Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-10-2014, 06:53 AM   #21
JimmyG
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25035
Default Re: Steelers-NYGiants: Your winners, losers, thoughts...

The Good:

Dri (as advertised, and a tip of the hat to Haley. That was a magnificiently designed play with options to both sides), Spence, McCullers (might make it after all), Dangerfield, Bell, Wheaton, Blake (Best cover man on the team last night), JJ (A SACK!), Jones (heads up play for TD)

Eh:

Mitchell, Adams, Zumwalt (coupla nice hits but slow), Back up RBs (won't name names, because the blocking was suspicious).

Bad:
Whimper was worse than Adams, Bryant (drew PI calls but did not fight for the ball; can't rely on the zebras-witness hold on Timmons on TD- and, of course the muffed punt and fumble), Gradowski (very inaccurate, but was under pressure, especially early), Wing.

First preseason game for us. We'll see as starters play more, Depth, except at inside LB remains an issue.

Last edited by JimmyG; 08-10-2014 at 06:55 AM. Reason: omission
JimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyG For This Useful Post:
SteelerJT (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 07:10 AM   #22
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Wheaton looked really good

Dangerfield is a hitter

Poole stood out to me at RB and Special teams

Isaiah Green had a few nice plays

Dri looked good , never should have been caught?? but he looks so small on the field...I'm afraid he will get planted into next week and hurt

jarvis and Spence played good as well.

I like Justin Brown...seems like a gamer

Bryant looked out of place even when he wasn't involved in plays...Still think he is a wasted draft pick.

Only the first preseason game but lots of field goals ..need more TD's The Defense will give up lots of big plays this year. I hope they make more big plays than last year.
harrison'samonster (08-10-2014), Steelstoned1972 (08-10-2014), ZoneBlitzer (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #23
Cyphon
Head Coach

Member Number: 24613
Thanked 1,755 Times in 901 Posts

My thoughts:

- Have to talk about Sean Spence first. Obviously the biggest winner for what he has accomplished. And he ain't no Rudy. He didn't come in just to get one tackle. He looked really good from what I can tell. And following along this same path that makes Vince Williams a loser on the night. Not for his play but because he acquitted himself fairly well as a rookie starter last year and reports have him playing great at training camp but he ends up 2nd string to a guy who hasn't played much football in 2 years. It is great we have so much depth but also sad for good players.

- I see a lot listing Dri Archer as a big winner. That play was great but most of what was great was the design. His speed and choice of direction were nice to see but if he used the sidelines it could have been more and he looked pretty bad on PR's. His opportunities weren't great but he did get some and I couldn't help but miss AB there even if I would rather AB only play WR. Obviously he's a rookie so he can develop that but for right now purposes I wouldn't list him as a major standout for "winner".

- Martavis Bryant is about what I expected. Not a good thing btw. The scouting reports on him raised a lot of questions and so far that seems accurate. At this point (and I know there is still time) there is not a WR we have that I would replace with Bryant outside of any names I don't even know or Heyward Bay. I would keep Moye on as our big target who actually caught 2 TD's for us last year (one preseason) and had a chance at a 3rd. He is a legit tall threat in the redzone and is more polished. A lot of people don't like him much but I do. At least situationally. Bryant has a ton of upside but there is a big "if" that he will ever achieve it. Still time though. Always keep that in mind.

- I hope we lose nobody on offense. Our strings beyond first looked high school level. Bradkowski overthrew that behemoth Matt Spaeth. How the hell do you overthrow someone who is 6'7 by 2 feet? For that alone he is a loser. Not to mention the play before where he threw a 2 yard pass behind a guy who is likely one of our slowest guys on offense.

- Le'Veon Bell has me pretty excited. I liked him last year but thought he was overrated (mostly in the passing game) and didn't think he brought a whole lot more than what we had been getting. But with the line working and him gaining experience he looks like he could be something special. Wasn't much with only so few plays but his couple of runs were great work.

- Was it just me or did Heath Miller look kind of soft? I could have swore I saw him miss a block and get knocked on his ass a time or 2 or just trip up at the very least. Not sure if it was always him though since we have like 4 white TE's.

