Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-16-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
SteelersNationsfl
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1658
Default Peek at the Week: Jags ready to test champs

I don't want to seem like a cry baby here and I'm not. Every week since I was a kid I've watched practically every game and so that gives me the right to complain a little bit. I understand that Jax may have quietly put a team together but, would you consider them this good?

Peek at the Week: Jags ready to test champs
Sep. 14, 2006
By Clark Judge
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
Tell Clark your opinion!

Game of the week

Pittsburgh at Jacksonville, 8:30 ET Monday |
The line: Pittsburgh by 1
The injuries: Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger practiced this week and is expected to play after an emergency appendectomy sidelined him for Game 1. Safety Troy Polamalu (shoulder) also is expected to play, while wide receiver Hines Ward continues to improve from a sore hamstring. He played last week and should be OK for Monday.
Ben Roethlisberger's return might not be the difference for Bill Cowher and the Steelers. (AP) Jacksonville might not be so fortunate. The Jags lost defensive end Reggie Hayward in their opener and might be without defensive end Paul Spicer, who suffered a groin injury this week. He's listed as questionable, as are: Tight end Marcedes Lewis (ankle); reserve safety Gerald Sensabaugh (ankle), middle linebacker Mike Peterson (knee) and defensive tackle Marcus Stroud (ankle).
The story: We don't need to be reminded how good Pittsburgh is. You caught another glimpse last week when it won without its star quarterback. But now Roethlisberger is likely to return, and that's supposed to be the story here. Forget it. This one is all about Jacksonville. While the rest of the country is focused on Big Ben's appendectomy and Jake Plummer's battle for survival and Terrell Owens' hammy, the Jacksonville Jaguars quietly put together a rock-solid club. You saw how solid when they took apart Dallas last week, forcing Drew Bledsoe into a meltdown that has the natives restless in Big D.
For once, the Jags seem to have balance, with Byron Leftwich discovering receivers not named Jimmy Smith. Sure, the loss of Hayward hurts, but the Jags will move defensive tackle Rob Meier to his spot. The concern is more with Spicer. If he can't play, Jacksonville could be in trouble, with either Bobby McCray or Marcellus Wiley the starter.
My concern ... if there is a concern ... with Pittsburgh here is what happened to the Steelers on Monday night a year ago in Indianapolis. It marked Roethlisberger's return from a knee injury that sidelined him the previous three games, and he wasn't himself. Neither were the Steelers. They were smoked 26-7 and didn't recover until two weeks later. He could be ... no, he should be ... rusty again, and that will have an impact on both sides.
Steelers vs. Jaguars Steelers Power Ranking: 1 Category Power Ranking: 4 Jaguars 278 3 2 Yards/Game: Sacks: Interceptions: 323 2 3
The bottom line: Jacksonville is murder when it jumps to the lead. The Jags were 8-0 a year ago when they led after one quarter. They were 4-5 when they didn't.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9660769
SteelersNationsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
LambertLunatic
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2563
Default Re: Peek at the Week: Jags ready to test champs

Quote:
He could be ... no, he should be ... rusty again, and that will have an impact on both sides.
There's a difference between 1 week of rust and 3. Ben should be no more rusty than after a bye week. How did that 1 week of rust affect him last year when we played San Diego?
LambertLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 11:58 AM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Well its been months since he has played a competitive game, thats probably why they think he will be a little rusty to begin.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:05 PM   #4
LambertLunatic
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2563

Quote:
Well its been months since he has played a competitive game, thats probably why they think he will be a little rusty to begin.
Last year in week 1 its been months since he has played a competitive game, Result was a perfect game.
LambertLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:58 PM   #5
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

I think he will be a little rusty... preseason is alot diff than reg season and he has been through hell and back ...expect him to be rusty !! But we dont rely solely on Ben, we have a good running game and a pretty good D so no matter what, i dont think the game will get out of hand if jax goes up at any point during game.. he should be rusty and may miss some things that if he had played more in preseason and last week that he normally wouldnt. I still expect them to win and dont think that whatever rust he may have will be bad enough for us to lose, but i am not expecting any huge numbers from him.
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,951 Times in 1,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post

NM
up till last week ,how long has it been since pennington played a competitive game? or mcnabb?? or any qb??

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:34 PM   #7
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

This writer however seems to completely disregard the affect defense has on the game. He should get a reminder after Porter puts Leftwich on his back and Troy becomes omni-present on the field.

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #8
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
up till last week ,how long has it been since pennington played a competitive game? or mcnabb?? or any qb??
Well I would say that they have a game under their belts and thats what makes the difference in week2 - a pretty large difference if you ask me.

Sure, all QB's were in basically the same boat before last week, but most other QB's didnt spend alot of time rehabbing from motobike accidents and other physical ailments.

Im not saying Ben wont come out and look great, im just saying I can understand what the writer is getting at.

NM
Old 09-16-2006, 01:56 PM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,951 Times in 1,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Well I would say that they have a game under their belts and thats what makes the difference in week2 - a pretty large difference if you ask me.

Sure, all QB's were in basically the same boat before last week, but most other QB's didnt spend alot of time rehabbing from motobike accidents and other physical ailments.

Im not saying Ben wont come out and look great, im just saying I can understand what the writer is getting at.

NM
i understand what you were getting at, thats why i pointed out pennington. the guy missed almost the whole season last year and his first game back was probably the best of his career. so the rust theory is just that...a theory.these writers will say anything for a controversial story.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:03 PM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i understand what you were getting at, thats why i pointed out pennington. the guy missed almost the whole season last year and his first game back was probably the best of his career. so the rust theory is just that...a theory.these writers will say anything for a controversial story.
I would factor in the level of opposition aswell, the Titans are no-ones idea of tough opposition and Pennington probably had a ton of time to throw.

I would guess that Ben (if he plays) will be pressured a little more by the Jags D.

To my mind, all players have a certain degree of rust after time not playing - its just a case of who deals with it best.

NM