Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 09-11-2006, 08:46 PM   #11
LarryNJ
Starter

Member Number: 2857
Default Re: Branch to Seattle for First Round Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 to be 4 View Post
Belichick and Pioli do it again. They get a #1 for a guy who, while admittedly came up huge in the biggest games, was and is a #2. They get 4 good years out of him and when he wants more than his value, they get a #1.

almost as good as the Bledsoe trade. It may hurt a bit in 2006, although i suspect they'll sign another veteran WR at some point, but in the long run its a great day for the Patriots.

I think this is a lot closer to the truth than Kraft pinching pennys.
LarryNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:49 PM   #12
Ohio Steeler
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2142

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
I think this is a lot closer to the truth than Kraft pinching pennys.
Kraft pinching pennys, he does not do that oh wait I forgot he is as cheep as a (ok stoping myself there)
Old 09-11-2006, 10:11 PM   #13
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer View Post
Lots of talk out here today about the trade of course. I think most people were hoping that we could have gotten him for a 2nd round pick. But a lot of people counter with a bird in the hand argument... its better to give up a (hopefully late) first round pick for someone you know is good rather gamble on a draftee. WR was not one of our positions that had depth problems. But we had cap room and they chose to take a good available athlete.

From what I understand, Branch is a reciever that is a lot like our current top receiver Darrel Jackson with maybe more of a deep threat aspect to him. Sounds like he is pretty small but does a lot after he gets the ball. The one thing our WRs have had difficulty with has been getting seperation when teams jam them. There have been games when Hasslebeck has had few targets besides our TE Stevens. Word is that Branch does a really good job of freeing himself up. And he is only 27, so he hopefully has many productive years left in him.

We are going to have a lot of options now at WR now. I don't think anyone thinks this addition was going to make or break our offense. We anticipate its going to take a while to feel the benefit of his signing as it seems to take a while to learn our offense (See Nate Burleson). But I think most people think that it makes one of our better positions even stonger and is good insurance for an oft injured position.
He is great at getting open in single coverage, has very nice hands and runs his routes almost flawlessly.

As im sure you are aware he doesnt do very well against double coverage - but then not many receivers do.

Also with the Seahawks depth at WR - I dont suppose many teams will be able to risk double covering him anyway.

Having said all that, i'll be rooting aginst the Seahawks this year - sorry HawkBeliever but the worse you do - the better the Patriots extra draft pick - unfortunately im prety convinced that pick is going to be late 20's

Ill also admit to be completely unsurprised by the Patriots getting a 1st rounder for him - great business by the Patriots for a guy who wasn't going to play before the 10th game of the season anyway - and to think Culpepper only gained a 2nd.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:16 PM   #14
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Culpeper got a 2nd only because of the doubt about his knee injury....
Old 09-11-2006, 11:04 PM   #15
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044
Default Re: Seahawks deal for Branch

Already posted.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=10473
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:28 PM   #16
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156

Good business sense for the Pats. But, the pick is for next year....and a year (typically) for a rookie to develop.......now that's up to two years.

What about this year?

With Brady leading the Offensive Corps, they WILL NOT have a losing season. But I fear it will not be the typical awe-inspiring team they have been in the past. No, I am not, or ever will be a Pats fan...........but I will give credit where credit is due.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon.
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:36 PM   #17
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
Sounds like they are mortgaging thier future for the present, never a good idea, just ask a 49er. I will be curios to see what they sign him for.
I think we are all thinking the same thing out here. But since we don't have never had a championship, most people don't care. People keep talking about our "window." We have 3 special players in Hasselbeck, Alexander, and Jones and a very solid supporting cast. SO people are content to do things to win before our stars are past their prime, which will be very soon if that hasn't already happened.

Very short sighted, yes. But a lot of people out here just want a taste of the honey.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:56 PM   #18
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer View Post
I think we are all thinking the same thing out here. But since we don't have never had a championship, most people don't care. People keep talking about our "window." We have 3 special players in Hasselbeck, Alexander, and Jones and a very solid supporting cast. SO people are content to do things to win before our stars are past their prime, which will be very soon if that hasn't already happened.

Very short sighted, yes. But a lot of people out here just want a taste of the honey.
I can understand that. Nice explanation Hawk.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon.
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:50 AM   #19
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203 View Post
Culpeper got a 2nd only because of the doubt about his knee injury....
Yep I realise that.

NM
Old 09-12-2006, 12:54 AM   #20
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelShooter View Post
Good business sense for the Pats. But, the pick is for next year....and a year (typically) for a rookie to develop.......now that's up to two years.

What about this year?

With Brady leading the Offensive Corps, they WILL NOT have a losing season. But I fear it will not be the typical awe-inspiring team they have been in the past. No, I am not, or ever will be a Pats fan...........but I will give credit where credit is due.
It depends on the position they draft with that pick I suppose - if it was to be a WR then it could be as long as 3 years before the rook began to produce - thats if he wasn't a total bust.

However, if it was a stud LBer it could be a year or less before the scheme was picked up - I feel that the Patriots desperately need to draft a Shawn Merriman type player - the corps continues to age with not many young guys on the horizon.

There is always something exciting about picking up a high draft pick, but they are always liable to blow up in your face and I think that Seattle still got a nice deal

NM