Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-09-2006, 10:56 PM   #31
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082
Default Re: State Penn, Mwahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
Let me rephrase that

IT'S NOT ALWAYS SMART. Ok that sounds better doesn't it?
I kinda got what you were saying. As an ex-football player, I really don't think playing the week after you blow a team out is a big deal at all. They will be ready for UM.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:56 PM   #32
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
Let me rephrase that

IT'S NOT ALWAYS SMART. Ok that sounds better doesn't it?
That's completely different than stating somebody lacks class for doing so which you stated on the whole first page, but I can understand where your coming from when you make that specific point. There's always the possibility of having a downfall after ringing up the score the week before.

We shall see though.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 09-09-2006 at 11:22 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #33
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
I kinda got what you were saying. As an ex-football player, I really don't think playing the week after you blow a team out is a big deal at all. They will be ready for UM.
I currently play football And am sick of losing by blowouts. In my foootball carrier I have had NO SEASONS that were winning ones or more then 2 wins. I think it will be interesting how weis tries to get it through there heads that this game is over and it's a different week. It will 100% be a different week with Penn State when they go to 2-1 against Youngstown State.

Quote:
That's completely different than stating somebody lacks class for doing so which you stated on the whole first page, but I can understand where your coming from when you make that specific point. There's always the possibility of having a downfall after ringing up the score the week before.

We shall see though.
100% different. And it was definantly proven on the High School level with Altoona who is a cross town rival of my high school(Hollidaysburg). They beat Hollidaysburg 41-0 in their opener and then lost 51-7 against Harrisburg today.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 09-09-2006 at 11:23 PM.
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:05 PM   #34
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082

Man, sometimes I forget how young some of the people in here are. Where is Holidaysburg? I played for Beaver Falls from 96-99 and geneva college from 00-01. My Freshman year we didn't win a game, we lost by 30+ points every game. Pretty much the same my sophomore year. Just keep the faith man. We made the playoffs my Senior year (15.5 sacks for me) for the first time in 10 years. Hang in there dude, the ass whoopings you take now will do nothing but make you stronger. Trust me.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:01 AM   #35
Hines86Ward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2256

Penn State is not going to be the great team they were last year, & they're not gonna be at the top of the Big Ten. They lost too much of their defense, basically their entire secondary. I could see them going 6-6 this season, they're extremely overhyped because of their success from last year.....
Old 09-10-2006, 12:17 AM   #36
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambridge View Post
I thought Penn State would show a better performance.

Weis is a smug smart-ass........an honors graduate from the Belichick school of how to be a Jerk-off Headcoach.

BTW-Every time I see Charlie Weiss I can't help but think that he would look better as a street vendor in New York City pushing a metal cart around and selling Nathans Hotdogs.
Topped off with wearing one of those dopey looking paper hats.
Weis IS a smug ass. The cameras have caught his smug ****y grin that he tries to hide as he boasts to whomever on the other side of the mic so many times now.

I have the tape from the ND vs. USC game last season to prove it. That was just right before SC had third down and forever. And then 4th and 9. And then OOOPPPSS. Nothing like a 60 yard bomb in his face on his backyard to shove that griin back down his smug throat.

PSU shot themselves in the foot. Then shot themselves in the thigh. Then shot themselves in the head. I don't put this on Paterno but at some point someone has got to say that the JoePa regime should duck gracefully to the Hall Of Fame.

The only team today guilty of running up the score is Louisville. But Dough Boy Weis is still a third class Jerk-off to be sure.

GO GREEN.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:26 AM   #37
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Bah. I never thought I'd hear Steelers fans whining, even if it's about Penn State. You don't want a hated opponent to whup your butt? Get better.

JoePa knew what was happening. He still shook hands when it was over. Notre Dame needed 1) to make a statement, especially after last week, and 2) to let their players get a taste of just how good they are. Nothing breeds success like success. It's one thing to blow out Akron, it's quite different to blow out Penn State even in one of their off years.

And, if ND had let up when it was 24-3, would PSU have let up as well? Nope. It would have eventually been 24-17. And you know how hard it is to rebuild momentum, especially in the emotional world of college football. Nothing like letting the underdog think he has a chance at an upset... next thing you know, you got upset.

Weis doesn't have to answer to anyone but his players. If that seems insular and smug to the rest of the world, I'm sure he's really worried about it.

What I think I see is just Notre Dame bashing, actually. It's what I hear when I listen to my wife bash insufferably on Paterno. Weis and Paterno are cut from the same cloth. You can't admire one and diss the other without revealing anything but pure bias.

And no, I'm not in any way a Notre Dame fan. I root for Pitt in college football. Nothing gives me more pleasure than to see Pitt kick the crap out of ND. But that's a family rivalry thing. Otherwise they're just a bunch of college kids aiming for a shot glory on the field, with a couple guys leading them... some more successful than others, which leave them open for base criticism sometimes.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:40 AM   #38
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
You don't want a hated opponent to whup your butt? Get better.

AMEN
Old 09-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #39
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
Man, sometimes I forget how young some of the people in here are. Where is Holidaysburg? I played for Beaver Falls from 96-99 and geneva college from 00-01. My Freshman year we didn't win a game, we lost by 30+ points every game. Pretty much the same my sophomore year. Just keep the faith man. We made the playoffs my Senior year (15.5 sacks for me) for the first time in 10 years. Hang in there dude, the ass whoopings you take now will do nothing but make you stronger. Trust me.
2 Hours East Of Pittsburgh near Altoona.

Quote:
Penn State is not going to be the great team they were last year, & they're not gonna be at the top of the Big Ten. They lost too much of their defense, basically their entire secondary. I could see them going 6-6 this season, they're extremely overhyped because of their success from last year.....
You might want to scratch that statement. 1 game doesn't determine a season. 12 DO. Even though I respect your rights to your opinion. I just don't see 6-6 likely. If Penn State can get through September 2-2.(saying they beat Youngstown State and fall to Ohio State). I could see them anywhere from 8-4 to 10-2

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:48 PM   #40
Mewtwo
Water Boy

Member Number: 3030

Once you're involved with college football or higher, you have every right to run up the score.

I've heard of coaches of dominant teams in youth football being disciplined or even fired because they ran up scores, and were basically told "This is fine in college, but not here". If you can't do it in youth football, and you can't do it in college ball, then where CAN you do it?
Mewtwo is offline   Reply With Quote