Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-21-2006, 03:13 PM   #21
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Porter's Pit Bulls Kill Horse

That is horrible.

The reason we always hear about Pittbulls and Rotts are because they are super-popular breeds so an attack by one or more of the dogs are always gonna get more media attention than another breed of dog.

My cousins have owned 3 or 4 Rotts and they never had any violence problems with any of them.The biggest problem with Rotts is that they are really big dogs so when they play with you (like tugging on a rubber bone or wrestling with them) you're more likley to get hurt because of thier size,not because they are violent dogs.

Most violent dogs are violent because they are either beaten by thier owner and/or they are trained to attack,especially pittbulls.In many parts of the country there are illegal pittbull fights.The dogs are abused and trained to be violent so they can win the fights,many people breed the dogs for this purpose.

Also,in the ghetto,many people feel they need a dog to protect thier house.They can't afford an alarm system,hell,many companies won't install a system in the ghetto.So they buy pittbulls and/or rotts and train them to be violent or agressive so the house and family is protected.When the dog gets loose,the training takes over and someone gets attacked.Normally a kid because a kid will want to play with the dog not knowing the dangers of it.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:51 PM   #22
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,113 Times in 2,391 Posts

Well it is pretty clear Porter's dogs were pathologically aggressive, whether by training or breeding, but: 1) Peezy does not live in the ghetto; and 2) I assume he can afford a burglar alarm.

There is no excuse for his dogs getting out (what did they do, take the keys in their mouth and unlock the gate?) and no excuse for owning in that setting animals with the disposition of the atttack dogs that killed a family's pet - it was not as if the dogs were needed to guard a junkyard. Prove your manhood in a way that does not put innocent bystanders at risk.

I am sure he is sorry, but sorry will not bring that horse back to life - Porter deserves to take some major heat for this.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:52 PM   #23
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,113 Times in 2,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEREWEGO View Post
this kind of stuff should happen more often...its exciting
You are a fool.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:28 PM   #24
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251

Dogs, like children need proper training,rearing, with-out that you have an un-diciplined dog, child. I have been around and raised dogs since I was about 7.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:11 PM   #25
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Porter upset by dog incident

By Michael Hasch
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, September 22, 2006

Steelers linebacker Joey Porter said Thursday that he would not keep the two pit bulls that attacked and killed a neighbor's miniature horse.
Porter was cited for harboring dangerous dogs and related charges filed in connection with Tuesday's attack at a horse farm on Hill Haven Lane, not far from his home in Pine.

According to a statement released through the Steelers, Porter said he was upset by the incident because the dogs were raised to be family pets and not attack dogs.

Out of concern for his neighbors and community, Porter said, he was having the dogs shipped to a kennel in California.

Porter said he was a parent and understood his neighbors' fears about having such dogs around. He said he wanted to do what's best for the community.

Northern Regional Police, who investigated the attack, filed the citations yesterday before District Judge Regis C. Welsh Jr. of Hampton.

Porter has 10 days to respond to the six citations -- two each for harboring dangerous dogs, failure to keep dogs confined and failure to have the dogs licensed in Pennsylvania.

They are summary offenses that carry a possible fine of $300 each, Welsh said.

Welsh could hold a hearing to determine if the dogs are dangerous.

If he decides they are, a report will be sent to the state Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement, which requires that such animals be registered.

The bureau also has a strict set of safety guidelines for owners of such animals, Welsh said.

Richard and Eleanor Bowers, who owned the horse, had no comment.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_471669.html
Old 09-21-2006, 11:22 PM   #26
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

You have to wonder what sort of mentality Porter had bred in these dogs - to attack and bring down a horse is the action of dogs that are used for fighting or that are kept so hungry that they are delirious.

I imagine most dogs would bark at a horse or maybe even feint a chase at it, but to rip its neck out means they were conditioned to be that way.

All I can say is that it was lucky they didnt come across humans first or Peezy could be up in front of the judge on much more serious charges.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:30 PM   #27
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Watched a special on Joey Porter on Steelers TV ONDEMAND and I strongly doubt he would intentionally breed them to kill. The guy has four kids for starters. Plus he stated they were raised to be "family pets and not attack dogs". I see no reason why not to believe him.

Now, would a pit bull be my first choice for a family pet? No. From what I gather (I'm not a dog expert nor am I going to pretend that I am) they have a history of acting perfectly normal one second and snapping the next. But, it's a free country. The guy can own them if he pleases.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 09-22-2006 at 12:35 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:50 PM   #28
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

I thought Porter's statement was professional. I'm sure there is a reason the dogs got out and Joey will make sure they won't get out a 3rd time...
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:33 AM   #29
theropodx
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1906

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
That is sickening and we hear that kind of stuff all the time about Pit Bulls. How are we suppose to feel? They are unnecessary. I have never heard of a dalmation tearing a kid to bits or killing them, where do you get your information? Would you like to share your source?
Yeah, that came for a Dateline NBC episode. The stat wasn't theirs, however, but its so long ago I don't remember the source. You may reject this source out of hand (admittedly I can't provide a direct citation), but here again I encourage people to do a little research--lots of info on the web explaining how dogs that are not properly handled are dangerous, but it's not a breed-specific problem.

Oh, and I didn't say dalmations kill kids.
theropodx is offline   Reply With Quote