Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-22-2006, 07:06 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,259 Times in 3,628 Posts
Default Holmes Out/Reid In On Sunday?

From this morning's P-G:

Rookie wide receiver Santonio Holmes did not practice for the second day in a row because of inflammation on the arch of his foot and will not play against the Bengals if he doesn't practice today.

Cowher said Holmes does not have a stress fracture, but he is unable to cut and push off when he runs. If Holmes doesn't play, Cowher said No. 3 draft pick Willie Reid will be active for the first time this season and likely will return kickoffs and punts along with Ricardo Colclough.

I am not deluding myself that Davenport and Reid will play like All-Pros if given a chance, but the power running game and return game need a boost - I am interested in seeing what Reid may bring and hope he is active on Sunday.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:18 AM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Default Re: Holmes Out/Reid In On Sunday?

More from the P-G:

Question: Willie Reid was twice the receiver and twice the punt returner that Santonio Holmes was in the preseason. Why isn't Cowher putting the best player on the field? Reid could not be worse then the bobbling, fumbling and ineffective combination of Santonio Holmes and Ricardo Colclough.

BOUCHETTE: You may get your wish. Santonio Holmes has a foot injury and may not suit up for Sunday's game. If that's the case, look for Willie Reid to return punts and kickoffs. I'm told that Reid is not that far behind Holmes as a receiver, so if he can prove himself as a punt returner he could force the issue whereby Bill Cowher would dress him and not Holmes for games. That would be a big blow to Holmes, however, as a No. 1 draft pick, not to mention delay his development.

It remains a mystery to me why the Steelers spent two top picks on WRs if they apparently will not have room on the roster to play both of them all season. It is not as if they are dressing All-Pros at every other spot on the roster and had no other needs to address through the draft.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:24 AM   #3
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

I'm looking forward to see Reid return kicks
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
SteelersNationsfl
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1658

Me too... I am also interested in seeing Reid return some kicks and catch some passes. I got a good feeling about this kid.
SteelersNationsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:06 AM   #5
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I`m really interested in seein Reid play as well, to bad its at the expense of losing Holmes
Old 09-22-2006, 10:15 AM   #6
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

Hopefully Reid will do well enough to warrant them putting someone else on the inactive list with or without Holmes being healthy...If holmes and Colclough looked better on returns, then wouldnt be much of an issue but since our field position on returns is so poor the first few games, i am all for giving him a shot at it... Would be nice to see his 4.3 speed out on receiving troutes as well so hopefully he has a good showing Sunday.
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:34 AM   #7
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082

From the Beaver County Times

With Holmes hurting, Reid could play
By: Mike Bires - Times Sports Staff
09/22/2006
Email to a friendPrinter-friendly
PITTSBURGH - The Steelers' No. 1 choice in this year's draft is off to a slow start. So maybe it's time to let a No. 3 pick show what he can do.

Advertisement

With top pick Santonio Holmes listed as questionable with a foot injury, Willie Reid may dress for the first time this season.

"I'd love the opportunity," said Reid, a rookie wide receiver out of Florida State who was the Steelers' second of two third-round draft picks. "It's been tough sitting out the first two games. Everybody's asking me what's wrong. I'm just accepting my role."

Holmes, a wide receiver out of Ohio State, has caught two passes for 21 yards so far (one catch in each of the first two games). He's also returned one punt for 3 yards and four kickoffs for a 21.3 average.

"We'll know more (Friday)," coach Bill Cowher said of Holmes' status for Sunday's game against the Cincinnati Bengals. "He has an inflammation of his arch. We've ruled out any stress fracture or anything like that. We'll see how he feels (Friday). If he doesn't practice, he won't play."

At the end of training camp, it appeared Reid was the Steelers' No. 1 punt returner. But then he was designated inactive for both of the first games.

Holmes was injured in Monday's 9-0 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars. Thursday after sitting out his second straight practice, he said his tender foot is feeling better and that he hopes to practice today.

But if Holmes isn't ready to play Sunday, Reid will take his place as the Steelers' No. 4 receiver and as a kick returner.

Cowher didn't rule out keeping cornerback Ricardo Colclough as the main punt returner, although both Colclough and Holmes have struggled returning punts.

"I'd love to get a try returning punts," Reid said. "That's what I do best."

The Steelers rank 31st in the league in punt returns and 18th in kickoff returns.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:51 PM   #8
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

Anyone know what time we can expect to hear some news about this? I've got a buddy whose has Santonio FF implications, and Reid is still available (mostly for return yards, but they count too!)
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:03 PM   #9
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I cerytainly wouldnt have picked Santonio for my FF, but in real football terms it will pay the Steelers dividends to let Holmes see as much play as possible.

Sure he is going to run the wrong route a few more times, and stop before he hits the 1st down marker - that all comes with experience.

What the Steelers need is to let the guy see the field as much as possible and gain some type of chemistry with his QB - lets not forget that QB/WR is one of the most 'telepathic' partnerships on the football field and it takes time to get on the same wavelength.

Reid would be a nice bonus if he could make a permanent KR and 3rd WR - anything after that point is gravy.

If santonio is not fit enough to play, then you obviously give Reid a shot - bit its way too early to start losing faith in a guy who is probably going to be a work-in-progress for 2 years.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:27 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

I agree with LITP it is way too early to give up on a #1 pick, but if a #3 pick brings more than the #1 pick (anyone think we should have ditched Hines in order to give subsequent #1 pick Troy Edwards more time to develop?) then you go with who plays better on the field.

Needing to see who can be a greater asset is one reason I am puzzled why playing Holmes or Reid is an either/or proposition with Cowher. I assume neither Holmes or Reid has a clue whan it comes to kickoff or punt coverage so they can not justify a roster spot on coverage teams.