Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-14-2006, 10:47 AM   #11
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Staley takes high road on inactivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel12 View Post
We've all seen what Duce can bring when he's given the chance...I don't see how he's gettin bashed because he's being a good team player.
My point of view.....

It's not so much his lack of productivity that has turned me off these last two weeks. It's the fact that he came into camp completely out of shape. To me, that shows a complete lack of discipline from a supposed "veteran". Ask anybody here, I was more than willing to give Duce the benefit of the doubt (give him time, it's only preseason, give him time) until I heard about him coming to training camp completely out of shape. There is NO excuse for those actions. Duce was a "good team player" last year when he stepped to the side for Bettis. Right now he's getting paid $1.5 million to sit on the sidelines because he came to camp looking like Jabba the Hut and it showed on the field.

Now we went out and found somebody who is willing to take this game seriously. Staley has no choice but to keep his mouth shut. He's in no position to not be a "team player". We can sit here and talk about what he did two years ago until we are blue in the face. Let's talk about what he has done since the start of training camp. That's all that matters.

Obviously the fans are not the only ones who are tired and fed up with Staley. The FO was scrambling for HB's (first Cobbs, now Davenport). What does that tell you? It tell's me one thing, that they (the people who know better than us) are not very happy with Duce Staley.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 09-14-2006 at 10:54 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:50 AM   #12
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

He definitely had the opportunity to come in and fill Jerome's shoes. Like you said 83, his work ethic and laziness is all to blame. I think the FO surely knows what's going on.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:52 AM   #13
Steel12
Banned

Member Number: 2397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh View Post
I am here to bash Duce, and deservingly so. The man is commiting highway robbery by playing the "oh golly gosh, I just want to help my team" card. He's getting $1.5 mil. this year for coming into camp out of shape and now, once again, he's religated to the role of sideline cheerleader modeling new NFL sweat shirt apparell.

Sorry to you Duce apologists, but he's a worthless POS IMO ....
A lot of back-ups are making good money and haven't proven themselves in the league. I bet Duce wasn't a POS 2 years ago...I don't see how he can be one now.
Steel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:53 AM   #14
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I'm not here to bash Duce, but I saw what he brought in the pre-season when given the chance. A 2.2 average on 42 carries - not good. He cannot expect to come into camp overweight, underachieve and be handed a position. He has to earn it and thus far, I haven't seen any indication of that. I've always liked Duce and maybe - just maybe - if given another opportunity he will step up his play, but I think Najeh Davenport's signing is the writing on the wall.
At $1.5 mil..I can PROMISE you that I would be willing to show up for work unprepared, be told that I can stay home next week with pay..........and be a good sport!!!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:54 AM   #15
Steel12
Banned

Member Number: 2397

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
My point of view.....

It's not so much his lack of productivity that has turned me off these last two weeks. It's the fact that he came into camp completely out of shape. To me, that shows a complete lack of discipline from a supposed "veteran". Ask anybody here, I was more than willing to give Duce the benefit of the doubt (give him time, it's only preseason, give him time) until I heard about him coming to training camp completely out of shape. There is NO excuse for those actions. Duce was a "good team player" last year when he stepped to the side for Bettis. Right now he's getting paid $1.5 million to sit on the sidelines because he came to camp looking like Jabba the Hut and it showed on the field. Now we went out and found somebody who is willing to take this game seriously. Staley has no choice but to keep his mouth shut. He's in no position to not be a "team player".

Obviously the fans are not the only ones who are tired and fed up with Staley. The FO was scrambling for HB's (first Cobbs, now Davenport). What does that tell you? It tell's me one thing, that they (the people who know better than us) are not very happy with Duce Staley.
I hear you and I'm not sayin that the FO doesn't know better than I do. I'm just sayin that Duce, when given the chance, has proved to be a good RB.
Steel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:01 AM   #16
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304

Quote:
I hear you and I'm not sayin that the FO doesn't know better than I do. I'm just sayin that Duce, when given the chance, has proved to be a good RB.
When? When he was with Philly?
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:03 AM   #17
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Right, but that was two years ago. No doubt he looked good when he first arrived in Pittsburgh. What was it? Over 700 yards in 7 games or something like that. That's great, but what he did two years ago has nothing to do with coming to camp this year out of shape and it showing on the field.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:04 AM   #18
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
A lot of back-ups are making good money and haven't proven themselves in the league. I bet Duce wasn't a POS 2 years ago...I don't see how he can be one now.
Duce wasn't an out of shape underachiever 2 years ago, Steel12. He showed a lot of promise in the first 7 games that he wore the black and gold. As 83 said - the job was his for the taking if he had put forth even a little effort in getting into shape and busting his ass in camp. Cowher has repeatedly said that he wasn't pleased with his camp effort - I think that says it all.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:08 AM   #19
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Right, but that was two years ago. No doubt he looked good when he first arrived in Pittsburgh. What was it? Over 700 yards in 7 games or something like that. That's great, but what he did two years ago has nothing to do with coming to camp this year out of shape and it showing on the field.
Pretty much sums it up. Does your employer pay you today based soley on your performance from 2 years ago, if you're not prepared to do it today? If so, I need a new job.

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:09 AM   #20
Blitzburgh
Banned

Member Number: 2863

Quote:

Personally, I don't give a damn what Duce or any other player did 2 years ago. It's yesterdays paper man, not doing us any good now.

As far as his conditioning is concerned, ANY aging back on the back side of their career will tell that 2 years means everything. It's not like Duce is a 24 year old kid. He's got to work for everything at this juncture of his career just to MAINTAIN, if he doesn't .... and he didn't ..... he will fail. Hence the vote of "No Confidence" from the Stillers front offices.
Blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote