Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 09-19-2006, 09:25 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,143 Times in 3,096 Posts
Default do the refs know what a catch is???

we all know they blew troys int against the colts last year. last week matt joned had an exellent reception taken away. and last night cedric wilson had the ball for almost 2 seconds as 2 feet were down and he fell on his butt.

if that pass had been ruled complete (which it was) and then reviewed, the completion wouldve stood. the refs need to take a "tie goes to the runner" approach when it comes to making these calls.

the steelers were easilly moving the ball through the air at that point. ben wouldve been 3-3 and couldve driven the ball down and scored.

after that momentum killing incompletion cowher predictably took the air out of the ball and tried to establish the run. jacksonville was all over it.

i also gotta bitch about the horrible call on keisel for roughing the passer, as it was so nicely called the kimo rule. refs blew that one too!

it wasnt just one sided. there was a bad call against the jags (i forget which play) but it was an obvious make up call, for the 2 screw ups against the steelers.

while no calls impacted the game they did kill a steelers drive and give jacksonville 15 free yards in what was a defensive struggle that came down to field goals.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:02 AM   #2
Justin Otstott
Team Captain

Member Number: 539
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Re: do the refs know what a catch is???

Its looked like to me Cedric had the ball and then was stripped causing a fumble that went out-of-bounds! Anybody agree?
Old 09-19-2006, 10:28 AM   #3
JagFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 3094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Otstott View Post
Its looked like to me Cedric had the ball and then was stripped causing a fumble that went out-of-bounds! Anybody agree?

Reply clearly showed, that as he was falling to the ground, the ball was coming out. The receiver must maintain possession of the ball as he falls to the ground. It is not as simple as having the ball and 2 feet on the ground. I believe the competition committee updated the rules a couple of years ago, in which you must maintain possession of the ball as you fall to the ground.
JagFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:34 AM   #4
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagFan View Post
Reply clearly showed, that as he was falling to the ground, the ball was coming out. The receiver must maintain possession of the ball as he falls to the ground. It is not as simple as having the ball and 2 feet on the ground. I believe the competition committee updated the rules a couple of years ago, in which you must maintain possession of the ball as you fall to the ground.
the refs have been off. how long do you have to hold onto a ball before it is a catch. even if he did fumble, it was in his possession long enough to establish a catch. and this gripe isnt just about last night. here you have receivers making excellent catches all the tiime only to have them ripped away by the refs. the 2 best recent examples i can think of right now is matt jones last week and of course the polamalu int.

i was amazed that the refs let the bears b. berrians td catch stand (as it should have). 9 times out of 10 its like they will get out a telescope to see if the ball touches one blade of grass and rule that play incomplete.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:40 AM   #5
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagFan View Post
Correct, and if Cedric's back had hit the ground and then the ball was ripped out, then it would have been a completion. So the refs got it right.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
JustaFan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Correct, and if Cedric's back had hit the ground and then the ball was ripped out, then it would have been a completion. So the refs got it right.
He made no "football move". This was not a catch.
JustaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:50 AM   #7
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaFan View Post
He made no "football move". This was not a catch.
yeah, that "football move" crap pisses me off. i mean a catch is a catch, and a football move is a football move.

i know the rules have been geared up to favor the offenses and protect the qb but there are just too many games where good legitimat "catches" are erased. i believe all you should have to do to catch the ball is catch the ball.

the competition committee has made it so difficult that you have refs who dont know what to call or how to call it. way too analytical.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:58 AM   #8
ThatGuy246
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3089

Okay, I'm new here, so please excuse my painful lack of understanding...

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not complaining about the officiating or blaming it for the loss, and I apologize if someone has already raised the issue. Someone mentioned the "Kimo Rule" that was cited against Kiesel in the first half. The last time that Jax sacked Roethlisberger, on the replay it looked like the lineman (I don't know his name, sorry) made a very distinct second effort to bring him down by lunging at Ben's knees. Isn't that exactly what we were flagged for in the first quarter?

Many thanks to anyone who can shed light on the rule...

-A displaced Pittsburgher, but always a Pittsburgher at heart
ThatGuy246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:14 AM   #9
Justin Otstott
Team Captain

Member Number: 539
My Mood: Relaxed

To me it was a catch but by the rules I guess it wasnt...I dunnoo...
Old 09-19-2006, 11:15 AM   #10
24~show your love~43
Water Boy

Member Number: 2134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Otstott View Post
i agree completely!!!!
24~show your love~43 is offline   Reply With Quote