Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #31
Rabbit
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 24863
My Mood: Flirty
Default Re: Mike Adams: Is he fighting to make the team?

Disclaimer: I was vocally critical of the Mike Adams pick when we made it.

Anyway, the hatred and vitriol being tossed at him recently is absolutely incorrect, and unnecessary. All the beat writers singling him out has put it in everyone's minds that he's basically useless, even though that's not the case. Has he had his fair share of struggles? Absolutely. But it's ludicrous to sit here and blame a guy who wasn't at fault for our blocking struggles last night. The announcers were praising him. The coaches praised him. PFF's grades had him as the best pass blocker on the field last night. Yet when guys like Chris Hubbard and Wesley Johnson have terrible games, we just pin it on Adams and whine about what a bust he is.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rabbit For This Useful Post:
BLACK_AND_YELLOW (08-11-2014), El-Gonzo Jackson (08-10-2014), MontaniSemperLiberi (08-10-2014), pczach (08-10-2014), SH-Rock (08-10-2014), SteelerJT (08-10-2014), teegre (08-10-2014), zcoop (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 09:44 PM   #32
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,144 Times in 860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
I think most of the "hate" directed at Adams comes from the fact that he was a second round pick.

For that supposed value he fails. Seems to me that we're still straining to see improvement.

I'm not a supporter of him.....I think he gets handled much too easily one on one and his footwork sucks. I'm sure Coach Gonzo and others who study the game could support me or refute me on this with more validity.

Like others have posted, if he wasn't a 2nd rounder he'd be on his way out sooner than later.
Thanked.

ThankedThankedThankedThankedThankedThankedThankedT hankedThankedThanked.

The simple fact that some are using Guy Whimper to make this dude look good is telling. For a second round draft pick, one to where we took a great chance on...not to mention the want for this guy to be a staple LT on our team for a long, long time and then compare that to his 3 year play just isn't cutting it. He just looks soft to me. If he would emerge to challenge for a starting spot then more power to us but I doubt that happens when we NEED him to. I hope he does but I won't hold my breath.

Last edited by StainlessStill; 08-10-2014 at 09:56 PM.
StainlessStill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StainlessStill For This Useful Post:
FrancoLambert (08-11-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #33
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,469 Times in 1,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
I think most of the "hate" directed at Adams comes from the fact that he was a second round pick.

For that supposed value he fails. Seems to me that we're still straining to see improvement.

I'm not a supporter of him.....I think he gets handled much too easily one on one and his footwork sucks. I'm sure Coach Gonzo and others who study the game could support me or refute me on this with more validity.

Like others have posted, if he wasn't a 2nd rounder he'd be on his way out sooner than later.
F.L...I said when he was drafted that he was sloppy in his technique and his lack of work in the weight room was a red flag to me, but his size and athleticism showed huge upside. He wasnt NFL ready in my mind, but I dont work with him like the coaches do, so I cant be sure.

I hoped he would be put at RT in year 2 to get used to the NFL in the position not going against the leagues best pass rushers, so he could improve his game and look at LT by season 3, but I think throwing him into the fire last year hurt his development and confidence.

IMO, fans see a guy that was put into a position to fail by the coaches and want him cut because he didnt perform. I see a guy with the ability to be a starter for the Steelers that needs to be coached up and sadly the past 2 coaches didnt help his progression IMO. I think Munchak is his last hope and I'm confident Adams will make this team, but if he cant improve markedly, he likely will not be here for year 4.

I said Kraig Urbik will have a solid 10 year NFL career, I was yelling for Anthony Collins when we took Bruce Davis and Yelling for Carl Nicks when we took Tony Hills. I also pimped Matt Tennant from BC, so I'm not perfect.....but I think Adams is moving in the right direction and will trust in Munchak to keep things moving that way.

Stay calm and keep on(side) fellow Steeler fans.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #34
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,497 Times in 10,345 Posts
My Mood: Dead

I heard someone once say about marriage/relationships: "Expectations breed contempt."

For example, your wife expects you to surprise her with flowers, but instead you surprise her with chocolate... and she's disappointed. Had she had no expectations, she would have been pleased with the chocolates. But, alas, her "expectations" turned into "contempt."

With Adams, we see the prototypical size & athleticism, and our expectations are that he'll be the next Marvel Smith. Then... he uses poor technique, and more importantly, his development is slow. The "reality" does not meet our "expectations"... and thus, contempt ensues.

Adams has got the God-given talent. He's got the coach. And, most importantly, he's got the time to develop (Beachum & Gilbert are starting; so, he can develop while being a back-up). That said... sometimes, I just stare & wonder: "What are you doing, Adams???"

PERSONAL:
In that draft, I wanted DD, Spence, & Ta'amu. I got all three... as well as Adams. So, to me, Adams is a luxury pick. He's had two years, and he's got two more. If he pans out, great. If he doesn't, as I said: it was a luxury pick. In turn, I'm a little more patient about it than most.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
MontaniSemperLiberi (08-10-2014), pczach (08-11-2014), SteelerJT (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 10:08 PM   #35
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Can you still make guys head bleed in NHL2014?
You can still get pancakes during the Age of Enlightenment.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #36
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,469 Times in 1,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
You can still get pancakes during the Age of Enlightenment.
Gimme a Glen Gary and if you take it easy on the water this 50 cent piece has your name on it. You are so money.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:12 PM   #37
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Gimme a Glen Gary and if you take it easy on the water this 50 cent piece has your name on it. You are so money.
You are the guy behind the guy behind the guy.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:41 PM   #38
MontaniSemperLiberi
Banned

Member Number: 24812

Disclaimer: I'm no offensive line expert, just my uneducated perception of the disparity between what two LT's were asked to do and their differences in responsibility & expectations.

I still think Adams is better than Beachum because he gives the offense more blocking options--the difference-maker is in offensive line scheme. They were not asked to do the same type of things Saturday: when Beachum was in, the playcalling implemented what appears as a zone blocking scheme with some veer concepts that capitalize on his athleticism and minimize physical mismatches that Beachum often encounters. Often the defensive-end (Jason Pierre-Paul) was assigned to other (pulling) blockers (DeCastro, Spaeth, Miller...not Beachum), was double teamed (Beachum had help), he was left unblocked altogether (taking advantage of undisciplined defense), or isolated (we ran plays specifically away from Beachum's man).

I'm not a fan of implementing this type of "Guerrilla warfare" and "assymetrical tactics" full-time as the bread and butter of our offense, because it asks other players to leave their responsibilities to make up for
the mismatch presented by starting Beachum at LT. Eventually our opponents will catch-on.

With Adams in, I saw a mixture of zone and man playcalling, with a scheme that entrusted 76 to handle his assignment (the man lined-up across from him) with little assistance. While he didn't perform perfectly - he was consistently effective at blocking the man he was responsible for on Saturday.

Just want to get some expert offensive line perspective... did this happen or am I seeing things?
MontaniSemperLiberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:44 AM   #39
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,572 Times in 5,978 Posts
My Mood: Happy

I'm just as worried about Chris Hubbard and Bryant Browning being our 2nd string OGs as I am of Adams and Whimper being our backup OTs...
Old 08-11-2014, 01:50 AM   #40
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Thanked 1,265 Times in 620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
I'm just as worried about Chris Hubbard and Bryant Browning being our 2nd string OGs as I am of Adams and Whimper being our backup OTs...

Profile Pics that should be used for TV broadcasts should they ever have to start

Our backups really across the board on Offense, are really really shaky

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steel_Bus_24 For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (08-11-2014)