Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 08:19 AM   #21
HometownGal
Living Legend
 
HometownGal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Burgh
Posts: 21,479
Gender: Female
Member Number: 2413
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Early Jax scouting report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesburgh66 View Post
Please find a post where I have even commented on this in the past. I will save you some time, I haven't. Therefore, how the hell have I beaten the dead horse?
It was meant to be a generalized statement and I apologize for the inference that I was referring to you alone. But I will ask you this - why did you feel the need to bring Maddox up in the first place? The game against Jax in 2005 has been long over and he's GONE. This thread concerns the upcoming game against the Jags, not last season's debacle.
__________________


The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:46 AM   #22
Rotorhead
Team President
Supporter
 
Rotorhead's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,010
Gender: Male
Member Number: 703
Thanks: 115
Thanked 730 Times in 403 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Re: Early Jax scouting report

Well since Lefty is not very mobile I feel comfortable with shutting down any big passes, and I am pretty sure we can hinder their running game, so that leaves the short passing game. Our running game will be fine, after watching Parker against Miami (who was every bit of a playoff team last season like the Jags) I am confident in our running game. (Dallas had little problem running against the Jags and I would like to think our running game is better than Dallas) Parker is not going to bowl over people like the Bus did or Verron does, however our O-line has grown accustomed to his style of play and he did a very good job of getting 3-4yds on most carries. Our Oline matches up well against the Jags with their hurt DE and expect to see us run that side often (especially screens!). Willie will break one or two and that is what we have him for. That will keep the D honest and that is the reason Batch and/or Ben will have an above average day passing. I see this being a similar contest as we just had against Miami barring any mistakes. If we play mistake free, we win by 10+
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #23
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan City, IN
Posts: 3,253
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Early Jax scouting report

[QUOTE=Haiku_Dirtt;148969]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
I think the Steelers are 0-3 in games at Jax in the month of September.

I like Leftwich and he is a good QB but the Steelers defense has faced much better QB's. QUOTE]

O-3 is Sept.? Great. But everything has changed statistically for us in just two short years.

I 'like' Leftwich too. But two things have to happen on Monday. We have to control time of possession i.e. run the ball and manage the clock in the third quarter in particular. No quick turnovers. Dallas did neither. Last season we did neither.

Leftwich seems to thrive on second and third chances. How many chances did the Steelers last season and Dallas on Sunday give him to get it right. Credit to him that he does actually get it right when given the chance.

Like I said weeks ago when we need a game breaker at the right time I'm banking that Heath will be the guy in the mix. Do we have anyone more versatile? I wish it were Parker.
No kidding everything has changed for us statistically in two years. Just pointing out playing in Jax for us is never easy. God I don't why I get attitude from people. Thats why I left for awhile from this stupid site. Just try to point something out and this is the response I get. I'll just shut up and won't post a damn thing for now on.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:31 AM   #24
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 40,640
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 2,409
Thanked 10,935 Times in 4,528 Posts
Default Re: Early Jax scouting report

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203 View Post

We wont be running between the tackles on these guys...Willie will have to get to the corners....theres NO running room in the middle...NONE

Thoughts??

good call

watch for the dip play. kirwan and t-rock were just discussing how this play where willie pretends hes going up between the tackles or through the line and then bounces it outside will be very effective, because marcellus wiely who is taking over for their lineman who ruptured his achilles, has minimal lateral movement. even going back to his college and buffalo days that was the knock on him. once willie gets him to bite, only a cb and maybe a linebacker are left for him to beat.

i believe this is the play where willie gained about 7 yards and almost scored the td before batch fumbled last week. if one dont know that this is a designed play one might think that willie is just not hitting what seems to be an obvious hole. but make no mistake, alot of times willie bounces it outside it is the "dip" play designed to take advantage of a defensive linemans lack of mobility.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:11 PM   #25
xfive4x
Water Boy
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
Member Number: 3032
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Early Jax scouting report

Coming from a Jags fan, I can tell you that you do want to try to run it up the middle. For some reason there is this belief that the Jags are impossible to run against up the middle. Statistically this is not true. Statistically the Jags are better defending runs to the outside then they are up the middle. Stroud and Big John do tend to clog the middle, but they are generally in pass rush mode. Our interior Dline stunts, a lot, and a consistent rush up the middle, especially with a speedster like Willie Parker, may be able to find some holes. That being said, the Jags will be coming into the game planning on stopping the run, so we may see less focus on the pass rush, and more focus on gap discipline.

Honestly, I don't think we are too worried about the loss of Hayward, as Rob Meier capable of filling his shoes. Meier is not as fast, but he is pretty stout, and is able to generate a pass rush.
xfive4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:42 PM   #26
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 40,640
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 2,409
Thanked 10,935 Times in 4,528 Posts
Default Re: Early Jax scouting report

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfive4x View Post
Coming from a Jags fan, I can tell you that you do want to try to run it up the middle. For some reason there is this belief that the Jags are impossible to run against up the middle. Statistically this is not true. Statistically the Jags are better defending runs to the outside then they are up the middle. Stroud and Big John do tend to clog the middle, but they are generally in pass rush mode. Our interior Dline stunts, a lot, and a consistent rush up the middle, especially with a speedster like Willie Parker, may be able to find some holes. That being said, the Jags will be coming into the game planning on stopping the run, so we may see less focus on the pass rush, and more focus on gap discipline.

Honestly, I don't think we are too worried about the loss of Hayward, as Rob Meier capable of filling his shoes. Meier is not as fast, but he is pretty stout, and is able to generate a pass rush.
nice take from an opposing fan. meier being able to generate a pass rush may be negated by the jags less focus on a pass rush, if what you say is true.


i think the steelers welcome teams stacking 7-9 in the box to stop the run. jerome is gone and the steelers have more weapons than willie and hines. im thinking ward will be double teamed and rashean will have c. wilson. if this is the case heath and willie can have some favorable matchups in the passing game if the jags are geared up to stop the run.

miami did a good job of limiting the steelers run game in the 1st half. but the steelers didnt mind a few 3 and outs and they kept after it. the same type of patience paid off in the superbowl and it should continue to pay off regardless of the opponent.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:51 PM   #27
xfive4x
Water Boy
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
Member Number: 3032
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Early Jax scouting report

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
nice take from an opposing fan. meier being able to generate a pass rush may be negated by the jags less focus on a pass rush, if what you say is true.


i think the steelers welcome teams stacking 7-9 in the box to stop the run. jerome is gone and the steelers have more weapons than willie and hines. im thinking ward will be double teamed and rashean will have c. wilson. if this is the case heath and willie can have some favorable matchups in the passing game if the jags are geared up to stop the run.

miami did a good job of limiting the steelers run game in the 1st half. but the steelers didnt mind a few 3 and outs and they kept after it. the same type of patience paid off in the superbowl and it should continue to pay off regardless of the opponent.

I would actually be surprised if Hines Ward gets double teamed much. Heath Miller could kill us. Traditionally we don't cover TEs well for some reason, and with his speed he may really be a good weapon for Roethlisberger. You probably will see some favorable matchups in the pass game, because I don't believe anyone doubts that Jax will focus on the run. However, lets not forget that the Jags did spend much of last year as #1 against the pass, and that was without Donovan Darius and before we upgraded the RCB. It should be a great game, and no doubt a physical game. The Colts and Bengals will see what physical football is all about, b/c for some reason those teams' fans seem to think they are hardnosed. Ha!
xfive4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:56 PM   #28
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan City, IN
Posts: 3,253
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Early Jax scouting report

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfive4x View Post
I would actually be surprised if Hines Ward gets double teamed much. Heath Miller could kill us. Traditionally we don't cover TEs well for some reason, and with his speed he may really be a good weapon for Roethlisberger. You probably will see some favorable matchups in the pass game, because I don't believe anyone doubts that Jax will focus on the run. However, lets not forget that the Jags did spend much of last year as #1 against the pass, and that was without Donovan Darius and before we upgraded the RCB. It should be a great game, and no doubt a physical game. The Colts and Bengals will see what physical football is all about, b/c for some reason those teams' fans seem to think they are hardnosed. Ha!
You are very correct about Heath Miller. In last years game vs the Jaqs Tommy Maddox threw to Heath alot.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:25 PM   #29
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 40,640
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 2,409
Thanked 10,935 Times in 4,528 Posts
Default Re: Early Jax scouting report

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfive4x View Post
I would actually be surprised if Hines Ward gets double teamed much. Heath Miller could kill us. Traditionally we don't cover TEs well for some reason, and with his speed he may really be a good weapon for Roethlisberger. You probably will see some favorable matchups in the pass game, because I don't believe anyone doubts that Jax will focus on the run. However, lets not forget that the Jags did spend much of last year as #1 against the pass, and that was without Donovan Darius and before we upgraded the RCB. It should be a great game, and no doubt a physical game. The Colts and Bengals will see what physical football is all about, b/c for some reason those teams' fans seem to think they are hardnosed. Ha!
so if hines isnt doubled that could mean rashean on hines which could make for a long day for him. doubling cedric could shut him down which places even more emphasis on heath.

i would hope the steelers open up with 3wr, heath, and willie out of the backfield. i wouldnt mind if we only had 7-10 runs in the 1st quarter. spread em out and get em tired, then try to pound the ball.

the x-factor for jax has gotta be matt jones. i wanted the steelers to draft him but am happy with heath. needless to say matt would be tearing it up with pittsburgh and heath would be just as much of a beast with the jaguars. enjoy your stay at steelersfever!
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:48 PM   #30
BlacknGold Bleeder
Team Captain
Supporter
 
BlacknGold Bleeder's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Center of the STEELER NATION !!
Posts: 839
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1254
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Early Jax scouting report

0-3 versus Jags in September?? Bill on MNF- sounds like a string is goin to be broken... and it ain't gonna be ours!!
__________________
BlacknGold Bleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts