Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-12-2006, 06:04 PM   #1
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Any car folks? I just took on a HUGE project...

Man, the stack of instructions is about an inch thick.

My fun car is a '97 Miata that I have modified a bit for track use, but that is still very streetable. Right now it has a lot of suspension work done, but not much engine work; just an Eaton M45 supercharger and some piggyback fuel and timing boxes for ignition.

So, my new stuff arrived today. An Eaton MP62 supercharger, 440cc injectors, a/a intercooler from Track Dog Racing, Greddy EManage Ultimate, a Mustang throttle body, and new engine mounts and a powerplant frame brace.

I should be around 250 at the wheels when it's all done, not bad for a car that weighs around 2300 lbs. But this is going to take a while!

Here's a pic taken at turn one of Pocono's north road course, at about 100 mph:

Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:14 PM   #2
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225
Default Re: Any car folks? I just took on a HUGE project...

You need to convert that into a Mega Monster Miata. hehe... I remember reading an article in a car magazine many years ago about someone who squeezed a blown Mustang V8 into a Miata. They had to stiffen and reinforce the frame and body otherwise it would twist itself into a pretzel if you stomped on the gas. LOL

http://www.highwayone.com/Classifieds/Mazda/01aaai.html
Old 09-12-2006, 08:02 PM   #3
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

Sounds like you'll have fun. Weight reduction will help a lot and as long as you keep the engine from over-heatin, which Miatas are prone to since they have such a small engine bay. Keep us updated. I got plenty more to say but I got to study. Peace.

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:25 PM   #4
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

I actually have a friend just finishing up a Monster conversion! Here's where he's at right now...

Some people have problems at extreme horsepower levels (300+), some don't. Some folks have wired their cooling fans to work together and 100% duty cycle. I've had problems with the smaller blower I'm using now, it spins pretty hot. The bigger blower will produce more power at lower (blower) rpms = less intake heat, plus the intercooler will help (and it comes with lots of shrouding)! Not sure how much lighter I want to go; it's more about the interesting project rather than how fast it goes. The corners are always more interesting than the straightaways.

It's a real kick for me to get back into this stuff after all this time. When I was young, in my late teens and early 20s, I was into it; I had a couple 421ci Bonnevilles and a '65 GTO. Then I lost interest for about 30 years. Now it's fun again!

Tom

Last edited by Mosca; 09-12-2006 at 08:28 PM.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:53 PM   #5
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

I'd trade my left nut for a '65 GTO.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:53 AM   #6
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
I'd trade my left nut for a '65 GTO.
I used to own one. I took money for mine though, since I already have a left nut. I only owned it for 2 months, but it was a sweet car.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,566 Times in 3,985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsMe View Post
I used to own one. I took money for mine though, since I already have a left nut. I only owned it for 2 months, but it was a sweet car.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:48 AM   #8
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

LOL! I love old GTO's. The '67 GTO is my absolute favorite car from that era. It's just gorgeous.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:49 AM   #9
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
I actually have a friend just finishing up a Monster conversion! Here's where he's at right now...

Some people have problems at extreme horsepower levels (300+), some don't. Some folks have wired their cooling fans to work together and 100% duty cycle. I've had problems with the smaller blower I'm using now, it spins pretty hot. The bigger blower will produce more power at lower (blower) rpms = less intake heat, plus the intercooler will help (and it comes with lots of shrouding)! Not sure how much lighter I want to go; it's more about the interesting project rather than how fast it goes. The corners are always more interesting than the straightaways.

It's a real kick for me to get back into this stuff after all this time. When I was young, in my late teens and early 20s, I was into it; I had a couple 421ci Bonnevilles and a '65 GTO. Then I lost interest for about 30 years. Now it's fun again!

Tom

I understand what you sayin how the drivin experience is more than just goin fast in a straight line. I totally agree. Although the feelin of G's when the throttle is mashed wide open makes me smile to all ends. With a car as light as the Miata it isn't overly necessary to solely focus on weight reduction...unless you want to work towards the curb weight of a Lotus Elise (approx. 1300 lbs.). At that point I think you might want to just make sure everythin is reinforced so that the car doesn't rip itself in half under power. Another thing is aerodynamics. I'm not suggestin bodykits or wings like ricers (ugh) however I'm sure it can affect performance in such a small and light car. With such lil weight being thrown around I'm sure it can be easy for the car to lift under certain maneuvers. Even if only slightly if it reduces the grip to the tarmac and the power gettin to the ground to goin to hurt. Although at this point there are numerous ways to go wit the project all to gain that lil bit of extra performance. Lighter wheels with performance tires for better grip and less mass to perpetuate into motion, cross drilled brake rotors and multiple piston calipers, I could keep goin obviously and I apologize for babblin. Sounds like you are off to a great start.

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:06 AM   #10
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
Man, the stack of instructions is about an inch thick.

My fun car is a '97 Miata that I have modified a bit for track use, but that is still very streetable. Right now it has a lot of suspension work done, but not much engine work; just an Eaton M45 supercharger and some piggyback fuel and timing boxes for ignition.

So, my new stuff arrived today. An Eaton MP62 supercharger, 440cc injectors, a/a intercooler from Track Dog Racing, Greddy EManage Ultimate, a Mustang throttle body, and new engine mounts and a powerplant frame brace.

I should be around 250 at the wheels when it's all done, not bad for a car that weighs around 2300 lbs. But this is going to take a while!

Here's a pic taken at turn one of Pocono's north road course, at about 100 mph:

Miata's are great cars! Looks like you have a healthy track car there...i currently own an 87 MR2 (if you know anything about these cars, you know they're GREAT for autox). However, it's my daily driver and can't afford to use it on the track. I'm currently in the process of doing a semi-restoration in terms of suspension and body work. After that will be the engine bay...thinking of going for the supercharged swap, or a 20v engine.
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote