Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 09-17-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Eagles-Giants game notes

Well, that was one heck of a game, if you aren't an Eagles fan.

Lincoln Financial Field is beautiful, and if you're lucky enough to get seats in the Chrysler Premier section (200-300 level) you have access to the Premier Lounge, a field-length climate controlled bar and restaurant area that is just killer; I would go here just to eat. They have "gourmet nachos" (served with chorizo steak chili), Eastern Shore crab cakes, steak sandwiches, quesadilla platters, ravioli with homemade gravy... 11 brands of imported beer, wine, mixed drinks, you name it. Prices are reasonable for stadium food, too.

But onto the game. I'm sure a lot of folks saw it, but you know that you can see a lot more when you're at the game.

First, that Eagles defense is awesome. It's real. And they weren't the reason Philly lost. They sacked Manning 8 times, and many of them were coverage sacks; Plex and Shockey were blanketed for most of the game. But they have little depth and fell apart when Kearse went out with an injury with around 3 minutes left in the 4th.

Plex still sucks. Forget that he caught the game winning pass, it hit him in the stomach. He also shortarmed a couple balls, had at least two drops, and got lucky when he fumbled forward on the 12 yard line and the Eagles muffed the recovery; another Giant recovered it in the end zone for a TD. On the way home I was listening to the ESPN guys interviewing him and kissing his ass; they obviously didn't watch the game.

The Steelers, and all Steelers fans, can see the anti-Steelers offense in the Eagles offense. McNabb is really great, but he can't carry the whole team by himself. The Eagles can score when they move the ball quickly, but they can't play any other way. The defense pushed the Giants all over the field in the first half and the offense went into the locker room at 17-7. When they went up 24-7 and tried to take the air out of the ball they couldn't do it; they went 3 and out a few times and the momentum changed. That's what happens when you can't enforce your running game on the other guy after you get the lead. Westbrook is a decent back and had some nice runs, but the Eagles' ground game just doesn't cut it. They had a 3rd and short and, with no faith in their running game, tried a pass that went incomplete; on 4th and 1 Westbrook got stacked at the line for -1. Once the opponents' defense figures out the Eagles' passing game the Birds have nothing left.

Manning and the Giants have one HUGE thing going for them... they stick to the game plan and don't get rattled. If the Giants face 2nd and 24, they go for 13 on one play and 11 on the next. They'll run on 2nd and 8 or 3rd and 5. In overtime they played as if the game just started; run run pass run pass pass run run. The Eagles played in overtime as if the clock was their enemy; the Giants played like there was no clock.

That's it. I would have liked to see an Eagles win, but it didn't happen. We met some great fans in the parking lot before the game, and had some AWESOME food from The BlueBirds, a husband and wife team where one roots Giants and one Eagles; they have a catering van that is blue on the drivers' side and green on the passenger side, with a completed bar laid out on the inside, a professional smoker and a half dozen grills. We struck up a conversation with "Tailgate Ken" who got us some drinks and invited us to sample some tri-tip roast in a red wine gravy, ribs, battered chicken tenders in redhot sauce, shrimp on a stick... good folks! And I saw a lot of good-natured rivalry but no hatred, no harrassment of folks wearing NYG colors. Our Steelersness went virtually unremarked on. It's a safe place to go to a game and be who you are.

Parking is not bad, if you don't mind walking a mile or so; leaving is like leaving any sporting event located in a metro area. It's not hard getting out of the parking lot, but it's hard getting out of the city and onto an interstate.

A nice afternoon, all in all. I'd go back, if I got free tickets again.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:22 PM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Eagles-Giants game notes

Thanks for the report Tom.

I like McNabb as a QB and I think their D is a talented unit - one of the best in the league, but I agree that they are hamstrung by this lack of faith in a running game.

Quick strike offense is great if you play teams like the Texans (see todays Colts) but other teams are going to wear your D-Line down and eventually start making plays.

Buckhalter nees to be given some opportunity to get up a head of steam - 6 carries isnt going to cut it for a guy like that.

McNabb run for almost a third of the eagles total rushing yardage - he will be the next one on the injury list.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901

McNabb is looking like he won't miss TO all that much and...

eli manning didn't look to bad either
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:33 PM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by boLT fan View Post
McNabb is looking like he won't miss TO all that much and...

eli manning didn't look to bad either
Terrell who? The acquisition of Donte Stallworth was a great move for the Eagles, and especially McNabb.

And....I agree with you with regard to Eli. He's coming along very nicely for the Giants.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:35 PM   #5
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
They have "gourmet nachos" (served with chorizo steak chili), Eastern Shore crab cakes, steak sandwiches, quesadilla platters, ravioli with homemade gravy... 11 brands of imported beer, wine, mixed drinks, you name it.
Sounds good..........now I'm hungry!!

Quote:
Plex still sucks. Forget that he caught the game winning pass, it hit him in the stomach. He also shortarmed a couple balls, had at least two drops, and got lucky when he fumbled forward on the 12 yard line and the Eagles muffed the recovery; another Giant recovered it in the end zone for a TD. On the way home I was listening to the ESPN guys interviewing him and kissing his ass; they obviously didn't watch the game.
Plex is still a Punk-B itch!! Anyone see the game highlights when Burress is in the face of Giants Offensive lineman Luke Petitgout after a play b itching and throwing a mini-tantrum???
Petitgout should have just kicked his ass right there on the spot.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:45 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,082 Times in 4,584 Posts

mmmmmm. tri tip. great breakdown mosca. and HTG i took mcnabb in the 3rd round of my ff draft and nailed stallworth in the 9th as my sleeper, so i know what your saying.

it was a good game to watch on fox (especially when you prefer the afc games)
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:02 AM   #7
Justin Otstott
Team Captain

Member Number: 539
My Mood: Relaxed

lmao did anybody see the Eagles kicker Akers get his ass beat on the sidelines? LMFGDAO