Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-20-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts
Default Is Jeff Fisher In Meltdown?

Jeff Fisher is second only to Cowher in longevity with one team, but this article in which Fisher lashes out at Volek after Volek said he got stiffed by the Titans appears to be another indication that Fisher's days with the Titans may be numbered.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/spor...=1&oref=slogin

In many ways I thought Fisher and Cowher had similar career tracks (players' coaches, teams with smashmouth style of play, early success in career). The difference is Cowher pulled out of his late '90s dip but Fisher appears to be heading to a truly awful season this year and has never come close to repeating his 1999-2000 successes.

My view is that even successful coaches wear out their welcome/burn out in one place after about 10 years - Fisher's conduct leads me to question at this point only whether he is gone after this year (he will be back somewhere else soon enough) or is dumped during the season.

Odd man out in all this may be Norman Chow, who left USC to be Titans' O-coordinator. Hard to see Chow being kept on if Fisher is tossed.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Is Jeff Fisher In Meltdown?

I think Fischer is still highly respected for his coaching ability and what he has achieved.

I think he is just frustrated at the fallout from his teams efforts to make a run at SB glory by piling all their resources into a McNair led window of footballing oppostunity.

The resulting cap nightmare has prevented him from putting out a team that has any chnace of reaching the playoffs in the last couple of years.

Its must be a huge come down to go from winning the division in 2002, tying for 1st place in 2003 and to then crash down to earth with 5-11 and 4-12 seasons.

The sad part is that it was so predictable.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:12 PM   #3
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I think Fischer is still highly respected for his coaching ability and what he has achieved.

I think he is just frustrated at the fallout from his teams efforts to make a run at SB glory by piling all their resources into a McNair led window of footballing oppostunity.

The resulting cap nightmare has prevented him from putting out a team that has any chnace of reaching the playoffs in the last couple of years.

Its must be a huge come down to go from winning the division in 2002, tying for 1st place in 2003 and to then crash down to earth with 5-11 and 4-12 seasons.

The sad part is that it was so predictable.

NM
I agree, but it all (IMO) falls to the ownership. Bud Adams is not much of an owner imo. Lets not forget he left HOUSTON to move to Nashville! Houston? How the hell can you not get it done in a city of this size and that loves football as much as they do. Just goes to show you, It all starts at the very top!
Old 09-20-2006, 05:16 PM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
I agree, but it all (IMO) falls to the ownership. Bud Adams is not much of an owner imo. Lets not forget he left HOUSTON to move to Nashville! Houston? How the hell can you not get it done in a city of this size and that loves football as much as they do. Just goes to show you, It all starts at the very top!
Yep.

I'd put the blame squarely on the shoulders of the owners aswell - they are the guys who call the shots for strategies like that.

I certainly dont dislike the Titans in any way, but its interesting to watch teams like that go off like fireworks for a couple of seasons then suddenly burn out....and fall back to earth.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:20 PM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I think if he doesn't get fired,he's gonna quit.

He'll be in one of two places most likley...San Diego or Baltimore.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
I think if he doesn't get fired,he's gonna quit.

He'll be in one of two places most likley...San Diego or Baltimore.
How do you figure he'll go to either one of those places? Both are winning and keeping their jobs secured unless either team has a meltdown near the end of the season.
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:29 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boLT fan View Post
How do you figure he'll go to either one of those places? Both are winning and keeping their jobs secured unless either team has a meltdown near the end of the season.
Marty is on thin ice in San Diego (I think he does not just need to make the playoffs but get to the AFC Championship or he is gone) and Billick is gone if he does not make the playoffs this year
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:40 PM   #8
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Odd man out in all this may be Norman Chow, who left USC to be Titans' O-coordinator. Hard to see Chow being kept on if Fisher is tossed.[/QUOTE]

Norm Chow is the man - I hope he gets a shot at being a head coach in the NFL -- I have followed his whole career... It's ironic that he does not have a QB to coach right now because the guy is a QB genius -- if they let him spend a couple of years with Vince - he will turn him into a stud -unfortunately, most NFL teams have no patience for this --
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:00 PM   #9
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Marty is on thin ice in San Diego (I think he does not just need to make the playoffs but get to the AFC Championship or he is gone) and Billick is gone if he does not make the playoffs this year
I know he and Aj have been fighting, and I think he can make to at least the AFC Championship this year. Even if he doesn't i'm hoping Aj Smith realizes that getting a new coach would be a setback and Marty gives us the best chance to win right now.

As for Billick it looks like he could be a horrible coach this year and the Ravens would still make the playoffs.
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:39 PM   #10
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by boLT fan View Post
If Marty misses the playoffs or fails in the first round,he's gone.AJ and him don't get along at all.

And if/when McNair goes down,Baltimore will go back to all defense and no offense (unless some key defensive players get hurt,then they go abck to nothing like last year).Billick is a horrible coach...anything short of the playoffs will get him the pink slip.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote