Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-22-2006, 11:11 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Staley optimistic he'll play this season

Staley optimistic he'll play this season

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, September 23, 2006

Ask Duce Staley about the passion that has become a job, and his eyes light up and a smile creases his face.
As it turns out, the running back's need for speed goes beyond the football field.

Staley is the owner of the Catch 22 Motorsports team, and it will enter two cars in the National Hot Rod Association's Drag Racing Series in 2007.

When asked if he sees himself getting behind the wheel of one of his cars, Staley laughed.

"I don't know yet," he said. "Let's save that for later."

For now, Staley is squarely focused on a different kind of running. The right knee that has hobbled him for more than a year is feeling stronger every day, Staley said.

That is why he is optimistic he will contribute this season, even though he has yet to get a carry and has become a forgotten man in the Steelers' backfield.

Staley was inactive for Monday night's game in Jacksonville and could be again Sunday when the Cincinnati Bengals visit Heinz Field.

"It's been frustrating, but it's also been a learning process, too," Staley said Friday after practice at the Steelers' South Side facility. "Just know that you can't jump back out there when you think you feel good, because you've got to be 100 percent."

The 31-year-old Staley hasn't been 100 percent since his first season with the Steelers in 2004.

Last year, he had surgery during training camp to repair a meniscus tear, and he ended up playing in just five games and rushing for 148 yards and a touchdown.

Staley entered camp this year as the front-runner to replace Jerome Bettis as the team's short-yardage back. After averaging just 2.2 yards a carry during the preseason, the 10th-year pro finds himself behind Willie Parker, Verron Haynes and Najeh Davenport, if coach Bill Cowher's decision to dress Davenport for the Jaguars game is any indication.

"Two-a-days are rough on anybody with a bad knee," said Staley, who played for the Eagles from 1997-2003 before signing with the Steelers. "And I'm starting to feel better."

It apparently shows.

"It's a different Duce," said Parker, who supplanted Staley as the starting running back last season. "He's running really well, and I go up to him and tell him all the time 'Duce, you look really good.' "

Staley had three 1,000-yard seasons for Philadelphia and showed his versatility by twice catching more than 50 passes.

He's had to accept a reduced role since starting his first seven games with the Steelers in 2004 - probably more reduced than he ever imagined.

Not that Staley, who took a $1 million pay cut to return to the Steelers, is resigned to watching the rest of the season in street clothes.

"It's all about continuing to build strength in my knee and continue to get that burst, and I think now it's starting to come back," Staley said. "I think (getting back on the field) will come."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_471844.html
Old 09-23-2006, 07:18 AM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,207 Times in 3,233 Posts
Default Re: Staley optimistic he'll play this season

For now, Staley is squarely focused on a different kind of running. The right knee that has hobbled him for more than a year is feeling stronger every day, Staley said.

"Two-a-days are rough on anybody with a bad knee," said Staley, who played for the Eagles from 1997-2003 before signing with the Steelers. "And I'm starting to feel better."

Duce had what was described as minor knee surgery in 2005 training camp and still has not come back. Of course, two a days (and the Steelers had how many of those this past camp?) are going to be tough on anyone who spends the off season going on a 5 month tour of all you can eat buffets.

This guy is done and appears to have done very little to try to get back in shape - surprised teh Trib-Review decided to waste newsprint on yet another story on Duce's "comeback."
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Question is...with what team?????
Old 09-23-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

i believe he will be released after this season and be like Kordell who never played afterward.(kordell did play but not like he did at pitt...he signed with ravens)
Old 09-23-2006, 10:04 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203 View Post

Question is...with what team?????
one good felony and he is guaranteed a contract with the Bengals...or he can activate the "out of shape slow running back" clause and sign with the Broncos ala Maurice Clarrett
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:07 AM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
i believe he will be released after this season and be like Kordell who never played afterward.(kordell did play but not like he did at pitt...he signed with ravens)
I know what your saying..but lets not forget that Kordell was also one of the 127 quarterbacks that have started for the Bears in the last 10 years ...

....makes you wonder where he would be if he would have just accepted the fact that as a QB he made a great WR.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:08 AM   #7
jaysta
Starter

Member Number: 1495
Talking Re: Staley optimistic he'll play this season

I'm not going to hold my breath. LOL
jaysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:15 AM   #8
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

He's going to step up this season. Watch
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:40 AM   #9
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

I'm really not sure that he will
Old 09-23-2006, 12:53 PM   #10
jaysta
Starter

Member Number: 1495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamix View Post
He's going to step up this season. Watch
He may. But it would be nice to see him on the sidelines in a Black and Gold uniform instead of a sweatshirt and a ballcap. Hut one Hut two.....
jaysta is offline   Reply With Quote