Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-22-2006, 11:09 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Banged-up Bengals turn to reserves

Banged-up Bengals turn to reserves

By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, September 23, 2006

CINCINNATI - You're probably not familiar with the Cincinnati Bengals' starting strongside linebacker.
Not unless you follow the Edmonton Eskimos, anyway.

Rashad Jeanty is one of several obscure players who'll have an unexpectedly prominent role Sunday against the Steelers. He played the past two seasons in the Canadian Football League and will start in place of 2005 first-round draft pick David Pollack, who suffered a season-ending neck injury last Sunday against the Cleveland Browns.

Four Bengals starters will not play.

Also missing are third-down back Chris Perry, who is on the physically-unable-to-perform list, and kick returner Tab Perry (remember him?), who is out with an injured hip. Perry had a game-changing, 94-yard kickoff return in the Bengals' 38-31 victory last season at Heinz Field.

Much like the Steelers of two years ago, the Bengals are facing a major test of their depth.

"It's a long injury list, so you just point to your fellas and say, 'This is why you're on this team,' " coach Marvin Lewis said. " 'Now, you get an opportunity. You've been looking at me with that long face on Sunday mornings. Now it's your chance, babe.' "

A closer look at the replacements:

Jeanty. Has a pedigree, having been rated by The Miami Herald as the sixth-best prep player in the talent-rich state of Florida as a high school senior. Poor grades and family issues prompted him to leave the University of Central Florida after two years. He hooked on with the Eskimos, recorded 13 sacks in two seasons and got a lucky break in January when most of the Bengals coaching staff was on vacation the day of his workout/tryout. That meant Lewis was forced to conduct the workout - and he liked what he saw. Jeanty was the only undrafted NFL rookie to start the season opener, as Pollack was recovering from a hamstring injury. "He can play," said defensive tackle John Thornton.

Eric Ghiaciuc, center. Filling in for veteran Rich Braham, who suffered a deep knee bruise last Sunday. Ghiaciuc a fourth-round pick out of Central Michigan last year, must contend with All-Pro nose tackle Casey Hampton. Ghiaciuc endured a baptism by fire in his only other NFL start - last year against the fearsome Jacksonville front. By all accounts, he played fairly well that night and won't be intimidated. Guards Eric Steinbach and Bobbie Williams will help with the line calls. Ghiaciuc expects Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau to target him and welcomes the challenge. "I love to play football," he said.

Kevin Kaesviharn, strong safety. This is a spot to watch, as Kaesviharn, a sixth-year pro, former starter and longtime talk-show lightning rod, replaces solid newcomer Dexter Jackson (ankle). Kaesviharn isn't nearly the tackler Jackson is.

Kenny Watson, third-down back. The loss of Chris Perry was a major blow, though Watson, a fifth-year pro out of Penn State, makes the most of limited touches (career averages: 4.9 yards per carry; 7.4 per catch).

Brian Simmons and Landon Johnson, linebackers. Ninth-year pro Simmons replaced suspended Odell Thurman in the middle, while Johnson moved into Simmons' old weakside spot. Thurman is serving the third game of a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. Simmons is a steady presence, having finished first or second on the team in tackles every full season he has played. He has a team-best 18 tackles. Johnson is versatile and capable of big games, as he showed in the win at Heinz Field last season, when he recorded 11 tackles and forced a fumble.

Reggie McNeal, kick returner. The Bengals are hoping the elusive ex-Texas A&M quarterback can become their Antwaan Randle El. McNeal passed for 6,992 yards and ran for 1,889 in college. He took Pollack's place on the roster this week and is expected to make his NFL debut Sunday -- on the field where Randle El used to roam.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_471847.html
Old 09-23-2006, 03:23 AM   #2
Polamalu43
Team Captain

Member Number: 2665
Default Re: Banged-up Bengals turn to reserves

i just wished they would have all there starters in the game, so after we beat them they wont have any excuses...

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack lambert
Polamalu43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 05:01 AM   #3
Marvin_for_prez
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polamalu43 View Post
i just wished they would have all there starters in the game, so after we beat them they wont have any excuses...
In the other thread, you said that you hope they are all out for the season.
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=10905
Make up your mind, junior.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin_for_prez View Post
In the other thread, you said that you hope they are all out for the season.
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=10905
Make up your mind, junior.
..I dont think he is waffling...one post is smack...this one is just hoping that all are as healthy as possible to avoid a seahawk woulda/coulda situation
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 03:11 PM   #5
Polamalu43
Team Captain

exactly lamberts-lost-tooth, but what do u expect from a bungal fan..lol poor fool.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack lambert
Old 09-23-2006, 03:15 PM   #6
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polamalu43 View Post
exactly lamberts-lost-tooth, but what do u expect from a bungal fan
uumm...maybe a bit of class, but don't worry, I don't expect that much from you.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 03:17 PM   #7
Polamalu43
Team Captain

and u talk about class? the bungle org and fans are the least classiest fans in the NFL. just ask your hero marvin lewis lol and by the way, why are u even on this board why aint u on your bengals.com boards? i been there a couple times and believe me, u guys have alot of classless fans up there..

Old 09-23-2006, 03:19 PM   #8
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

We do have some classy Bengals fans here. Just wanted to defend the class acts that do stop by here.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 05:16 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,189 Times in 3,490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosdo View Post
We do have some classy Bengals fans here. Just wanted to defend the class acts that do stop by here.
really? they should start posting sometime.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:18 PM   #10
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

any Bengals loss to us there will be an excuse... happens every time. There are nothing but a bunch of little bitches. A loss will be blamed on something other than there players or coaching staff.
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote