Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #21
PeckerWood
Team President

Member Number: 13275
Thanked 2,470 Times in 1,239 Posts
My Mood: Breezy
Default Re: Roethlisberger reacts to ex-Steeler Sanders' claim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
where was peyton's leadership in the super bowl? after the 1st quarter he looked like some kid who got a D on his report card lol
Put a pass rush in his face and he folds like a Chinese footlocker.
PeckerWood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeckerWood For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (08-14-2014), Fire Arians (08-14-2014), harrison'samonster (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 02:51 PM   #22
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 8,109 Times in 3,254 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (08-14-2014), harrison'samonster (08-14-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (08-14-2014), SteelerJT (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #23
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

He should be pissed and Sanders didn't have to say what he said to show he likes Peyton more. I heard one of the guys saying that you don't have to trash your ex to prove you love your current. That's true and Sanders has done a couple of things now that are maybe insights into why we didn't try to keep him. And I know a lot of people said it but not getting a 3rd rounder for him last year is such a bite in the ass. I know we didn't know we were going to be 8-8 but you still have to grab that when given a chance. We will miss Cotch much more than Sanders this year IMO.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to austinfrench76 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-14-2014), pczach (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #24
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,442 Times in 2,738 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Emmanuel "If you don't grind you don't shine, and I didn't shine so obviously I didn't grind enough" Sanders
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #25
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,442 Times in 2,738 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeckerWood View Post
Yep my thoughts exactly. Now which 'leader' would you rather follow into battle? The one that crumbles like a house of cards if pressured, or the one that hangs in there and makes plays down the field?

Manning is probably a better game planner, but Ben is a field general
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #26
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,224 Times in 3,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeckerWood View Post
And then blames his O-line - I recalled he threw his O-line under the bus after losing to the Steelers in the Bettis fumble playoff game - found the story

Manning Loses Blame Game Too

Whether you're a good loser or a bad loser, the problem is you still go down as a loser.

There has never been a more sympathetic figure in defeat than Indianapolis Colt Coach Tony Dungy after his team ran out of chances against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday. But his quarterback, Peyton Manning, lost points by his willingness to point fingers everywhere but at himself....

But he sold out his offensive line in his response to a question about Pittsburgh's pass rush that pressured him all day and sacked him five times.

"I'm trying to be a good teammate here," Manning said, choosing his words carefully. "Let's just say we had some problems in protection. I'll give Pittsburgh credit for the blitzes and their rush. Those guys rushed. But we did have some protection problems."

Leave that to the linemen. They were more than willing to fess up.

"Up front, we didn't do a very good job to begin the game," center Jeff Saturday said.

See? Why couldn't Manning say something similar about his two-for-six start in the first quarter?

Oh, Manning quickly took credit for drawing up what he called a "dirt play" that resulted in a two-point conversion pass to Reggie Wayne that brought the Colts to within three points.

But tell me if this sounds like an acceptable mea culpa for his playoff shortcomings:

"Certainly it has not been for a lack of effort due to my part," Manning said. "I've never stepped onto the field or walked off the field saying I could have done more to prepare for this game. There's certainly throws I'd like to have back or series you'd like to have back, or games I wish I would have played better."

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jan...ts/sp-adande16

What a leader
Gnutella (08-15-2014), harrison'samonster (08-14-2014), pczach (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #27
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,965 Times in 4,647 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Old 08-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #28
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 8,109 Times in 3,254 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
And then blames his O-line - I recalled he threw his O-line under the bus after losing to the Steelers in the Bettis fumble playoff game - found the story

Manning Loses Blame Game Too

Whether you're a good loser or a bad loser, the problem is you still go down as a loser.

There has never been a more sympathetic figure in defeat than Indianapolis Colt Coach Tony Dungy after his team ran out of chances against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday. But his quarterback, Peyton Manning, lost points by his willingness to point fingers everywhere but at himself....

But he sold out his offensive line in his response to a question about Pittsburgh's pass rush that pressured him all day and sacked him five times.

"I'm trying to be a good teammate here," Manning said, choosing his words carefully. "Let's just say we had some problems in protection. I'll give Pittsburgh credit for the blitzes and their rush. Those guys rushed. But we did have some protection problems."

Leave that to the linemen. They were more than willing to fess up.

"Up front, we didn't do a very good job to begin the game," center Jeff Saturday said.

See? Why couldn't Manning say something similar about his two-for-six start in the first quarter?

Oh, Manning quickly took credit for drawing up what he called a "dirt play" that resulted in a two-point conversion pass to Reggie Wayne that brought the Colts to within three points.

But tell me if this sounds like an acceptable mea culpa for his playoff shortcomings:

"Certainly it has not been for a lack of effort due to my part," Manning said. "I've never stepped onto the field or walked off the field saying I could have done more to prepare for this game. There's certainly throws I'd like to have back or series you'd like to have back, or games I wish I would have played better."

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jan...ts/sp-adande16

What a leader
I'm glad you posted this Dan. This is the stuff nobody ever talks about when discussing Manning. I remember this like it was yesterday.

If Ben ever said anything remotely close to what Manning said or threw his teammates under the bus, he'd be crucified for it.

This is the legend of Peyton Manning. He's a technician in regular season play.

He's a playoff choker that wants to make everyone think he's falling on his own sword, when in reality he's always eagerly waiting for teammates to shelter him from criticism and blame, and willing to sell any of them out to spare his reputation.

That is the textbook definition of a loser and a horrible leader.

Ben has been getting his ass kicked behind horrible offensive lines for years. I've never heard him publicly call any of them out or blame them for losses. Say what you want about BB, but he doesn't make excuses or blame other people.

There's a hell of a lot of leadership in how he conducts himself when things go bad. It's the true test of a leader. Anybody could step up and accept the credit when things are great. It's the player that isn't screaming at his teammates continuously and blaming others for losses that truly leads. Leading with effort and toughness under pressure, and grace in losses.

In my opinion, Ben's on field demeanor and his willingness to stand up and take responsibility for losses is the most underappreciated part of his game.

He has always been a guy to encourage fellow players, not to humiliate them or try to bully them. He never pulls a Brady and starts screaming at teammates. He never pulls a Manning and throws teammates under the bus after big losses He stands in front of the camera after big losses and takes blame, even when he clearly wasn't the problem. He just says he didn't do enough to win the game.

He just plays hard and wins.

I'll take that guy every time.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (08-14-2014), Bayz101 (08-14-2014), Gnutella (08-15-2014), harrison'samonster (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #29
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,965 Times in 4,647 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Roethlisberger 'hurt' by comments

Updated: August 14, 2014
By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

LATROBE, Pa. -- Ben Roethlisberger is "disappointed" that he has yet to hear from former teammate Emmanuel Sanders, who called Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning a "far better leader" than the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback a couple of weeks ago and has since stood by his comments.

"I know he told some other guys, 'You know I love Ben. I didn't mean it like that.' I wish he would have reached out to me and just say that, and I would have been fine with it," Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "Whether he meant it or not, it hurt in a sense that I tried so hard to keep him here last year and was always supporting him. When he was down in practice, I always talked to him."

Sanders signed with the Broncos as an unrestricted free agent in March and told a Denver radio station that Manning is a better leader than Roethlisberger because he stays after practice to work with the wide receivers.

Sanders, who played for the Steelers from 2010 to 2013, told NFL Network that he doesn't regret what he said when comparing Manning and Roethlisberger as leaders.

"If I said it, I meant it," Sanders said. "It wasn't meant as disrespect for anyone. I've got so much love for everybody over there in Pittsburgh, and they know it; they know me. I didn't mean any harm."

Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown has criticized Sanders for taking what has largely been perceived as a shot at Roethlisberger. Former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis has said that Sanders' comments were misguided.

Roethlisberger has never been more engaged when it comes to working with the Steelers' wide receivers. The 11th-year veteran said Wednesday that he has helped coach the wide receivers more at this training camp than at any point of his career.

"It's been fun. It's something that I need to do and want to do," Roethlisberger said. "The coach can tell them what they're supposed to do, but if I tell them what I want them to do, it's a big difference. It's been a good [camp] in that sense."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...denver-broncos
Old 08-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #30
rgj
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7995
My Mood: Angelic

I'll stick with Ben.
rgj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rgj For This Useful Post:
Gnutella (08-15-2014), harrison'samonster (08-14-2014)