Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #31
HeinzMustard
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25428
Default Re: Team needs a mentality shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_fan View Post
Yea I've pretty much already marked the Titans off as a loss this season lol.

But no seriously the league doesn't fear pitts anymore at all. Nobody respects our defense, nobody respects our QB, nobody fears us at all. As it's expected. We aren't the same 08 team offenses didn't know what to do against. Seems like a lot of experts have us finishing 2-3 in the division. Hopefully Tomlin can get us back to the respect we deserve by earning it.
Nobody was fearing Pittsburgh at the beginning of the '04 season... and look what happened. I'm not saying this '14 team is gonna rip off 15 wins.... but IF some of the younger players from the '12-'14 draft classes step up.... good things are gonna happen for the Steelers. It's all speculation for now.... but the first two games vs. Browns and Ravens will tell us all we need to know.
HeinzMustard is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HeinzMustard For This Useful Post:
NSMaster56 (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #32
cali_fan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25974

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzMustard View Post
Nobody was fearing Pittsburgh at the beginning of the '04 season... and look what happened. I'm not saying this '14 team is gonna rip off 15 wins.... but IF some of the younger players from the '12-'14 draft classes step up.... good things are gonna happen for the Steelers. It's all speculation for now.... but the first two games vs. Browns and Ravens will tell us all we need to know.
The browns game isn't going to be a walk in the park. Like I said they have the possibility of having a top 5 defense and the ravens always play us well. I would have to agree with you
Old 08-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #33
rlajazz
Water Boy

Member Number: 25434

They need the 'expect to win every time they step on the field' mentality. The 70's Steelers had IT! They never
expected to lose and were pissed when they did. It was God help whoever they played the next week! Those teams physically and mentally intimidated their opponents, this team needs that. If they can develop that
mindset they will be a great team.
rlajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #34
BlaZeQuietly
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 18219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
don't know but we get the worst luck at times. like whats the deal with suisham missing 30 yard field goals in oakland? those should be chip shots for any NFL kicker
Suisham sucks, thats what the deal is, I've been saying we need to get rid of him for 2 years now. The argument used to be that "he cant hit them from 50+ but hes guaranteed from within 50, well that is clearly not true, I'm sick of seeing us punt on 51 yard fg possibilities.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #35
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,288 Times in 572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicor View Post
The Steelers get results, but is anyone besides me sick of...
- losing to inferior teams, while playing most tough teams tough
- rarely taking any kind of major lead
- having to have a chip on their shoulders to perform

With so many offensive weapons and most likely a better than average defense the Steelers should get a few blowouts. I'm realistic and we will work the clock, but every game shouldn't be a fight from behind affair or a last minute nail biter. I don't have data to support these observations, but it is my opinion that this has been the MO since Cowher.

This is my first post on this forum, but I'm a professional lurker and I constantly see comments like:
"oh crap, playing the worse team in the league"
"we play better when underdogs"
"love it when the media is against us"

I can't explain it, I don't know how to fix it, but it really irritates me. Only thing I can attribute it to is offensive leadership. Ben is a winner, but he isn't a front-runner.

Any thoughts?
I hear what you're saying -- we don't seem to have that "Strut" that other good teams seem to have.

For example, New England on paper is probably not that much different from most other good teams yet they have the sort of attitude that seems to intimidate opponents. The Steelers had that attitude throughout the 70's and it existed well into the 80's even when we were playing average football at best.

When we won those SB's in the 70's there was a definite "I Dare You To Beat Us" aspect to this team. But even after winning SB's XL and XLIII there seems to be a sort of "asterisk" attached - as if those wins were more flukes than actual dominance.

We need to get back to that "Get-the-fuck-out-of-our-way" attitude we've had in the past and the kind of reputation we once had when opponents just penciled in a "L" for themselves when they first got their schedules and saw that they had to play us.
NSMaster56 (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #36
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

The first three games will teach us where this team is mentally.

The Browns have developed some hype and swagger thanks to Manziel, the Ravens have been top dog of the division for some time along with Cincy, and the Panthers have Cam Newton and a pretty good Defense.

If the Steelers have the mojo and swagger back especially on Defense, they come out firing. If they slog, it's still missing.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #37
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 4,014 Times in 1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicor View Post
The Steelers get results, but is anyone besides me sick of...
- losing to inferior teams, while playing most tough teams tough
- rarely taking any kind of major lead
- having to have a chip on their shoulders to perform

Any thoughts?
Good first post. You are definitely not alone.

