Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-25-2006, 11:08 PM   #11
I.C. Lights
Starter

Member Number: 530
Default Re: Exactly what is Pittsburgh,PA really like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysta View Post
Except sometimes that BAM is slowed down by rush hour traffic and then it turns into GRRRRRRR! LOL...it is a cool view though when not stuck in traffic and rushing to get into downtown.

Then I guess it would be a Baaaaaaaam - anyway its still better than philly where, when traffic stops, you just lock your doors!
I.C. Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:03 AM   #12
SteelersWoman
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3077
Arrow Re: Exactly what is Pittsburgh,PA really like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSteeler3443 View Post
Some people just like the way they play football.... Who knows. Who cares. Why would you want to be a fan of any other team when you could be a steelers fan.
Good answer!

I just thought I'd mention (and give kudos) that Pitt hospitals are known world wide--and people travel there from everywhere in the world to receive some of the best that's available in the field of medicine.

I'm glad that we live close, becuz many times down through the years there have been various family members at a hospital there--but never did I appreciate it more than when my Mom had colon cancer and needed an operation.

I've also been to Pitts for other reasons--such as seein Toy Story On Ice, visited Pitt Zoo, went on a pleasure cruise that had dining and entertainment, and went around the 3 Rivers fountain, etc.

I'm a country girl, so I'm not crazy about Pitt traffic, parking, and one way streets, but when you want entertainment, or someone needs great medical treatment--it's one of the best places to go.

I feel that the Steelers is my "hometown" football team even though I live in Ohio. I can be in downtown Pitt in less than an hour, whereas Cleveland is 2 1/2 hrs away, and Cincy is 4 hrs away.

Our local tv channels 2,4,7,11 and 13 all broadcast right outta Pitt, so I've been "hearin Steelers" all my life. Channel 9 gives us more news outta Pitts area than they do our own, and you probably can't walk into a bar and grill without seein Steelers jerseys, hats, posters, etc plastered all over the walls. I don't believe I've ever seen any Browns stuff up...

So whether Pitt wants to claim us or not is of little relevance, we've claimed Pitt! lol

By the way--whoever put those pics up, those are great!
Old 09-26-2006, 02:25 AM   #13
Jim Schue
Water Boy

Member Number: 2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEREWEGO View Post
let me just ask how one is a fan if they never at least visited the city??? like how do you just pick a team and start following them...but the 'burgh is sweet man. nice city and some cool history around that area
Well, I grew up in Northern Kentucky ? Bengals Country ? but my very first football memory is of the first win over the starboys in the SB and all the fantastic catches by Swann. Couple that with the fact that Jack Lambert struck me ? then a 5-year-old ? as one of the meanest, toughest, coolest looking guys I had ever seen, and from there on I was hooked.

I've been to Pittsburgh once ? about five years ago on a brief layover while flying from DC to Dayton, Ohio. I'm dying to get things lined up with a few other buddies to go to Pittsburgh for a game. I've seen them a few times in Cincy.
Jim Schue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:50 PM   #14
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

First off..Friday133
Lazy huh?... I doubt it brother
For one, I guarentee you one thing... I have probably been a Steelers fan longer than you have been out of diapers... I have been a Steelers fan and no other team even comes close.. not college football team=Miami,Fla. not even the beloved Tar Heels basketball compares to my love for the Steelers.. I am a sports guy all the way around. My favorite MLB team is the LA Dodgers.. NBA Team is the LA Lakers. But I guess just because I live in Gods country here in Western NC I am Not allowed to pull for out of town teams... with a young child like Friday133 tellin me I should pull some home team right? I could be pullin for the Carolina Panthers or the Atlanta Falcons... but I bleed Black N Gold... so, Friday133.. we will see if the Steelers have a poor season this year how long you are here in the forrum.. I will be a Steeler for Life you can bet your life on that.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:41 PM   #15
Steelillini
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2040

wedo...........I have been to Pitt twice and the entrance they talk about is spectacular. I need to get back to see a baseball game at night as the view on TV from PNC park is awesome. If you get a chance go see a game at Heinz. Spend the entire weekend. The people are great and the tailgating is something to behold.
Steelillini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:23 PM   #16
Mamaduck43
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 592

