Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 07-05-2005, 10:29 AM   #1
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86
Default Inside Slant: Alonzo Jackson

Linebacker Alonzo Jackson is criss-crossing the country, trying to revitalize his flagging NFL career that started with such high hopes when Pittsburgh drafted him on the second round in 2003.

Jackson was scheduled to train with safety Troy Polamalu in Southern California and also be schooled by trainers in Arizona and Miami as he prepares for the opening of training camp July 31.

"I'm going to be back and forth a lot, go to different places, see how different people do it," Jackson said. "If I like it, I'll stay there, if I don't, I'll move on and go somewhere else."

The Steelers loved Jackson as a pass-rusher after he sacked quarterbacks 13 times at Florida State in 2002, the fourth-highest in school history. He mainly rushed the passer, but the Steelers tried to convert him to an outside linebacker in their 3-4 defense. He proved to be incapable of covering receivers, however, and now they'd be happy if he could successfully rush the quarterback to spell Joey Porter and Clark Haggans at times in their pass defenses.

He's been out of his Steelers uniform for twice as many games (22) than he's dressed (10). He's played in parts, many brief appearances, in eight games. He has two solo tackles on defense, one assist, and no sacks.

"I believe this year it's time for me to get out and do something," Jackson acknowledged.

Jackson was bypassed early last season by journeyman James Harrison as the top backup at outside linebacker. Jackson has since lost 11 pounds at the team's request and now weighs 258.

"It will be a big year for Alonzo Jackson," coach Bill Cowher said.

"It is and I understand that," Jackson said. "BIG year. I'm ready to contribute and do anything I have to do. It's up to me to impress that upon them."

Jackson's goal: "To play. To play any kind of way I can. To contribute, to help us win - rush the passer, a special teams guy, cornerback, whatever I can do. I just have to go out and do it."

Link to article: http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/PIT/8616632
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 10:33 AM   #2
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292
Default Re: Inside Slant: Alonzo Jackson

I read that. It might be good for him...he obviously needs some work, and knows that he is going to have to make some improvements. I think it is positive he is taking the time to do all this extra work before camp. If is definately needed, and might help him!
Old 07-05-2005, 10:39 AM   #3
Prosdo
Banned

I agree. He does need to improve and it would be great if he did. I am hoping his extra work does pay off. I guess we shall see this season.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:55 AM   #4
steelparrot
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosdo
"I believe this year it's time for me to get out and do something," Jackson acknowledged.

Link to article: http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/PIT/8616632
I would hope so....
Old 07-05-2005, 05:02 PM   #5
SteelBill
Water Boy

Member Number: 425

I think he is going to have to have a good preseason to make the roster this year.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:41 PM   #6
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

I completely agree. He just hasn't shown us much so far. I guess we'll see if this offseason training helps him any
Old 07-05-2005, 05:47 PM   #7
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Quote:
Jackson was scheduled to train with safety Troy Polamalu in Southern California and also be schooled by trainers in Arizona and Miami as he prepares for the opening of training camp July 31.

"I'm going to be back and forth a lot, go to different places, see how different people do it," Jackson said. "If I like it, I'll stay there, if I don't, I'll move on and go somewhere else."
That should help him, but what was he doing the last 2 years before this trying to get in shape!!!

Quote:
better late than never, huh Zo !!
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:07 PM   #8
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

Quote:
He's been out of his Steelers uniform for twice as many games (22) than he's dressed (10).
That is pathetic for someone who has been on IR.....let alone a healthy second round pick. I know Cowher likes to bring them along slow, but that is ridiculous. Even for a "project" player. He must be making no progress.....

Scott Sheilds would have made more progress than Zo If he was given this kinda chance.

IMO, either he can't do it, or he is not trying hard enough. Either way he should be cut.
I think there are a lot of players that were probabally never given a chance, that would have made more progress than Zo has. There are hundreds of players that want it bad, and want to work hard to get there.....ala. James Harrison and Dedrick Roper. Hell, we got two already on our roster. I would much rather see them keep Roper than Zo.

Sorry, don't get me started on Zo.....you don't want to see my blood pressure get that high. I thought he was gonna be a stud. What a let down!
Old 07-05-2005, 08:46 PM   #9
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBen2Ward
That is pathetic for someone who has been on IR.....let alone a healthy second round pick. I know Cowher likes to bring them along slow, but that is ridiculous. Even for a "project" player. He must be making no progress.....

Scott Sheilds would have made more progress than Zo If he was given this kinda chance.

IMO, either he can't do it, or he is not trying hard enough. Either way he should be cut.
I think there are a lot of players that were probabally never given a chance, that would have made more progress than Zo has. There are hundreds of players that want it bad, and want to work hard to get there.....ala. James Harrison and Dedrick Roper. Hell, we got two already on our roster. I would much rather see them keep Roper than Zo.

Sorry, don't get me started on Zo.....you don't want to see my blood pressure get that high. I thought he was gonna be a stud. What a let down!
Zo really pisses me off too..especially after spending such a high draft pick on a guy like this. Every time he plays, he's missing tackles, sacks, blowing right by the running back, not getting off blocks. It's really dissapointing for a player like him to not pan out.

Scott Shields, man he was supposed to be the second coming...and what about Jeremy Staadt!!
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:17 PM   #10
Prosdo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
Zo really pisses me off too..especially after spending such a high draft pick on a guy like this. Every time he plays, he's missing tackles, sacks, blowing right by the running back, not getting off blocks. It's really dissapointing for a player like him to not pan out.

Scott Shields, man he was supposed to be the second coming...and what about Jeremy Staadt!!
So true. I can understand not wanting to give up on a player, but he isn't exactly giving us much to work with. Whoever said what was he doing the years before I would like to know the same thing. I would love to see this guy step up and show why we took him at such a high pick.