Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-19-2006, 02:56 PM   #11
ThatGuy246
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3089
Default Re: BIG BENJIMEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
I RESPECT HIM FOR WHAT HE HAS DONE BUT IT IS MORE ABOUT "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY?" HE NEEDED TO PLAY BUT NOT FOR THE WHOLE GAME.
I do see what you're saying, that maybe he could've shaken the rust off while subsequently allowing Batch to take over. But the trade-off to that is that you pose a legitimate threat to his confidence for, quite possibly, the remainder of the season. As I said, and now several others have agreed, let him knock the rust off and get comfortable with the game again before we face an opponent that poses an obstacle to the AFC North title... Maybe Batch could've made a difference - I'm certainly not denying he's got skills, including possibly some nunchuck skills - but in the long run, I'd rather take an early loss and get the Big Ben we've come to know & love back for the remainder of the season...
ThatGuy246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:05 PM   #12
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Two words - big picture.

If the Steelers are going to make it to the playoffs and do more damage this year it will be because Ben led them there - if you have to sacrafice a slight dip in QB performance for one game early in the season - you do it.

I think Batch is solid, nothing more - with no running game he would have struggled just as much as Ben last night.

I think its possible that some people are getting carried away with the YAC that were tacked onto Batch's stats last time out against Miami.

Oh and major props to Ben for taking that huge hit to the tender ribs area with just a grimace and nothing more.

That boy is a gamer.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:13 PM   #13
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,216 Times in 3,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersWyo View Post
After having his jaw wired shut then another surgery that surely resulted in living on hospital food for a couple days he has lost a lot of wieght. And with that comes losing strength. He may never be back this year to the size and strength he was last year. I think you could see that in his throws. Not a lot of zip on them and he seemed to use more body and less arm. That changes the mechanics and accuracy.

I would agree that Ben's mechanics may be off due to conditioning issues and pain from the torque of throwing while your abdomen is still healing, except that is an observation Theismann made during the broadcast and my assumption is that anything Theismann says is wrong. If Jaworski says it, then I will believe it.

Let's face it - Ben's appendectomy was another bump in the road and his first game back was not going to be easy. Add to that the Jax D was going to require more passing, a pumped crowd, a humid night, and Ben not feeling well. Not too surprising how it turned out.

Looks like a week of despair until hopefully all once again is well around 4:15 on sunday.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote