Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 09-22-2006, 12:07 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Big Ben eager to see offense improve

Big Ben eager to see offense improve

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, September 22, 2006

It may be too early in the season, heck too early in his career, to call Sunday's game a critical one for Ben Roethlisberger.
But the third-year pro has to know his performance will be dissected even more than usual, which may seem impossible given that he plays the highest-profile position in a city where the pro football team ranks a close second to oxygen in terms of priority.

That is why the Steelers starting quarterback acknowledged Thursday that he will have to resist the urge to make up for one bad game in one quarter against the visiting Cincinnati Bengals.

"We need to get off fast, but we need to be smart with it," Roethlisberger said before practice at the Steelers' South Side facility. "I need to make sure that I don't try to do too much this week. Let's go out and take what they give me."

Jacksonville didn't give Roethlisberger much Monday night except for another reason to feel sick.

The Jaguars stuffed the Steelers running game and limited Roethlisberger, who played with a cold and a fever, to 141 yards passing and intercepted him twice.

For all he'd like to forget about the game, Roethlisberger did concede that it had some value.

If nothing else, it allowed he and his teammates to get a feel for one another during game conditions -- the speed is much faster than anything they see in practice.

"I think it helped; I really do," said Roethlisberger, who missed the season opener because of an emergency appendectomy and didn't play much in the preseason due to an offseason motorcycle accident. "It is good to get out there, and hopefully, I'll be better this week."

He figures to, at the very least, feel better. Roethlisberger said he was still taking antibiotics but that his cold was "going away.

He hopes the offensive troubles he experienced against the Jaguars also goes away.

He missed some passes and had a few of them dropped in Jacksonville, contributing to a miserable offensive performance in which the Steelers crossed midfield just one time in 11 possessions.

"It wasn't off by much," wide receiver Hines Ward said of Pittsburgh's passing game. "It was just a play here, a play there. Our timing will be better this week, as opposed to last week."

The offense and the passing game, in general, will be helped considerably by the return of a strong running attack. Or even a semblance of one.

Willie Parker rushed for 115 yards in the season opener but managed just 20 yards on 11 carries against the Jaguars.

Roethlisberger is well aware that the ground game is the foundation of the offense, but he knows the Bengals defense also will dictate what the Steelers do when they have the ball.

"If that means throwing the ball down the field, it means throwing the ball down the field," he said. "If it means hitting the check down or checking to run plays, then that's what we've got to do."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_471666.html
Old 09-22-2006, 08:00 AM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Big Ben eager to see offense improve

Oxygen rates higher than football in Pittsburgh? Someone has their facts wrong!

I'm looking forward to Ben tearing the bungles D a new one!!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:55 AM   #3
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

there will be improvement....but Ben is right...you cant try to do too much....

Take what their defense gives you...be patient...and all will be well...
Old 09-22-2006, 02:28 PM   #4
cmdrfunk
Water Boy

Member Number: 1189

Why is he taking antibiotics if a cold is caused by virii?
cmdrfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:31 PM   #5
siss
Team Captain

Member Number: 1611

Its probably for his appendicitis.

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
siss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:19 PM   #6
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

cant wait, i bet if he starts off bad and ends bad by the end of the first half, then we will be seeing a lot of charlie batch.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

It may be too early in the season, heck too early in his career, to call Sunday's game a critical one for Ben Roethlisberger.

No, it is never too early to over react - by all means let's go on suicide watch and agree that if the Steelers lose Sunday the Roethlisberger era in Pittsburgh is at an end and that the Steelers need to tank the season so they can draft Brady Quinn.

I can only imagine the tone of the stories we will be reading if the Steelers lose on Sunday and everyone has 2 weeks until the San Diego game to brood.

It is a nice inflammatoryt lead for the story but that writer needs to get a grip and/or an editor.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:32 PM   #8
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Improve?, it could'nt get any worse!
Old 09-22-2006, 07:27 PM   #9
Rush58
Starter

Member Number: 516

As long as we stay a run 1st offense, we will always be a one-dimensional team with an under develop qb.
Rush58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:55 PM   #10
Dynasty
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush58 View Post
As long as we stay a run 1st offense, we will always be a one-dimensional team with an under develop qb.
If you mean to call Roethlisberger an underdeveloped QB, then you are obviously mistraken. As far as I know of, underdeveloped QBs don't take their teams to the AFC championship game in their rookie year, then win a Super Bowl in the next year. And just because the Steelers are a run first team, that does not make us one-dimensional. Especially considering the way Big Ben plays.