draft day.

Similarly impressive were Ben Roethlisberger and his wide receivers, who gouged the Bills for touchdowns of 76 (Antonio Brown) and 16 (Markus Wheaton) yards, as the Steelers erected a 10-point lead after one quarter despite having the football for only 4:25 of the first 15:00.

All good, but there was plenty of bad in this second dress rehearsal of four, and a stiff dose of dumb as well.

It's only what the preseason is for, after all.

How many fans, for example, in their first Heinz Field outing of 2014, forgot that diapers and wipes are OK for admittance but diaper bags are strictly forbidden?

I'm guessing it was in the dozens.

Fan attire maybe wasn't in keeping with regular season standards either. One audience member showed up wearing the standard jersey in home black, No. 23, with the name above it reading, "PSALM."

That's right. Psalm 23.

And in that first quarter, the Steelers player who was wearing 23, newly acquired safety Mike Mitchell, was interpreting Psalm 23 in unprecedented ways, unless you're familiar with the one that goes, "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not commit unsportsmanlike conduct. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures and leadeth me to the home sideline to be chewed out by Mike Tomlin and Dick LeBeau."

I must have missed that in the King James version.

The Steelers had just flipped a 3-0 Buffalo lead with Roethlisberger's slant-and-scamper to Brown, and Shazier had just made the second of his special teams tackles, when Bills running back C.J. Spiller was run out of bounds on the Steelers sideline after a short gain that would have set up a third-and-5. Some not-entirely-unpredictable jawing erupted at that point, and it looked like as though that was all until Mitchell arrived to deliver some of that veteran leadership the Steelers thought they acquired in the erstwhile Carolina Panthers safety.

One unsportsmanlike conduct penalty later, the Bills were at the Steelers 49. Two plays later, Shazier snatched E.J. Manuel's pass down the middle and ran it back to the Buffalo 37, but not before Mitchell measured the tight end well behind the play and flattened Chandler just for the heck of it.

More veteran leadership.

Even though Mitchell wasn't flagged for that nonsense, Tomlin was incensed. The head coach interrupted an impromptu LeBeau lecture and got right in Mitchell's grill, gesticulating purposefully, leaving little for interpretation.

Elsewhere in the secondary, mistakes were plainly evident, as when started left corner Cortez Allen got flagged for illegal hands to the face of Buffalo wideout Sammy Watkins, the fifth player taken in May's draft. Watkins left the field and did not return after what was termed a ribs evaluation.

"We missed a few plays here and there but as a whole I feel like we played pretty good defense," linebacker Lawrence Timmons said. "We played the line of scrimmage well. It's just a start and we're still trying to get better. We're still a long way from where we want to be."

Allen's indiscretion sustained a Buffalo field-goal drive, and Mitchell was called for a second penalty, this one for holding, which the Bills declined because they converted the third-down play anyway.

Veterans are obviously permitted a share of preseason mistakes in sharpening their skills as well, and Heath Miller took advantage of that with a dropped pass and then an 8-yard reception on third-and-9, still among the least-electrifying plays in football.

With the exception of Shazier, the most electrifying Steelers player was again rookie Dri (That's DREE as in DREE-mendous) Archer, whom Tomlin described in training camp as one of several "space football players," the Steelers have had over the years (a nice nod to the 45th anniversary of the moon landing, I thought). Taking a swing pass in space from backup quarterback Landry Jones early in the third quarter, Archer rolled 40 yards down the right sideline. It was his second reception of 40 or more in two weeks, so it looks as though he can play in the NFL.

Of course, you knew that, because last week he said, "I showed that I can play in the NFL."