I grew up in North Park - - about 14 miles from The Point..... My ex was in the USAF, and we lived 16 places in 24 years of "Home is where the AF wants us", including two times living in the 'Burgh...... Luckily, we were there when we won SB IX and we pulled our kids out of school to stand in the cold, cold streets to wave to the team when they returned home..... I remember the McDonalds on Liberty Avenue (I wonder if it is still there) handed out free hot chocolate and coffee to the fans who were freezing their buns off outside.....

I watched the Renaissance City overcome the "Smokey City" days to become one of the most dramatic and exciting cities in the world..... It sure does clean up nice and those photos brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eyes.... I learned to water ski in the Allegheny River and often skied from 6 mile island near Highland Park to the Point and back.... We used to take our boat downriver to watch fireworks when they were happening....

The Medical, Educational and other facilities located in the area rival any other city in the world.... The scenery, the parks and museums are great... And, OMG~~~~the food!!!!!! You can tour the whole world food-wise, given the time and $$$ in a week or two within a few blocks within the boundaries....

And, after being gone from the area for 2/3's of my life, I can still detect a Pittsburguese accent in my voice..... And I didn't realize that there was a Pittsburgh accent until I went East to go to school...... I thought everyone talked li `dat!!!!!

There is a loyalty to the City and to our teams that exists - - and many out-of-towners discover the teams and end up finding out that Pittsburgh is a pretty neat place..... I will defend all things Pittsburgh forever......

If you have the opportunity to visit - - do so - - - - you will be pleasantly surprised, I am sure.....
Mamaduck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:39 AM   #17
Steelers
Starter

Member Number: 2373

I'm a Sophomore at the University of Pittsburgh and before last year, I'd never been out here. I'm from York, PA (4 hours East). This city is definately one of a kind. It's almost as if Heinz Field stretches out to every corner of the city because you can't walk out the door without seeing Black and Gold or meeting a fanatical Steelers follower.

Everything from the football (Pitt and Steelers) to the hills and the bridges to Primanti Bros. and O Fries, the skyline and the constant rain help to make this my favorite city. It has more "intangibles" than most others and the blue-collar mindset is unique.

As was said before, even though the steel mills aren't as prominent, places like UPMC are on the forefront of technological breakthroughs and the "new" Pittsburgh looks to be very promising while still honoring the past.

P - I - T - T, LET'S GO PITT!
Old 09-28-2006, 03:50 PM   #18
melroseplace
Team Captain

Member Number: 520

I have a fascination with Pittsburgh, I'm not quite sure why. I grew up about an hour from the city and my parents aren't real big fans of driving in the city so I would only go on occasion. now that I'm at school like 20 minutes outside of the city, I make every excuse I can to go into it. my favorite thing is coming out of the Fort Pitt tunnel, it gets me every time makes the 45 minutes you spend sitting in traffic before the tunnel (it was 45 minutes last night at 5:30 lol) totally worth it, in my opinion
Old 09-28-2006, 04:22 PM   #19
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEREWEGO View Post
let me just ask how one is a fan if they never at least visited the city??? like how do you just pick a team and start following them...but the 'burgh is sweet man. nice city and some cool history around that area
A little harsh dude. Personally I really don't care if some kid in South Korea wearing an 86 jersey can't point out Pittsburgh on a globe (I bet more Koreans know where PGH is than most Americans to be truthful). All of that merchandise money goes back to the Rooney Family so they have more to spend on the product on the field.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:23 PM   #20
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
Brendan Gill, architecture writer for The New Yorker, 1990: "The three most beautiful cities in the world are Paris; St. Petersburg, Russia; and Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe, tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it."

Follow the link for pictures. My eyes get misty looking at the home town I left 20 years ago.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/lo...hp/t19461.HTML

Tom
Great link. Thank you.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote