Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 09-18-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default AFC North feeding on cupcakes

Just 'food' for thought.

Jacksonville has more wins than Cleveland KC Oakland Miami and Tampa Bay combined.

The AFC North is perhaps the best in the NFL but so far the competition is hardly proof of anything...until tonight.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: AFC North feeding on cupcakes

I think its a little early to be calling a bunch of teams cupcakes - just the same as it is to write off a whole division.

KC should be there or thereabouts when they get Green back and I expecy Miami to improve (which wouldnt be hard) when their offense settles down.

Tampa have a good D and a useful offense and I expect them to get to 8-8 even with Simms behind centre.

By the same token, beating Jax in week 2 wont make the AFCN the best division in football either.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:24 PM   #3
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I think its a little early to be calling a bunch of teams cupcakes

NM
Perhaps. But when you only score 79 points and give up 225 points it leaves the door wide open to harsh criticism. That is disparity which will keep head coaches up all night long.

So no. I don't think it is too early with the exception of maybe Miami.

And I'd rather hang my hat on a cactus instead of that stiff Trent Green. At least you can squeeze a shot of tequila from an agave plant.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:27 PM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt View Post
Perhaps. But when you only score 79 points and give up 225 points it leaves the door wide open to harsh criticism. That is disparity which will keep head coaches up all night long.

So no. I don't think it is too early with the exception of maybe Miami.

And I'd rather hang my hat on a cactus instead of that stiff Trent Green. At least you can squeeze a shot of tequila from an agave plant.
You dont rate Trent Green?

I think he is a good QB with an excellent supporting cast.

At this stage the games that the AFCN teams have won against their opponents constitute 50% of those other teams records.

Its a catch 22 - if the AFCN hadn't had such a good start then we wouldnt be having this conversation and some of those teams would have at least 1 win under their belts.

NM
Old 09-18-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,077 Times in 3,188 Posts

I agree with LITP - too early to say who all the cupcakes and potential champs are at this point, although if Tennessee and Oakland combine for more than 6 wins this year I will be stunned.

For example, after the Pats were lucky to beat the Bills I thought it showed New England was down this year. But after watching the Bills defense do a better job of throttling the Dolphins than the Steelers did, the Bills D may be the real deal.

Until mid-October it will be difficult to see who the top teams are (e.g. - let's see how the Ravens do against teams better than the Bucs & Raiders and how Marty & Rivers handle competition at a level a little higher than the Raiders & Titans before we pencil in a Ravens-Chargers AFC championship game).
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:52 PM   #6
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Quote:
You dont rate Trent Green?

I think he is a good QB with an excellent supporting cast.
At this stage the games that the AFCN teams have won against their opponents constitute 50% of those other teams records.

Its a catch 22 - if the AFCN hadn't had such a good start then we wouldnt be having this conversation and some of those teams would have at least 1 win under their belts.

NM
?????????, excellent????, good RB and thats it!

Trent Green was going down last year! What makes you think this year was going to be any better?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:24 PM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
?????????, excellent????, good RB and thats it!

Trent Green was going down last year! What makes you think this year was going to be any better?
Well, its an opinion call I guess.

I would think I was in the majority of people who think that Holmes is an excellent RB.

He had 3 back to back 1400+ seasons and has a career avg of 4.6ypc and 86TD's.

It shouldnt be forgotten that he has caught the ball for nearly 3000 career yards at an avg of 8.8yds.

04 and 05 have obviously been drop off years for the Priest, but in 05 Larry Johnson showed up to the tune of 1750 yds and a 5.2 ypc avg.

Add in perennial pro-bowl TE Gonzalez, who has averaged almost 1000yds a season for the last 6 years, and I think you have an excellent supporting cast.

Sure the WR's havent been great, but the rest of the unit was built to score points and score them quick - unfortunately the D was built a similar way for opposing offenses.

NM
Old 09-18-2006, 04:33 PM   #8
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Well, its an opinion call I guess.

I would think I was in the majority of people who think that Holmes is an excellent RB.

He had 3 back to back 1400+ seasons and has a career avg of 4.6ypc and 86TD's.

It shouldnt be forgotten that he has caught the ball for nearly 3000 career yards at an avg of 8.8yds.

04 and 05 have obviously been drop off years for the Priest, but in 05 Larry Johnson showed up to the tune of 1750 yds and a 5.2 ypc avg.

Add in perennial pro-bowl TE Gonzalez, who has averaged almost 1000yds a season for the last 6 years, and I think you have an excellent supporting cast.

Sure the WR's havent been great, but the rest of the unit was built to score points and score them quick - unfortunately the D was built a similar way for opposing offenses.

NM

I thought you were talking about this year. I will agree 04 and 05 he was a good QB with great talent around him except for those dogs at WR.

I agree with you on the D.

I guess I see this team this year with a good RB (must prove over at least 3yrs) and mediocre at best WR'S, a good TE and ok O-Line. D still stinks!

Trent Green (I believe) would not have gotten this team to the playoffs this year, healthy or not. Don't be fooled by yesterdays game either, Denver is not that good. SD will run away with this division (remind me of this prediction come Dec). I was saying that the AFC East was the worst, but now I change that and say that it has to be AFC West.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:38 PM   #9
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
I thought you were talking about this year. I will agree 04 and 05 he was a good QB with great talent around him except for those dogs at WR.

I agree with you on the D.

I guess I see this team this year with a good RB (must prove over at least 3yrs) and mediocre at best WR'S, a good TE and ok O-Line. D still stinks!

Trent Green (I believe) would not have gotten this team to the playoffs this year, healthy or not. Don't be fooled by yesterdays game either, Denver is not that good. SD will run away with this division (remind me of this prediction come Dec). I was saying that the AFC East was the worst, but now I change that and say that it has to be AFC West.
I happen to agree with you on the Chargers prediction - I think they are loaded on offense and defense - if Brees was still there they would be outstanding, as it is I think Rivers can become competent enough this year to not be a burden.

Denver have the best year round HFA in the league, what with the altitude and all - its played a major part in their success.

KC are certainly past their peak - that was possibly in 04 or 05 when they had Holmes and Johnson and a strong, and healthy O-Line - probably the best in the league.

As you say, the D still sucks which is a real burden in the post season.

NM
Old 09-18-2006, 04:46 PM   #10
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Quote:
I happen to agree with you on the Chargers prediction - I think they are loaded on offense and defense - if Brees was still there they would be outstanding, as it is I think Rivers can become competent enough this year to not be a burden.

Denver have the best year round HFA in the league, what with the altitude and all - its played a major part in their success.

KC are certainly past their peak - that was possibly in 04 or 05 when they had Holmes and Johnson and a strong, and healthy O-Line - probably the best in the league.

As you say, the D still sucks which is a real burden in the post season.

NM
The Broncs will be helped out greatly by play the Raideretts twice, but I dont see them in the playoffs this year. Wild card (though this is an early prediciton) will come out of the North and South.