Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 08-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #51
SteelerJT
Living Legend

Member Number: 25777
Thanked 5,824 Times in 2,612 Posts
Default Re: Team needs a mentality shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgj View Post
Well, I can only hope and pray that when I grow up and become as wise and as important as you, my "bullshit, whiny complaints" will not piss you off.

Until then, deal with it.
Enjoy praying to your God that doesn't exist.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #52
CNEW
Team Captain

Member Number: 25021
Thanked 1,017 Times in 471 Posts

Quote:
I am sure you have your statistics correct. Until the roster is finalized, those players are still Steelers and I still expect some fire and brimstone. The opposing team is undergoing the same situation. I do not believe it to be out of line to expect an intense level of play during their preseason effort.
See, the problem with your stance is, you think playing well and playing with intensity is mutually exclusive. They're not.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CNEW For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (08-13-2014), SteelerJT (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #53
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Losses to bad teams and not getting blowouts is a symptom of poor line play on both sides of the ball. If they improve there, results will follow.

Aside from the complete breakdown on the long TD run against the Giants, the starters looked good on both counts.

A lot of work to be done, but I don't think they're losing because they are overlooking teams. They've just not been consistent because they had trouble blocking and tackling.

It's all about blocking and tackling.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maddog78 For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (08-13-2014), SteelerJT (08-13-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #54
rgj
Starter

Member Number: 7995
My Mood: Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
See, the problem with your stance is, you think playing well and playing with intensity is mutually exclusive. They're not.
I do not believe that playing well and playing with intensity are exclusive of each other. They certainly can be, but I have no problem with lousy play on the field, as long as the intensity and effort are there. Sometimes the natural breaks of the game will not be overcome (inopportune turnover, horrible officials' call, injury....).We're not going to win every game and sometimes even our best efforts will be to no avail.

My concern is that I saw the same pattern. Absolutely it was only the first preseason game. Just as absolute is the premise that quite a few of the players will not be on the roster when the regular season begins. Likewise, the pattern of the Steelers the past few years has been to play to the competition, whether it be a high caliber opponent, or a lesser one. Give up a few points, scramble back and take the lead, then blow it on a late game defensive lapse.

Granted, they were preseason players. But, the Steelers are notorious for playing the same way when it counts.
rgj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #55
CNEW
Team Captain

Member Number: 25021
Thanked 1,017 Times in 471 Posts

Quote:
I do not believe that playing well and playing with intensity are exclusive of each other. They certainly can be, but I have no problem with lousy play on the field, as long as the intensity and effort are there. Sometimes the natural breaks of the game will not be overcome (inopportune turnover, horrible officials' call, injury....).We're not going to win every game and sometimes even our best efforts will be to no avail.

My concern is that I saw the same pattern. Absolutely it was only the first preseason game. Just as absolute is the premise that quite a few of the players will not be on the roster when the regular season begins. Likewise, the pattern of the Steelers the past few years has been to play to the competition, whether it be a high caliber opponent, or a lesser one. Give up a few points, scramble back and take the lead, then blow it on a late game defensive lapse.

Granted, they were preseason players. But, the Steelers are notorious for playing the same way when it counts.
I understand where you're coming from. I generally dont agree with it, as I tend to not look for immeasurable reasons for a loss. I accept that we didnt play as well as them that day (most likely), and then look for ways on how to improve. Improving attitude, like you suggested, is only going to get you so far. Improving talent is always the FAR better way of improving the team.

I just dont like the excuse that we lose to bad opponents because we play down to them. I view it as trying to explain away poor play. You can play poorly on any given sunday, but still be giving 100% effort.

And how the hell do you determine that a player isnt trying hard enough? I dont doubt that some games there COULD be better effort, but it's always going to take a back seat to quite a few reasons for a loss or a close game.

We've been an 8-8 football team for two years in a row now. It's the definition of average. I dont see it as a trend of not playing hard enough or only playing to the competition, I see it as a trend of not being good enough. We havent been good enough the past two years. I dont see any reason to try and explain that away with excuses that none of us can legitimately determine from the three and a half hours we get to see these guys play a week.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CNEW For This Useful Post:
SteelerJT (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #56
SteelerJT
Living Legend

Member Number: 25777
Thanked 5,824 Times in 2,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
I understand where you're coming from. I generally dont agree with it, as I tend to not look for immeasurable reasons for a loss. I accept that we didnt play as well as them that day (most likely), and then look for ways on how to improve. Improving attitude, like you suggested, is only going to get you so far. Improving talent is always the FAR better way of improving the team.

I just dont like the excuse that we lose to bad opponents because we play down to them. I view it as trying to explain away poor play. You can play poorly on any given sunday, but still be giving 100% effort.

And how the hell do you determine that a player isnt trying hard enough? I dont doubt that some games there COULD be better effort, but it's always going to take a back seat to quite a few reasons for a loss or a close game.

We've been an 8-8 football team for two years in a row now. It's the definition of average. I dont see it as a trend of not playing hard enough or only playing to the competition, I see it as a trend of not being good enough. We havent been good enough the past two years. I dont see any reason to try and explain that away with excuses that none of us can legitimately determine from the three and a half hours we get to see these guys play a week.
It's much easier for fans to accept that it's the new Coach's fault, somehow his mentality is inferior and he's projecting on the team, than to man up and admit that their team just hasn't been very talented the last few years.
CNEW (08-14-2014), Edman (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #57
HeinzMustard
Starter

Member Number: 25428
My Mood: Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerJT View Post
It's much easier for fans to accept that it's the new Coach's fault, somehow his mentality is inferior and he's projecting on the team, than to man up and admit that their team just hasn't been very talented the last few years.
Exactly. The Steelers teams of the past two years remind me of the teams Cowher had from '98-'00.... except the '12-'13 teams had a franchise QB. Roethlisberger is the only thing that kept the Steelers from 6-10 or worse. The talent has been lacking... and hopefully this is the year the youth movement steps up.
HeinzMustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HeinzMustard For This Useful Post:
Edman (08-14-2014), SteelerJT (08-14-2014), steelfury02 (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #58
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,383 Posts
My Mood: Fine

The past two teams actually stack up better overall IMO than those 98-00 teams IMO

there is no denying a fast start, then injuries, then down the toilet then

slow start because of injuries, fast finish

I think this is the year they put those two halves together towards at least a wildcard spot

EDIT - shit, I think I just opened up the "injuries aren't an excuse can"

they aren't, but - look at the difference it made both in production and from a mentality standpoint of the team
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
SteelerJT (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #59
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

What the '14 team has over the '12 and '13 is that on paper, there is no part on the team that says "They have no future upside there" or "changes really need to made there".

Every single position has newfound youth with tons of potential. Except QB and maybe corner, the youth movement has been completed. D-Line for the most part is fine, The Linebackers are good, the Secondary is decent, the Offensive Line is shaping up good, and the WR's are okay.

It's all a matter of waiting to see if the team's talent will come together or not instead of "Damn, we need to really upgrade our talent there next offseason there".

Of course, it's all on paper so far. We'll see once the games get going.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Edman For This Useful Post:
The_Joker (08-14-2014)