The most probable reasons why the Steelers seem to have trouble in certain situations (vs. perceived 'inferior' opponents) are:

1. Lack of talent and/or aging talent since 2011.

2. Over-reliance on emotion. It's hard to keep emotions consistently high or focused at pique levels. Ergo, we see the Steelers come out on 'emotional lows', fall behind and then respond with an 'emotional high' that falls short of victory. Then that carries over [througout the season] as the losses pile up.

*and this is the BIG one that most people seem to overlook*

3. Other teams treat the Steelers as a barometer. The Steelers are a 'prestigious' franchise that other teams, especially downtrodden ones, aspire to be like. Teams like the Raiders, Titans, etc. are going to play the Steelers 'like it's their Super Bowl', because in many ways it is. Sports are not played on paper, nor are they some one-sided affair. The other team may very well come out ready to play fearlessly. The Steelers have to compensate for that.

Quote:
I don't have data to support these observations
Stats back up the 'eye test'.

Steelers were 23rd in the league (10th worst) in NET first half points (@ -27). They were ninth best in the NFL in the second half (+36).

Pretty much every other playoff team (except the Packers, who were a unique case) ranked in or near the top-10 in both categories. The three biggest outliers were the Colts (20th and fourth), Chargers (11th and 12th) and the Packers (15th and 18th).

Specifically, the Steelers were tied for the second best third quarter/post-half time NET points. They were +49 NET points in the third quarter. Only Arizona at +52 was better (Seattle was also +49).

So whatever pep talk or adjustments or what have you that's happening at half time needs to be carried over before opening kickoff.
NSMaster56 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NSMaster56 For This Useful Post:
pczach (08-13-2014), SteelerEmpire (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #38
HeinzMustard
Bench Warmer

[QUOTE=FanSince72;1348860

For example, New England on paper is probably not that much different from most other good teams yet they have the sort of attitude that seems to intimidate opponents.[/QUOTE]

The Patriots haven't won anything in 10 years. Yeah.... they tear it up in the regular season because of their weak division, but without the dominant defense they had in the early 00's.... they can't win the big game. Patriots have an advantage over other good AFC teams because of their division. With the exception of a couple of years of the Jets being a good team... the Patriots have had nobody to even come close to compete with them. It's not that the Patriots are so good... it's because their division rivals have been so bad.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #39
HeinzMustard
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post

When we won those SB's in the 70's there was a definite "I Dare You To Beat Us" aspect to this team. But even after winning SB's XL and XLIII there seems to be a sort of "asterisk" attached - as if those wins were more flukes than actual dominance.

I don't see how XL and XLIII could be flukes or asterisks.

In '05 we beat the BEST team of that entire decade in their own house.... the 2005 Indianapolis Colts. And yes... that team was BETTER than the '07 Patriots. The score was close... but the Steelers beat the Colts down. Steelers could have easily won that game by 2 or more scores if it wasn't for the refs and Bettis fumbling on the goal line.

In '08... the Steelers had the hardest regular season schedule in the league and went on to win the Super Bowl. The Steelers EARNED that trophy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeinzMustard For This Useful Post:
NSMaster56 (08-13-2014), pczach (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #40
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,472 Times in 605 Posts

The way the Steelers are bred to play football, I think beating teams by an insurmountable amount of points doesn't resonate for the Rooney's than it does many of the new-era football teams. We are built on tradition and want to play football the way it was always meant to be played, especially around these parts and that means with attitude, toughness and the ability to bully our opponents on the football field rather than on the scoreboard.

Though we've been in transition over the last couple of seasons, especially offensively, we are still in that mentality to run the football down people's throats and beat them down as the game goes along (this speedy; no huddle offense is a nice way to now go for the damn juggler.)

Time of possession; moving the chains and run the ball well when it's absolutely needed is the Rooney's mantra. How many times have Tomlin said he loves winning the 13-10; close games because it resembles the old mentality of how good teams find a way to win the close ones and that's what separates the Steelers from everybody else. While every other team and their mother wants to be sexy, the Steelers and their brass are JUST FINE trying to hold on to a 3 point lead and crush a team's spirit when they find a way to win the hard way and I think we take great pride in that.

Of course, it would be absolutely fantastic to get a big lead on teams and win by more than 3 touchdowns sometimes, but even at our worst, I think teams fear in getting into a fist fight with us because that's simply what we want to turn the game into. Winning by 20 points sure is awesome, but as long as we win by either 23 points or 3, I think the Rooney's and the coaching staff are fine with it either way if we just play our game and our game only.