Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #21
Men of Steel
Team Captain

Member Number: 13746
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Team needs a mentality shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
I would be foolish to argue that the lack of a league mandated salary cap didn't contribute to 4 SB wins in 6 years.

It would be foolish to think that the lack of a salary cap was the main reason for 4 wins in 6 years.

It was certainly a factor, but the factors of coaching, leadership, talent, and personal pride carried more weight.
Exactly. Just because you pay a championship player a large sum of money, doesn't mean he will keep performing like a champion.

See: Lamar Woodley,
Old 08-13-2014, 08:45 AM   #22
rgj
Starter

Member Number: 7995
My Mood: Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
Training camp alone shows a mentality shift. These guys are out there getting pissed off, getting into the occasional scuffle, hitting hard, etc... Reading the camp notes from this year compared to last year and I think this team is a lot younger, and a lot hungrier than the teams we've seen the past few seasons.
I think that's probably the reason why the preseason loss to the Giants perturbed me. I was under the impression (rightly or wrongly) that there was a new "attitude" in camp. There was a hunger that had not been there for a few years. I was hoping that would translate to a new attitude on the field during games too. In preseason game one, I didn't see it. I saw half-hearted efforts for the most part (save for a few who obviously want to make the team), and that final drive to lose the game. Been there, seen that before, here we go again. I did watch the Browns game, to watch their new savior qb (maybe a bit above average at this point, but he did move the offense) and saw some enthusiasm that I did not see from the Steelers.

I hope I see a hungry, mean Steeler machine during preseason game 2.
rgj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #23
Silicor
Water Boy

Member Number: 26004

I think it is appropriate to say the team needs a "mean Joe" state of mind
Silicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:52 AM   #24
CNEW
Team Captain

Member Number: 25021

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgj View Post

This is a very funny quote, particularly because 41% of the players who are going to play extensively in the first 2 preseason games wont even make the team.
CNEW is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CNEW For This Useful Post:
NSMaster56 (08-13-2014), pczach (08-13-2014), SteelerJT (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #25
Joelbushbaum
Starter

Member Number: 25082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicor View Post
The Steelers get results, but is anyone besides me sick of...
- losing to inferior teams, while playing most tough teams tough
- rarely taking any kind of major lead
- having to have a chip on their shoulders to perform

With so many offensive weapons and most likely a better than average defense the Steelers should get a few blowouts. I'm realistic and we will work the clock, but every game shouldn't be a fight from behind affair or a last minute nail biter. I don't have data to support these observations, but it is my opinion that this has been the MO since Cowher.

This is my first post on this forum, but I'm a professional lurker and I constantly see comments like:
"oh crap, playing the worse team in the league"
"we play better when underdogs"
"love it when the media is against us"

I can't explain it, I don't know how to fix it, but it really irritates me. Only thing I can attribute it to is offensive leadership. Ben is a winner, but he isn't a front-runner.

Any thoughts?
We have an easy schedule and should be playing 2-3 games vs rookie QB's this season. I counted six games in the past two seasons that we lost to bad teams. You're right, we can't keep losing three or more games a year to teams under .500 and expect to make the playoffs.
Joelbushbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #26
HeinzMustard
Starter

Member Number: 25428

The starters on offense only played one drive vs. The Giants. Think about that for a second... one drive. Yes, we didn't score a TD... but that was due to a crappy play called in the red zone on 3rd down. The offense is going to be really good this year.... and the defense will be better than last year. I find it hard to question the 'mentality' of this team after one drive that Bell ran like a beast...the O-line run blocked and pass protected very well, Ben was accurate with his throws and Dri Archer proved that he was the real deal.
HeinzMustard is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HeinzMustard For This Useful Post:
SteelerJT (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 09:07 AM   #27
SteelerJT
Living Legend

Member Number: 25777
Thanked 5,616 Times in 2,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
This is a very funny quote, particularly because 41% of the players who are going to play extensively in the first 2 preseason games wont even make the team.
That's funny because you're applying logic to a bullshit, whiny complaint.
CNEW (08-13-2014), NSMaster56 (08-13-2014), pczach (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #28
CNEW
Team Captain

Member Number: 25021

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzMustard View Post
The starters on offense only played one drive vs. The Giants. Think about that for a second... one drive. Yes, we didn't score a TD... but that was due to a crappy play called in the red zone on 3rd down. The offense is going to be really good this year.... and the defense will be better than last year. I find it hard to question the 'mentality' of this team after one drive that Bell ran like a beast...the O-line run blocked and pass protected very well, Ben was accurate with his throws and Dri Archer proved that he was the real deal.
That's because you're not excusing away poor play from players that wont be in the NFL in a week with a lack of attitude.
CNEW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #29
cali_fan
Starter

Member Number: 25974

Yea I've pretty much already marked the Titans off as a loss this season lol.

But no seriously the league doesn't fear pitts anymore at all. Nobody respects our defense, nobody respects our QB, nobody fears us at all. As it's expected. We aren't the same 08 team offenses didn't know what to do against. Seems like a lot of experts have us finishing 2-3 in the division. Hopefully Tomlin can get us back to the respect we deserve by earning it.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #30
IowaSteeler927
The Corn Shucking Hippie
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 3,188 Times in 1,417 Posts
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgj View Post
I think that's probably the reason why the preseason loss to the Giants perturbed me. I was under the impression (rightly or wrongly) that there was a new "attitude" in camp. There was a hunger that had not been there for a few years. I was hoping that would translate to a new attitude on the field during games too. In preseason game one, I didn't see it. I saw half-hearted efforts for the most part (save for a few who obviously want to make the team), and that final drive to lose the game. Been there, seen that before, here we go again. I did watch the Browns game, to watch their new savior qb (maybe a bit above average at this point, but he did move the offense) and saw some enthusiasm that I did not see from the Steelers.

It's preseason man and it was the first game cutting their teeth. A lot of new faces, and don't forget we were without Shazier and McClendon.
IowaSteeler927 is online now   Reply With Quote