Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 09-19-2006, 08:14 AM   #1
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917
Default The fact of the matter is...

The fact of the matter is this for the fans:

(1) Coming off of a superbowl victory, making history and winning 8 on the road, AND a convincing win against Miami, our expectations were way too high going into Jacksonville.

(2) We underestimated the Jaguars

(3) The Jags played excellent D and kept our defense on the field long enough to score.

Let's move on now and focus on Cincinatti...I don't think Willie Parker is the problem in the running game, I think the O-line didn't play well against a good defense. Ben was rusty, needed to adjust to the speed of the game, and did pretty well with avoiding sacks and making plays, just needed to get back in sync with the recievers. The Steelers D played well, but the fatigue got to them by the end.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:18 AM   #2
Justin Otstott
Team Captain

Member Number: 539
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Re: The fact of the matter is...

sounds like a good idea to me!
Old 09-19-2006, 08:27 AM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,521 Times in 3,752 Posts

I concur the alarm clock can go off and we can go into panic mode if the Steelers lose at home to Cincy.

I look for a big effort on Sunday after an across the board mediocre effort against Jax. The Jags are a nice team (and probably will be a wild card again with 4 virtually guaranteed in-division wins against the Texans and Titans) but I do not belive anyone has them as a top shelf AFC team. Steelers need to beat Jax type teams to return to the playoffs out of the competitive AFC North - as was the case last year, losing to Jax puts the Steelers at a disadvantage with Jax on wild card tie breakers.

Ben and the receivers were out of sync all night (Wilson dropping the pass on the first drive was a preview of problems to come), but to someextent that is a function of Ben getting little work in the preseason.

Biggest worry for me at this point is that Troy was playing with one arm and did not appear to be a factor.

Finally, it may have been posted elsewhere (in the game thread?) but what exactly set Cowher off to get in Ike Taylor's face on the sidelines?

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 09-19-2006 at 08:40 AM.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:24 AM   #4
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

^ If I'm not mistaken, he got in his face because Ike was giving so much room to the reciever.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:35 AM   #5
Cebby
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Finally, it may have been posted elsewhere (in the game thread?) but what exactly set Cowher off to get in Ike Taylor's face on the sidelines?
I didn't see this, but did see him reading the riot act to Tyrone Carter - probably same conversation...

TOOLandFAB.com & My JD2 Bender Hydro Conversion
A discussion forum about tools, fabrication & workshops
**Now with live RSS feed and Free Member Photo Gallery**
Cebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:38 PM   #6
24~show your love~43
Water Boy

Member Number: 2134

well i don't know how many will agree, but ithink our problem was in the coaching staff... i mean ben had a 104 temperature earlier that day and troy was clearly incapable of reaching his normal status because he was one armed! not only did they allow both to play they didn't replace either or even give them much of a break when they clearly weren't all there. we have a capable qb in charlie batch... now he's not a stud, but he can get the job done when he needs to. now when we realize that ben is out of sync with the recievers we should have put charlie in to give him a chance to come up with something. not to mention they were a run stopping defense and we knew we needed an air attack which batch was clearly capable of. i mean the game may have turned out differently had they made the change and the fact that they put ben back in after we saw him grab his side after he was hit toward the end and we still put him in on the next drive instead of letting him have the time to recover pissed me off. now onto troy. troy in as capable as any other ss in the nfl with one arm, but you can't make plays with one arm... no interceptions can be made and it's much harder to make tackles and easier for the offense to break them. now those are the soul reasons i think this one is on the coaching staff!!!
24~show your love~43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:52 PM   #7
JustaFan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamix View Post
The fact of the matter is this for the fans:
Let's move on now and focus on Cincinatti...I don't think Willie Parker is the problem in the running game, I think the O-line didn't play well against a good defense. Ben was rusty, needed to adjust to the speed of the game, and did pretty well with avoiding sacks and making plays, just needed to get back in sync with the recievers. The Steelers D played well, but the fatigue got to them by the end.
Well said.
JustaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:02 PM   #8
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
Thanked 1,014 Times in 533 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24~show your love~43 View Post
well i don't know how many will agree, but ithink our problem was in the coaching staff... i mean ben had a 104 temperature earlier that day and troy was clearly incapable of reaching his normal status because he was one armed! not only did they allow both to play they didn't replace either or even give them much of a break when they clearly weren't all there. we have a capable qb in charlie batch... now he's not a stud, but he can get the job done when he needs to. now when we realize that ben is out of sync with the recievers we should have put charlie in to give him a chance to come up with something. not to mention they were a run stopping defense and we knew we needed an air attack which batch was clearly capable of. i mean the game may have turned out differently had they made the change and the fact that they put ben back in after we saw him grab his side after he was hit toward the end and we still put him in on the next drive instead of letting him have the time to recover pissed me off. now onto troy. troy in as capable as any other ss in the nfl with one arm, but you can't make plays with one arm... no interceptions can be made and it's much harder to make tackles and easier for the offense to break them. now those are the soul reasons i think this one is on the coaching staff!!!
So you don't think that Jax DL going through our O-line every other play had anything to do with it? How about Ben not playing for almost 7 months? I personally think that all the doom and gloom is completely un-necessary. It is the second game of the season there is plenty of time to make the needed adjustments. One last thing. Even if Batch was put in there last night, it still doesn't change the fact that there were lots of dropped balls, and some bad routes ran as well.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:40 PM   #9
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
So you don't think that Jax DL going through our O-line every other play had anything to do with it? How about Ben not playing for almost 7 months? I personally think that all the doom and gloom is completely un-necessary. It is the second game of the season there is plenty of time to make the needed adjustments. One last thing. Even if Batch was put in there last night, it still doesn't change the fact that there were lots of dropped balls, and some bad routes ran as well.

*applause*

nice to see some people actually get it......
Old 09-19-2006, 01:56 PM   #10
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post

There is no gloom and doom -- but I think the concerns about Parker are valid -- he has got to run smarter -- the Steelers entire offensive philosophy rests on him being successful...it was not all on the Oline last night -- I do have confidence that the proper adjustments will be made and the Steelers will crush Cincy -- but I am not sold on Parker as a smart every down back that makes good decisions....
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote