Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 09-16-2006, 12:03 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Steelers pick up on good sounds/Notes

Steelers Notebook: Steelers pick up on good sounds
Saturday, September 16, 2006

By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Chet Fuhrman is the Steelers' sound man, at least when he isn't their everyday conditioning coach. He sets up the public-address system around the South Side practice fields or indoor complex, pumping up the volume to better prepare the team for the aural experience of certain road games.

This time, though, Fuhrman seemed to forget yesterday one piece of black-and-gold noise.

Likely to be heard in Jacksonville's Alltel Stadium Monday night is this familiar refrain: Here we go, Steelers.

"Oh, man, the last time we played them, there was a whole lot of Steelers fans," cornerback Ike Taylor said, harking to the Dec. 5, 2004 game in which the Steelers edged the hosts, 17-16. "No question they were loud. Everywhere we go, we got fans there."

Jacksonville is a shade different than some other locales invaded, or choked, by Steelers fans.

The Jacksonville Black and Gold Club is holding a pep rally at a bar in that North Florida city tomorrow and entertaining an NFL Films crew shooting a television show about the phenomenon of Steelers faithful.

Safety Mike Logan knows. He didn't just witness reality TV, he lived the reality.

"Me playing down in Jacksonville," said Logan, a second-round draft choice in 1997 and member of the Jaguars his first four NFL seasons, "I know we do have a pretty big fan base down there. They have a couple of Steelers bars.

"This is a pretty exciting week down there for them. Even though we're not in the same division anymore, they'll be pumped up down there. It'll be an electric atmosphere for 'Monday Night Football.' "

Talkin' Troy

There was some buzz in the Steelers' locker room about an underrated trash-talker on the defense. Some guy named ... Troy Polamalu?

Before anyone places him in the same jowl-flapping company as Joey Porter or Larry Foote, please understand that Polamalu mostly yaks when provoked.

"It takes a little bit for him to get going,' cornerback Deshea Townsend said.

"You have to get him in that zone," Logan added. "He's a pretty quiet guy. But, when you get him riled up, he can talk a little trash. That's when he can come out of his shell, when somebody gets to him, gets under his skin. But it takes a lot to do that.

"Most of his trash-talking comes out in his actions."

Quick hits

Jaguars quarterback and fellow Mid-American Conference product Byron Leftwich, who rides a motorcycle despite protests from friends particularly after Ben Roethlisberger's incident in June, told The Florida Times-Union: "People that don't ride just don't understand. It's a fun thing to do. He wasn't doing anything dangerous. That's why it's called an accident." ... Pitt's Josh Lay was among three defensive backs who tried out with the Jaguars this week, although none was signed. ... Logan on preparing the new guys tis week: "They don't know that grand form or stage. It's going to take veteran leadership to show these young guys how to prepare for 'Monday Night Football.' "

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06259/722323-66.stm
Old 09-16-2006, 12:25 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Steelers pick up on good sounds/Notes

Notebook: Leftwich says he's not slow

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, September 16, 2006

• Byron Leftwich wants to clarify one thing: He isn't a slow quarterback. "I'm just the slowest black one," Jacksonville's unquestioned leader said, laughing. "I say that all the time, because if you count all 32 (teams), I am in the middle. I know I am not as slow as I think I am." Leftwich also doesn't scare easily, as evidenced by what he said when asked about the prospect of Steelers linebacker Joey Porter stalking him Monday night. "I understand what type of great player he is and all the different things he can do," Leftwich said, "So, I would know where he is (on the field), but to say I fear somebody, I fear no man."

• Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who had an appendectomy a little less than two weeks ago, practiced Friday, but the quarterback's status for Monday's game at Jacksonville remains questionable. Hines Ward (hamstring) also practiced for the second consecutive day and is listed as probable.

• If Najeh Davenport is making the trip to Jacksonville, it's news to him. The recently signed running back said he doesn't know if he will be on the active roster for Monday's game. Davenport signed with the Steelers after he was released by the Packers, and he's trying to earn the job as Willie Parker's backup.

Digits

5 -- Combined interceptions the Steelers and Jaguars had in their opening week wins.

235 -- Passing yards allowed by the Jaguars in last week's win over the Cowboys.

240 -- Passing yards allowed by the Steelers in its Sept. 7 win over the Dolphins.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_470824.html
Old 09-16-2006, 10:42 PM   #3
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044
Default Re: Steelers pick up on good sounds/Notes

Quote:
Talkin' Troy

There was some buzz in the Steelers' locker room about an underrated trash-talker on the defense. Some guy named ... Troy Polamalu?

Before anyone places him in the same jowl-flapping company as Joey Porter or Larry Foote, please understand that Polamalu mostly yaks when provoked.

"It takes a little bit for him to get going,' cornerback Deshea Townsend said.

"You have to get him in that zone," Logan added. "He's a pretty quiet guy. But, when you get him riled up, he can talk a little trash. That's when he can come out of his shell, when somebody gets to him, gets under his skin. But it takes a lot to do that.

"Most of his trash-talking comes out in his actions."
I could actually see this. Wasn't he called for unsportsmanlike conduct late last season? I'm thinking it was the playoffs against the Bungles, but I'm not sure. I do remember I was really shocked when he did it though. I'd still like to know what that guy said or did to provoke Troy like that.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote