Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #21
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,581 Posts
Default Re: Branch to Seattle for First Round Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer View Post
I think we are all thinking the same thing out here. But since we don't have never had a championship, most people don't care. People keep talking about our "window." We have 3 special players in Hasselbeck, Alexander, and Jones and a very solid supporting cast. SO people are content to do things to win before our stars are past their prime, which will be very soon if that hasn't already happened.

Very short sighted, yes. But a lot of people out here just want a taste of the honey.
not to rain on your parade but seattle got suckered. i know they overrate and over pay wr's with the best of them, but they couldve had d. stallworth or e. moulds for a 4th or a 5th respectively. better players for less money. the seattle mgmt dropped the ball on this one and id be pissed. i mean you wouldnt trade lofa tatupu for branch would you?
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:07 PM   #22
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
not to rain on your parade but seattle got suckered. i know they overrate and over pay wr's with the best of them, but they couldve had d. stallworth or e. moulds for a 4th or a 5th respectively. better players for less money. the seattle mgmt dropped the ball on this one and id be pissed. i mean you wouldnt trade lofa tatupu for branch would you?
Lofa was actually a 2nd round pick like Branch was. And hell no regarding a trade, Lofa is our leader on D in his 2nd year. I think part of their reasoning was that drafts are a bit of a crapshoot and they know what they are getting with this guy. But I hope this doesn't limit our ability to shore up the O-Line if needed next season.

Listening to the radio today, most people are excited. But that feeling may be very different when draft time comes around next year. I haven't followed Branch's career too closely so its hard for me to make up mind about him. I was just hearing one guy saying that he should be able to perform for the Seahawks because we run a balanced offense. We'll see I guess.

I could also see us trading some of our WR talent at some point to move up some positions in the draft.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:19 PM   #23
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Lofa was actually a 2nd round pick like Branch was. And hell no regarding a trade, Lofa is our leader on D in his 2nd year. I think part of their reasoning was that drafts are a bit of a crapshoot and they know what they are getting with this guy. But I hope this doesn't limit our ability to shore up the O-Line if needed next season.

Listening to the radio today, most people are excited. But that feeling may be very different when draft time comes around next year. I haven't followed Branch's career too closely so its hard for me to make up mind about him. I was just hearing one guy saying that he should be able to perform for the Seahawks because we run a balanced offense. We'll see I guess.

I could also see us trading some of our WR talent at some point to move up some positions in the draft.
speaking of crapchute, did they send any vaseline over with branch?

oh well, like you said, if it dont work out you can always trade branch, jackson, or burleson, next year for a 3rd or 4th.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:28 PM   #24
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
There is always something exciting about picking up a high draft pick, but they are always liable to blow up in your face and I think that Seattle still got a nice deal

NM
Nice deal? Jackson, Burleson and Engram are as good or better than Branch. This trade helps one team and it's not the one on the Pacific.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:57 PM   #25
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

So here is what I understand to be true about Branch

PROs:
- Does well in big games (Was SB MVP)
- Good at getting open with 1:1 coverage when people are jamming him
- good after the catch
- reliable performance
- good speed
- should have a lot of good years in him

CONs:
- He's only 5'9" and not Steve Smith
- Can be shut down with double coverage
- Probably demanding more $ than he is worth

I get the impression from you guys there are more cons. What are they?

LITP, do you view the breakdown between Branch and the Pats as more Branch's or managment's fault? Is he going to be an OK "locker room" guy?
Old 09-12-2006, 06:11 PM   #26
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Quote:

PROs:
- good after the catch
- reliable performance
- good speed

CONs:

LITP, do you view the breakdown between Branch and the Pats as more Branch's or managment's fault? Is he going to be an OK "locker room" guy?

Giving up a #1 pick. You think about it, you could have traded that pick next year on draft day to move up and take Jeff Samardzija or Dwayne Jarrett. Then with you next pick (prob 3rd round) Take the best OG on the board, Josh beekman or Ben Grubbs.

Last edited by augustashark; 09-12-2006 at 06:15 PM.
augustashark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:04 PM   #27
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:

PROs:
- good after the catch
- reliable performance
- good speed

CONs:

Hey HB,

I would place the overwhelming resposibility for the breakdown between the Patriots and Branch squarely on the shoulders of Branch.

The Patriots made a reasonable opening offer for his services and he and his agent made no attempt to make a counter offer - this demonstrated to me that Chayut had no intention of having Deion playing in New England next year.

It appears that Branch realises that New England is never going to be a place that a receiver can make his name and enter the elite list - and therefore never get paid the elite money that Moss and Owens receive.

Of course, the Patriots run a very tight ship and they have a value on everyones head in the organisation - and its a value they wont be budged from unless your name happens to be Brady or Seymour.

I guess you could say that this 'stubborness' played its part in the saga - I view it as solid man management - which should hopefully pay dividends down the line.

I would certainly agree with the list of pro's and con's you listed.

Not many WR's in the league are capable of breaking free of double teams consistently, and those WR's are worth more than a single 1st rounder.

I would also add that he has been a very solid, uncomplaining locker room presence during his career in New England - which is why this latest development comes as a surprise.

I think that Deion will continue to be a hard working solid locker room guy and he may well show us all the statistical power he obviously think he has in Seattles offense.

As you said, you wouldn't swap him for Tatupu, but then again you know you definitely arent getting a Ryan leaf calibre player

Which is more than can be said of the guy who the Patriots select with the traded 1st rounder.

NM

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 09-12-2006 at 07:14 PM.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:18 PM   #28
tony hipchest
Supporter

since 2001 you can really only say there are 2 wr who do good in big games:

h. ward and d. branch. not every wr plays in the big games. t. brown and j. rice didnt fare well in 2002 but that doesnt make them inferior wr's, just on inferior teams.

the problem isnt the player seattle got. its what they will pay to get him. a 1st rounder and 39 mil for 6 years.

d. stallworth was acquired for a 4th rounder. hes bigger, just as fast, young, tall etc. as branch. both have 4 years in the league. philly rated him as the #7 player coming out of college and im sure seattle and the patriots both had him rated higher than branch (hence his draft position). his career numbers are better:

57 games
34 games started
201 catches (about 15 fewer than branch)
2932 yards (about 600 more than branch)
14.6 yards / catch (better than branch)
24 td's (10 more than branch)

he did this all as a distinct #2 with aaron brooks throwing to him and not tom brady. if you look at his numbers with mcnabb throwing to him: 6 catches 141 yds/ 1 td.
4 catches of 20+ yds with a 24 ypc average. he had a ball batted down at the goal line and was wide open in the end zone on r. browns td catch. he was targeted on 2 td passes and very well couldve had 3.

e. moulds only cost a 5th rounder. he has had a stellar career with crap throwing him the ball. he could be in the same category of a m. harrison with someone like brady or hasselbeck or warner throwing him the ball.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:27 PM   #29
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Quote:

PROs:
- good after the catch
- reliable performance
- good speed

CONs:

Locker room? That should be on the PRO side of the ledger. Everybody likes this kid. I didn't hear one negative word about him personally during the hold out.

Another very strong PRO that wasn't mentioned is his ability to read a defense and change plans to get himself open. That's what Brady loved about him. They were on the same page. He'll bring that to his relationship with Hasselback(sp?).
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:13 AM   #30
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Brady shaken by Branch saga
Patriots QB says he spent lots of energy on situation

Posted: Wednesday September 13, 2006 6:04PM; Updated: Wednesday September 13, 2006 6:21PM

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) -- Tom Brady's opening-day problems may have been caused as much by the receiver who wasn't there than by the opposing defense that was.

Three days after his mediocre performance in a 19-17 squeaker over the Buffalo Bills, the Patriots quarterback admitted his worries about whether Deion Branch would return distracted him from preparing for the game.

"Last week I spent a lot of energy thinking about it and, at the end of the week, it really wasted a lot of my time and a lot of my energy," Brady said Wednesday. "It was a big mental drain and I think it affected the way I played."

Branch was traded to Seattle for a first-round draft pick on Monday, ending Brady's fading hopes that his good friend and New England's best receiver would return.

On the first play from scrimmage Sunday, Brady fumbled when hit by Takeo Spikes and Buffalo scored a touchdown. At halftime, the Bills led 17-7 and the two-time Super Bowl MVP had completed just 3 of 11 passes for 30 yards and a touchdown and was sacked three times.

He improved after that, finishing 11-for-23 for 163 yards, two touchdowns and an interception, but the Patriots' 183-yard rushing attack and a solid defense contributed more to the victory.

Branch missed the game as part of the holdout he began at the mandatory minicamp in June, depriving Brady of the receiver with whom he had developed a strong bond, on and off the field.

"I'm a very emotional person and over the last four or five months it's been draining," Brady said. "It's tough because you develop relationships with players. Coaches don't have (those) relationships with players and the management doesn't know what guys are like.

"In that sense, it's probably tougher for players to see players go because we hang out. We're buddies. It goes far beyond the football field."

Brady is "excited" to face the New York Jets on Sunday without the burden of wondering whether Branch would be back. As much as Brady wanted him to stay, Branch left his former quarterback one last legacy.

"I learned a valuable lesson last week that when something is really out of your control you can't let it drain you," Brady said. "At least I feel like now I can move on. I know he's moved on and I wish him luck."

He said he always felt very optimistic but "obviously it didn't look good as camp went on."

Less than 10 days before the first game, the Patriots added wide receivers Doug Gabriel in a trade with Oakland and Jonathan Smith after he was waived by Buffalo. Neither played last Sunday but Gabriel could emerge as a starter.

"Deion's moved on. I think it's time for us to move on," linebacker Rosevelt Colvin said. "It's unfortunate. You lose a friend. You lose a good player, but it creates an opportunity for somebody else to step in and fill that void."

Brady watched other major contributors to the team leave in the offseason through free agency -- kicker Adam Vinatieri, linebacker Willie McGinest and wide receiver David Givens.

Branch "meant a lot to me as a person and as a player. He meant a lot to this organization," Brady said. "I don't think I've become desensitized to it. I think it's tough every time.

"If it were up to me, none of these guys would have left."

Branch joined the Patriots as a second-round draft pick in 2002, two years after Brady was chosen in the sixth round.

Branch had 10 catches for 143 yards and a touchdown in a 32-29 win over Carolina in the 2004 Super Bowl. Then he caught 11 passes for 133 yards and won the MVP award in a 24-21 win over Philadelphia in the 2005 Super Bowl.

Brady threw all those passes and he and Branch had an excellent sense of what the other was thinking on each play.

Now he must work toward that goal with another receiver.

"That takes a lot of time," Brady said. "It's not as easy as a guy showing up and learning plays and going out there and saying, 'All right, well this is how we're going to do it.' No. You have to go out and you have to read his body language and see how he runs certain routes and understand the timing that he has coming in and out of breaks."

Will that go-to guy be Gabriel, Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell, rookie Chad Jackson or maybe even tight end Benjamin Watson?

Now that it's sunk in that Branch isn't on that list, Brady is prepared to focus on working with all of them.

"I'm going to do my best to help this team win and I support our team and our organization just as I support players and their decisions," he said. "I wish it could have worked out, but this time it didn't."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html