Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-13-2006, 11:03 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Staley takes high road on inactivity

Steelers RB Staley takes high road on inactivity
Thursday, September 14, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Duce Staley does not understand why the Steelers keep signing running backs to try to do a job he feels fully capable of handling.

One week ago, it was undrafted rookie Patrick Cobbs, acquired in a trade with New England. Now, it's veteran Najeh Davenport, signed off the scrap heap Friday after Green Bay released him.

"It's part of the business," Staley said yesterday after practice. "I can't really sit here and say I've never seen it before because I have. It's part of the business, and that's something that's going to be done whether I like it or not."

All he wants, he said, is the chance to show he can still cut it at age 31. It's something, he said, he cannot do in practice. He says he still has the zip in his legs required for a successful running back in the NFL.

"Oh, yeah, I know I do; I know I do. It's all about opportunity, to get in there and prove that. You and I can sit here and talk about it back and forth forever, but, until you get a chance to get out there on the field in real live action with the first team, you won't know.

"In practice, you work on angles, you work on plays that you're trying to put in for that week, but, as far as going against the first team all-out, we're not going to do that. We're not going to have the type of practice we're going to have in camp. Only games can simulate that, therefore you won't be able to prove that in practice."

Staley agreed in March to take a $1 million cut in salary to $1.5 million this season. Once he was on the roster for the first game, he was on their books to make his entire salary in 2006 no matter what. Yet the Steelers, by their very actions and sometimes words, show they do not think he is the man to fill the role vacated when Jerome Bettis retired: Backup to starter Willie Parker with some running on the goal line thrown in.

They signed Davenport, who stands 6 feet 1 and weighs 247 pounds, to do that job.

"He's a proven big back," coach Bill Cowher said Tuesday. "We were kind of looking for that. ... Looking at our football team, the ability to get Najeh and what he's done, I've watched him play and I think he fits what we're looking for."

Staley rushed for 707 yards in his first seven games with the Steelers in 2004. He missed most of last season after knee surgery, but helped them win their game against Green Bay with 76 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries after Parker was hurt in the first quarter.

The coaches counted on him handling the Bettis role this season, but were disappointed with his training camp practices. Cowher gave Staley by far more runs than anyone in preseason games, 42 compared to John Kuhn's No. 2 rank at 18. Staley gained 92 yards (2.2 average) with a long run of 6 yards.

He made it into one play Thursday against Miami as a blocker in the backfield on a pass. Cowher said Davenport could dress Monday night, which would leave Staley inactive in all likelihood.

"I'm not here to sit and talk bad about it or say anything bad about it," Staley said, promising he will cause no problems. "What I am here to do is help my teammates win. Having a negative attitude won't get the job done. So I'm going to stay positive, and things will work themselves out."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06257/721683-66.stm
Old 09-13-2006, 11:13 PM   #2
section514
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1401
Default Re: Staley takes high road on inactivity

personally i dont like duce, well let me rephrase that, i dont have any reason to like duce, he has shown me nothing, so personally i think he is a waste of money, i think we should have released him or at least traded him away, davenport is ok for me, but i like haynes....the duce is done in my eyes, go back to philly and retire there, you have done little for pittsburgh
section514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:37 AM   #3
Texasfan
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 2904

Quote:
Originally Posted by section514 View Post
personally i dont like duce, well let me rephrase that, i dont have any reason to like duce, he has shown me nothing, so personally i think he is a waste of money, i think we should have released him or at least traded him away, davenport is ok for me, but i like haynes....the duce is done in my eyes, go back to philly and retire there, you have done little for pittsburgh
I'm sorry, did you say something? I was too busy looking at the terrible towel.
Texasfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:43 AM   #4
jaysta
Starter

Member Number: 1495

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Steelers RB Staley takes high road on inactivity

Duce Staley does not understand why the Steelers keep signing running backs to try to do a job he feels fully capable of handling.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06257/721683-66.stm
LOL. I guess he didn't see any tape of himself during the preseason games.
jaysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:33 AM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I think he's a little like the Bus...he doesn't get many yardage in the first two quarters but by the 4th quarter he's running (or was running) over people. But I agree with Section 514 in that he hasn't shown me much and there's no reason to give him 25 touches in a game. Especially when one of our released players seemed to perform better in the pre-season.

As much as I appreciate Duce taking the high road and it shows his true character, there comes a time when a team has to cut their loses and move forward.

BRING BACK KUHN

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,103 Times in 2,386 Posts

Maybe Staley should go out and do some jogging along that high road.

Duce has reported to camp out of shape the past two years.

Cowher has a well deserved rep as a player's coach; if he keeps bringing in alternatives for a job that is Duce's for the asking that is a strong statement on Cowher's views of Staley's diminished skills and poor work ethic,
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:18 AM   #7
Steel12
Banned

Member Number: 2397

We've all seen what Duce can bring when he's given the chance...I don't see how he's gettin bashed because he's being a good team player.
Steel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:34 AM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel12 View Post
We've all seen what Duce can bring when he's given the chance...I don't see how he's gettin bashed because he's being a good team player.
I'm not here to bash Duce, but I saw what he brought in the pre-season when given the chance. A 2.2 average on 42 carries - not good. He cannot expect to come into camp overweight, underachieve and be handed a position. He has to earn it and thus far, I haven't seen any indication of that. I've always liked Duce and maybe - just maybe - if given another opportunity he will step up his play, but I think Najeh Davenport's signing is the writing on the wall.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:43 AM   #9
Blitzburgh
Banned

Member Number: 2863

I am here to bash Duce, and deservingly so. The man is commiting highway robbery by playing the "oh golly gosh, I just want to help my team" card. He's getting $1.5 mil. this year for coming into camp out of shape and now, once again, he's religated to the role of sideline cheerleader modeling new NFL sweat shirt apparell.

Sorry to you Duce apologists, but he's a worthless POS IMO ....
Blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:46 AM   #10
Steel12
Banned

Member Number: 2397

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I'm not here to bash Duce, but I saw what he brought in the pre-season when given the chance. A 2.2 average on 42 carries - not good. He cannot expect to come into camp overweight, underachieve and be handed a position. He has to earn it and thus far, I haven't seen any indication of that. I've always liked Duce and maybe - just maybe - if given another opportunity he will step up his play, but I think Najeh Davenport's signing is the writing on the wall.
Didn't most of his carries come when he was playin with the 2nd string though? How can you avg. 4 yards a carry if the linemen and linebackers are in the backfield as soon as you take 1 step. Of course, that didn't happen on all of his carries but it did happen often. I'm definately not sayin that he should start, but why not give him a chance bein the goalline back. He's sat on the sidelines, taken a paycut...all for the team. We shouldn't forget that he was the starter and was a beast for us 2 years ago.
Steel12 is offline   Reply With Quote