Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-15-2006, 12:30 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Polamalu will play against Jacksonville

Steelers Notebook: Polamalu will play against Jacksonville
Friday, September 15, 2006

By Colin Dunlap, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The way Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu looks at it, these National Football League injury report thresholds are just an arbitrary barometer.

Yesterday, Polamalu, who sustained a shoulder injury in the Steelers' 28-17 season opening victory against Miami last Thursday, was upgraded from questionable to probable. Don't look for Polamalu to miss Monday night's game at Jacksonville.

He hammered the point home after practice yesterday, admitting that it would take a seismic happening to make this the first game he had miss in his three seasons in the NFL.

"God forbid, if I were paralyzed, died or called to do something else," Polamalu said. "That would be the only way I'd miss this game. Everyone gets injured playing this game at one time or another. You just have to deal with it."

Polamalu pointed to a three-play stretch in the second half against Miami as the point in which the injury occurred. On all three plays, he had rattling collisions with Miami players. After the game, coach Bill Cowher mistakenly said the injury occurred in the first half.

"It happened near the end of the third quarter or the beginning of the fourth," Polamalu said yesterday.

"It is a bone bruise, a shoulder contusion and something with my bursa sac."

While Polamalu and tight end Jerame Tuman (hamstring) were elevated to probable, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (appendectomy) is listed as questionable.

Asked whether Roethlisberger's status could linger into a game-time decision, Cowher said, "It appears there is a good chance that could be the case."

But if practice is an accurate gauge, Roethlisberger should be the starter against the Jaguars. Yesterday, just 11 days after his appendectomy, was the second consecutive day he practiced.

Heat index

For the second day in a row, the Steelers worked out indoors and with the thermostat cranked up so as to prepare for the warm and humid conditions they will face in Jacksonville. Temperatures yesterday in Jacksonville reached the low 90s and those same readings are forecast for Monday.

"Of course, the heat is in the back of everyone's mind," nose tackle Chris Hoke said. "You have to stay hydrated. We're not too, too worried about it, but it is a factor."

While the northeastern coast of Florida is much different than the Laurel Highlands, Steelers linebacker Joey Porter bound the two in his assessment of the heat.

"It's not like Latrobe was the coolest place in the world," he said of the Steelers' training camp site. "Hey, things like [the weather] shouldn't be a factor. We're all pro athletes and we get paid to play in different circumstances."

Asked if the Steelers will wear white jerseys in the game, Cowher had a little fun with the inquisitor, answering: "Yeah, as far as I know. But, I don't think the sun will be a factor."

Kickoff is set for 8:30 p.m.

Quick hits

It seems the scope of a game is heightened a little when the Steelers play on national television as they did against Miami and will against Jacksonville (ESPN). "When you have these games, all your buddies are watching," Hoke said. "You have to make sure you play well, because you know everyone is watching around the league." ... The consensus is that the 11-day layoff from the opener to Monday night is more positive than negative. Said cornerback Deshea Townsend, "At this time of year, it is a positive. We just got done with a tough training camp and your body needs all the time it can to heal right now." ... Running back Duce Staley and his newly-formed Catch 22 Motorsports team will field two Pro Stock entries in the 2007 NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series. Staley, the owner of the team, has enlisted the services of Jim Yates and Billy Gibson as drivers. "I believe that my experience with the elite competition in the NFL and the parity among NFL teams is transferable to the parity in NHRA Pro Stock," Staley said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06258/722041-66.stm

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 09-15-2006 at 12:45 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:46 AM   #2
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044
Default Re: Polamalu will play against Jacksonville

Good news on Troy, was there ever any doubt?
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:49 AM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsMe View Post
was there ever any doubt?
Well.......let's just say strong speculation...http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06256/721343-66.stm
Old 09-15-2006, 06:24 AM   #4
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Very glad to hear about Troy!

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:17 AM   #5
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

Sounds like Staley already is set in his career outside of football... chop chop
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:48 AM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

This is indeed great news. You just gotta love Taz and his love of the game.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:59 AM   #7
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
He hammered the point home after practice yesterday, admitting that it would take a seismic happening to make this the first game he had miss in his three seasons in the NFL.

"God forbid, if I were paralyzed, died or called to do something else," Polamalu said. "That would be the only way I'd miss this game. Everyone gets injured playing this game at one time or another. You just have to deal with it."
You can't stop the Tazmanian Devil that is so close with God! Troy is more prone to cause a seismic happening than bein affected by one.

Quote:
"It's not like Latrobe was the coolest place in the world," he said of the Steelers' training camp site. "Hey, things like [the weather] shouldn't be a factor. We're all pro athletes and we get paid to play in different circumstances."
What? No one informed Joey that the jags were countin on the weather bein a factor? Only the jags are supposed to be used to the weather in Florida! Hearin this from Porter it will now be even more fun seein the shocked try to respond when the Steelers delivery just like the mailman: rain, snow, sleet, or shine!

Quote:
Asked if the Steelers will wear white jerseys in the game, Cowher had a little fun with the inquisitor, answering: "Yeah, as far as I know. But, I don't think the sun will be a factor."
I'm not worried, last time I saw the Steelers wear their white away jerseys it did well for them, again, and again, and again, and again.

Quote:
Running back Duce Staley and his newly-formed Catch 22 Motorsports team will field two Pro Stock entries in the 2007 NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series. Staley, the owner of the team, has enlisted the services of Jim Yates and Billy Gibson as drivers. "I believe that my experience with the elite competition in the NFL and the parity among NFL teams is transferable to the parity in NHRA Pro Stock," Staley said.
Well now I know who I'm rootin for in the NHRA. Any chance we can strap a nitro engine on Duce's back for a lil more power?

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:11 AM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,922 Times in 4,520 Posts

scouting report on polamalu coming out of college said he was prone to concussions with his hard hitting style (similar to detroits #1 pick simms)

i wonder if he has done anything different or made a conscientious effort to alleviate this problem) it doesnt appear so.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:36 PM   #9
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
scouting report on polamalu coming out of college said he was prone to concussions with his hard hitting style (similar to detroits #1 pick simms)
I wish I could compare that report in contrast to the number of concussions he has caused opponent players from that same hard hittin style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i wonder if he has done anything different or made a conscientious effort to alleviate this problem) it doesnt appear so.
My guess is prayer. Knowin him and who he talkin to I'll bet that does a lot to help.

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:44 PM   #10
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Troy's playing? Shocker
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote