Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 07-17-2014, 04:58 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,730 Times in 1,578 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Versatile linebacker Moats getting up to speed with Steelers

By Ralph N. Paulk
Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 9:30 p.m.
Updated 4 hours ago

Dick LeBeau watched with angst last season as age and injuries left the Steelers defense vulnerable to open-field runners and game-breaking receivers.

The venerable defensive coordinator had to come to grips with the reality that the Steelers lacked sufficient speed to slow down the likes of Minnesota's Adrian Peterson and Detroit's Calvin Johnson.

In a league in which speed is a necessity, the Steelers were lagging.

The Steelers discovered speed during the NFL Draft and in the free agent market. They landed Ohio State linebacker Ryan Shazier in the first round and signed two free agents: free safety Mike Mitchell and linebacker Arthur Moats.

“We had as good of an OTA (organized team activities) session as I've been a part of,” LeBeau said. “I'm excited about where we are.”

Mostly, LeBeau is excited about an infusion of speed. With Shazier, Moats, second-year linebacker Jarvis Jones and a healthy Cortez Allen at one corner, the Steelers are capable of recovering from missed tackles and blown assignments.

Moats, who played with the Buffalo Bills the past four seasons, is among the Steelers' most intriguing offseason acquisitions. He is a fast, versatile linebacker with immeasurable energy and an uncanny ability to adapt, considering he played for three defensive coordinators in Buffalo.

“I feel I bring a lot of versatility being able to play inside and out,” said Moats, who played mostly on the outside during minicamp. “At the same time, I know what it takes to be a part of the defense that has had success.”

The James Madison product, playing alongside linebacker Kiko Alonso, helped the Bills finish fourth in total defense in the AFC last season. But he had only 54 combined tackles — 105 less than Alonso.

The Steelers needed help at linebacker after the departure of LaMarr Woodley, James Harrison and Larry Foote the past two years. Moats considered other options, but he said the Steelers were an easy pick.

“I wanted a situation where I could contribute immediately and compete for a starting job,” Moats said. “I understand my role, so when I saw all the losses at linebacker, I was prepared to jump at the opportunity because I think we had a mutual interest.

“I wanted to come here, and they wanted me.

“It's an honor to be a part of a legacy and tradition of great linebackers. You definitely want to advance it further.”

While Moats can make the transition from outside to inside linebacker, he already has made an impression on special teams, a unit that often was as inconsistent as the defense during last season's 8-8 campaign.

“The Steelers have had a lot of success, and I'm confident they have the talent to compete for another championship,” Moats said. “They're trying to get over that little stumble they've had recently, and I'm sure I can help.

“I feel like my situation in Buffalo helped me a lot, including having three different defensive coordinators. I can't come out here half-stepping, so I'll be ready when camp starts.”

The Steelers are scheduled to report to training camp July 25 at St. Vincent. The first scheduled practice is July 26.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz37iMAcwMD
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
Old 07-17-2014, 07:48 AM   #2
CanadianSteelerNation
Water Boy

Member Number: 25978
My Mood: Psychedelic
Default Re: Versatile linebacker Moats getting up to speed with Steelers

Great signing, Ive watched this guy play live a few times, he has good speed can get off blocks and flows to the ball really well.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #3
Vis
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,966 Times in 2,867 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Are we Buffalo South?
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-14-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (08-14-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 08:17 AM   #4
IowaSteeler927
The Corn Shucking Hippie
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 3,528 Times in 1,589 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Almost forgot about Moats with all the Shazier talk. Hope this guy can contribute!
IowaSteeler927 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,799 Times in 5,674 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Moats catches on to new role with Steelers

August 14, 2014
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers linebacker Arthur Moats did not know he would go down in Brett Favre infamy that December day of his rookie season four years ago.

"I was just excited to be playing in an NFL game," Moats said Wednesday in a light summer rain at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe. "I wasn't even aware of the record."

The record stood as one of the more incredible feats of longevity, productivity and good health in sports history -- Favre's 297 consecutive starts at quarterback over 19 seasons in a brutal sport that often ends careers before they begin.

Moats not only squashed that streak, he helped hasten the end of Favre's brilliant career. It happened Dec. 5, 2010 in Minnesota with Favre playing in what would be his second-to-last NFL game with the Vikings and Moats a rookie linebacker for the Buffalo Bills.

"It was a sprint-action away," Moats recalled the play that started with Favre moving to his right. "I was on the backside. He was going to his right. I was chasing him.

"I remember the coaches the whole week talking about just keep pursuing on the backside and seal it because he likes to prolong plays, that's his M.O. Sure enough, that's what he started doing, he started drifting back to the inside, and I just closed on him and made the hit."

Moats caught Favre with a clean hit in the back as he was trying to pass.

"There was definitely a grunt," said Moats, recalling Favre's reaction.

The ball fluttered into the hands of a Buffalo teammate for an interception. Favre, 41, was done for the day with a bum right shoulder. He missed the following game against the New York Giants, the first time he did not play since his first season in Green Bay in 1992.

Favre would go on to play the next week, but, after throwing seven passes against the Chicago Bears, he was done. He never played another game and went on with his life's work selling Wrangler jeans.

"With Brett Favre, no one expected him not to play," Moats said, "because even though he was always banged up or something was wrong with him he always shows up and plays. It was a surprise for all of us.

"After the fact, it's definitely crazy to think about it. Man, think of all the guys who hit him before. From that aspect, it was kind of cool."

It also was cool Wednesday for Moats to practice against his former Bills teammates. They will practice again today, then play each other Saturday night at Heinz Field.

Moats has become the top backup at outside linebacker. If Jason Worilds or Jarvis Jones goes down, Moats goes up. He has made a smooth transition from playing the weak-side inside linebacker spot for the Bills in their hybrid 3-4 defense of last season. He welcomes the switch in position and his chances with his new team.

"It's a lot different, a lot more a rushing the passer and looking at things from the outside in. It's fun, especially since that's what I did in college. To be able start doing that again is good."

Moats started 12 games for Buffalo in 2013, his first as a regular, but the Bills did not re-sign him and he became an unrestricted free agent. He signed a one-year contract with the Steelers for $795,000, which means three of the top four outside linebackers on their depth chart all enter the final years of their contracts -- Moats, Worilds and Chris Carter.

"I hope I can stay here longer, though," said Moats, 26.

The Steelers are trying to beef up their pressure on the quarterback after their sacks dipped from 48 in their most recent Super Bowl season of 2010 to 35, 37 and 34 the past three seasons.

Moats' opportunity to help would only come in case of injury or if the two starters do not come through. They also talked to him about possibly playing inside linebacker in emergency situations.

"You think of the legacy of the Steelers defense," Moats said. "To have a chance to add to that with a new group of guys and start fresh is a great time."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz3AOKhLVYP
Old 08-14-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,050 Times in 3,365 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Moats is a baller, I don't know if he's long term starter material, but he's a solid player. He was the only player in the NFL last year with over 40 attempted tackles and missed zero.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-14-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (08-14-2014), SteelerJT (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,050 Times in 3,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Are we Buffalo South?
if that's the case, can we have sammy watkins and mario williams too?
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
SteelerJT
Living Legend

Member Number: 25777
Thanked 5,824 Times in 2,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
Moats is a baller, I don't know if he's long term starter material, but he's a solid player. He was the only player in the NFL last year with over 40 attempted tackles and missed zero.
Feel a lot better about him stepping up when needed than Chris Carter.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
Hi5Steeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16852

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
Almost forgot about Moats with all the Shazier talk. Hope this guy can contribute!
Moats will be better in our defense than the Bills 4-3. Arthur Moats will become a stud in our system.

He will become known as a steal of a pick up like Ryan Clark and James Farrior. He is more of a lock for that than Mike Mitchell our new Safety.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #10
Cyphon
Head Coach

Member Number: 24613
Thanked 1,595 Times in 829 Posts

I know this isn't exactly the point of this thread but I have seen/heard this sentiment a few times and I can't say that I am happy about it. Specifically what I am talking about is this.

"the Steelers are capable of recovering from missed tackles and blown assignments."

Shouldn't we be getting/starting players who won't fuck up in the first place? What is this "it's okay to fail" attitude? Since when is this a part of our organization?

So we have guys who will let a 5 yard play turn into a 20 yard play but that is okay because they are fast enough to stop it from going past 20? The fuck outta here with that.
Cyphon is offline   Reply With Quote