- Who else was thinking "oh fuck it, here we go again" both on the Giants 78 yard run and when Foster went down before you knew it was just an eye poke? Those 2 things made my health a loser on the night.

- Mitchell is a hitter. Felt good to see that sideline hit where his helmet came off. And then of course to see him jawing the whole time on the way back. Not that I like talkers but for this early portion it is good to see him proving himself and gaining that respect.

- Dat special teams play again. Yuck. Shuisam missed a FG, Wing kicked a punt that seemed to come further backwards than any of his punts going forward and Archer/Bryant looked terrible as AB replacements on PR.

- That first drive with our starters looked about like where we left off and gives me high hopes for this team coming into the season. What doesn't is that our redzone play looked about like it did last year. We ain't gonna be successful this year if our only redzone threat is Shuisam.

Probably missing some stuff. I was watching the game at someones house and there were distractions but those are most of the things I can remember now.

Edit: If memory serves another loser on the night was that redzone fade to Lance Moore. Didn't we just draft a receiver who's only notable quality so far is that he is tall and potentially a RZ threat because of it? So why instead of throwing to him who is 6'4 we chose to throw it to 5'9 Lance Moore?

Last edited by Cyphon; 08-10-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Cyphon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #24
ZoneBlitzer
Team President

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Wheaton looked really good

Dangerfield is a hitter

Poole stood out to me at RB and Special teams

Isaiah Green had a few nice plays

Dri looked good , never should have been caught?? but he looks so small on the field...I'm afraid he will get planted into next week and hurt

jarvis and Spence played good as well.

I like Justin Brown...seems like a gamer

Bryant looked out of place even when he wasn't involved in plays...Still think he is a wasted draft pick.

Only the first preseason game but lots of field goals ..need more TD's The Defense will give up lots of big plays this year. I hope they make more big plays than last year.
Agreed. Bryant looks like another Limas in the wings. I'd be surprised if he makes the team. He's got horrible instincts and is mentally fragile.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #25
JimmyG
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25035

..and another thing: I would not be surprised if Justin Brown supplants Lance Moore as the slot receiver sooner rather than later. Why? Moore is a good route runner, but is not a deep threat and he is a big fat minus in blocking. Why have three smurf receivers.
JimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #26
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Good Guys:

Sean Spence: What a great problem to have at Linebacker. The guy comes back from a devastating injury and not only plays, but plays AWESOME.

Leveon Bell: Finished his runs pretty damn well.

Big Dan McCullers: As advertised. The guy just DOES NOT MOVE. Eating Space, Always in the play, making the tackle. If he keeps going, I can see him making the team as a situational space-eater. He's not quite there yet as an every down player, but he showed what he can do, and it's impressive.

Losers:

Martavius Bryant: Lima Bean Mk.II.

If Ben is down for any amount of time, we're screwed. Gradkowski has no accuracy, and Landry Jones is a big gump.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #27
Joelbushbaum
Starter

Member Number: 25082
My Mood: Innocent

Howard Jones looked good on special teams too. I'd say he was a winner
Joelbushbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #28
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,516 Times in 1,666 Posts

I cant understand the fans here that thought Dan McCullers played well? One play I saw the Giants #61 push him downfield single handedly and shove him after the play with no reaction. Another I saw McCullers on skates from a double team. Plays high and soft, IMO.

There was a play in the 4th where he actually held and caused a pile and tackle, but Fangopu plays with much better leverage than McCullers. I dont see him making the 53 unless he explodes in the next couple games.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #29
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Losers? The Pittsburgh Steelers. Clearly we will not win a single game this season based on this one preseason game. Oh well.... there's always next year!

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
Gnutella (08-10-2014), Goldsteel86 (08-10-2014), pczach (08-10-2014), SteelerJT (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #30
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,516 Times in 1,666 Posts

Gradkowski was a loser. He got smoked by JPP when Beachum got beat like a rented mule.

jpp.jpg

Pierre-Paul's looked good and, most importantly, healthy. That was evident when he tossed tackle Kevin Beachum aside on Saturday night and delivered a crushing hit on quarterback Bruce Gradkowski. All signs right now are positive with Pierre-Paul. http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...e_offense.html