With a good portion of these Steelers rookies, there's no such thing as halfway confident.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/g...s/201408170193
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-17-2014), pczach (08-17-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 07:26 AM   #2
Lambert4President
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24991
Default Re: Gene Collier: Finished product short of halfway

Do you think that Collier doesn't like Mike Mitchell?
harrison'samonster (08-17-2014), Lady Steel (08-17-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,066 Posts

It's going to take a few weeks of the regular season for this D to gel. We gave up way to much yardage on the ground last game. Once we get that fixed, everything else will fall into place.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-17-2014), Lady Steel (08-18-2014), pczach (08-18-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Gnutella
Head Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 2,411 Times in 884 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
It's going to take a few weeks of the regular season for this D to gel. We gave up way to much yardage on the ground last game. Once we get that fixed, everything else will fall into place.
I've already said more than once that the defense will take the same trajectory this season that the offense did last season: struggling early, but coming together as the season progresses.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gnutella For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-17-2014), pczach (08-18-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
CNEW
Team Captain

Member Number: 25021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I've already said more than once that the defense will take the same trajectory this season that the offense did last season: struggling early, but coming together as the season progresses.
That begs the question then: Is the offense in 2014 further along at this point than the defense was in 2013?

I certainly think so. But we'll see come week 1.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CNEW For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-17-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 04:06 AM   #6
Gnutella
Head Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 2,411 Times in 884 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
That begs the question then: Is the offense in 2014 further along at this point than the defense was in 2013?

Honestly, it's impossible to say. The defense is playing against basic offensive schemes. We won't know for sure until opposing offenses start putting together legitimate game plans against them.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gnutella For This Useful Post:
CNEW (08-18-2014), harrison'samonster (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 06:30 AM   #7
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,504 Times in 3,702 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post

Defenses generally evolve and develop at a much quicker pace than offenses do. It's always been that way, and I expect the same here. I would think by the fifth or sixth game, they should start to come into their own. The only thing I see that could prevent them from being a pretty good defense is if there is a fatal flaw in stopping the run. If McClendon isn't getting it done, and Cam Thomas or McCullers can't shore up the NT position, they will struggle. I see NT as the position that will ultimately decide how good or bad this defense is this year.

I think Worilds is going to rush the passer well if healthy. I think Jones is going to be better and more consistent this year. I think our ILB's are going to make a ton of plays. I think our defensive tackles are going to be fine, including Tuitt.

The secondary will improve as they play together, and the better rush should help protect them from a lack of elite talent at the cornerback position.

Let's hope for no injuries so this group could give their best, and the rookies could get their legs under them and gain the experience they need to progress as the season goes along.

I'm making some assumptions here, but I think the last few drafts have added a ton of talent to this roster, and are going to be the foundation for the team's success over the next 7-8 years. I really think this years draft class is going to be special.

I wouldn't even say it isn't out of the question that 2 or even 3 rookies are starting by the end of this season. Shazier, Tuitt, and even McCullers if McClendon isn't getting it done. I may be getting ahead of myself, but I see it as a real possibility.

In a perfect world, all the current starters will play great, and the rookies will be great depth and continue to develop until they are ready to take over, but the perfect world usually doesn't exist.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
CNEW (08-18-2014), harrison'samonster (08-18-2014), Lady Steel (08-18-2014), SteelerJT (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

I have to wonder if taunting penalties is just one more of those things that will legally let the refs decide the outcome of the game. Define taunting, and where the line for the penalty is drawn, and why is that even an NFL penalty anyway. If a Cheatriot defender does a gloat dance after a dirty hit on one of our receivers is that as likely to be a penalty as if a Steeler defender just says "hi" to a Cheatriot player on the field. We all know the real answer to that.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jiminpa For This Useful Post:
Born2Steel (08-18-2014), Lady Steel (08-18-2014), teegre (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
Born2Steel
Team Captain

Member Number: 25772
My Mood: Sneaky

I was very disappointed with Mike Mitchell also. I don't think he will be here long if he can't shut up and play ball.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #10
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,053 Times in 3,367 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

yeah i hope he's not the next tyrone carter. not that i didn't think he was a good backup safety, but we signed mitchell to be starter material
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
steelfury02 (08-18-2014)