Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-24-2006, 10:53 PM   #11
stunta86
Banned

Member Number: 3034
Default Re: Are you impressed with the Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysta View Post
I sure did see it. In the last 7 minutes after we fumbled to give the lead away and the momentum swung their way. Up until that we had complete control of the game on both Defense and Offense. If we had the ball back with a 3 point lead we could run the ball and control the clock some more. Instead we were down by 4 with 7 minutes to go. Ben was definitely not great throughout the game, but you have to admit, that fumble in their red zone changed his way of thinking at the end.
i don't really get what you are talkin about...i just called him ben maddox...the reason for that is because all the forcing the passes and two picks happened before the fumble...the third pick happened after the fumble.
stunta86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:01 PM   #12
jaysta
Starter

Member Number: 1495

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunta86 View Post
i don't really get what you are talkin about...i just called him ben maddox...the reason for that is because all the forcing the passes and two picks happened before the fumble...the third pick happened after the fumble.
I agreed that he didn't play great, but that being said, it looked as though he was really trying to force balls through the defense after we fell behind halfway through the 4th quarter. It was more like a panic type thing. Until then Ben seemed to have complete control of the game (even with the little mistakes). It was the big mistakes near the end of the game that really killed us. His 30.7 pass rating really stunk, but it didn't seem to be the big reason for the loss.
jaysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:08 PM   #13
stunta86
Banned

Member Number: 3034

Quote:
I agreed that he didn't play great, but that being said, it looked as though he was really trying to force balls through the defense after we fell behind halfway through the 4th quarter. It was more like a panic type thing. Until then Ben seemed to have complete control of the game (even with the little mistakes). It was the big mistakes near the end of the game that really killed us. His 30.7 pass rating really stunk, but it didn't seem to be the big reason for the loss.
i know he wasn't the big reason for it..it was cowher's poor coaching decisions to play musical punt returners that lost us this game...ben just didn't help the cause by playing like maddox all game
stunta86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:08 PM   #14
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156

Quote:
I can't totally agree with this statement. Yeah he didn't have a great game, but he controlled the tempo of the game until we fumbled that punt and gave Cincy a touchdown to take the lead with about 7 minutes to go in the 4th. Then he seemed to get alot more nervous and it really began to unravel.
I have to disagree. Now, do not take this as a jab...I totally love Ben to death. But, he threw into double coverage; he threw 20yds short; he was throwing high; he was throwing behind.

Ben did not have a bad day, he had a TERRIBLE day.

Do I respect him less? No, not at all. I really hope this coming Bye week helps his health. He needs the down time....to get his head straight, if nothing else. He still feels as though he has to prove something. I really do believe that he rushed back a little bit too soon (just a little) when he played in the Jax game. After that performance, he felt as though he had to come out gunning.

I just hope that no one dumps trash on his lawn like they did to Maddox. That would really damage his self image and his confidence will just run off a cliff.

He sucked today....we all have a day like that.

Right now, he needs fan support, not criticism.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon.
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:51 PM   #15
BozMan
Starter

Member Number: 3027

This loss to Cincy reminds me of the loss to New England early in the year last season.

In the NE game last year, the Steelers played well for the most part, but then shot themselves in the foot with stupid mistakes. (Randle El's lateral to a covered an unexpecting Ward that NE recovered... wiped out a huge pass play and totally swung momentum the other way. Later, Barrett Brooks jumped offsides during a FG, which negated Jeff Reed's excellent conversion of a difficult 48 yd field goal... of course, Patriots go on to win by 3.)

The Steelers had this game. Even with Ben's bad decision making leading to 2 INTs early on, the Steelers were in control in the 4th quarter... up until they self-destructed.

So... to answer the question of this thread: No, I am not impressed with the Bengals. Willie and the O-line shredded Cincy's run defense. Palmer got sacked, fumbled, and got chased around all afternoon. The two Johnsons were non-factors. Cincy put together two good drives in the 2nd quarter and capitalized on the gifts the Steelers gave them... that's about it.

I don't see the Bengals being able to stand up against a well-disciplined team. Unfortunately, the Steelers were not that team this afternoon.
BozMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:00 AM   #16
HEREWEGO
Water Boy

Member Number: 3090

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunta86 View Post
only if ben maddox goes back to ben roethlisberger
lol ben maddox
HEREWEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:06 AM   #17
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

No, not really - they were exposed a bit today on their OL, and I see them struggling against teams with fast defenses that bring a lot of pressure. The Steelers were wearing them out most of the day - 6 sacks, 2 INT and a fumble recovery against Palmer. You do that, and you win most games...but obviously, today was not "most games."
Old 09-25-2006, 12:44 AM   #18
clarient
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1742

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalBrianII View Post
When it came down to making the plays though, only one team came through

This

turned into this
The plays where Palmer got sacked like a little weenie? Yeah, those were some great plays.

In the case of Jacksonville, the Jags earned their win fair and square - the hard way. The Bengals got it handed to them in the form of easily intercepted passes and fumbles. Bengal offense did not EARN a win tonight, no way. The offensive performance didn't justify it. Ya'll came through with a number of good plays but for the most part our D did a fantastic job... the O just didn't follow though.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:31 AM   #19
SteelersWoman
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3077

I'm sorry to say it, but 2 players cost us that game--and it was definitely atypical behavior from the main player of the two. He is just NOT comfortable yet--I hope he finds a comfy spot soon ;)
Old 09-25-2006, 05:36 AM   #20
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
I think neither team was very impressive in that game. Both Ben and Carson were rusty...and both teams were making silly mistakes. I think the new years eve game will be a better judge of which team is superior, but Cincy showed just enough heart to stay in the game and that was impressive to me.
They didn't "stay with the game" unless you mean standing there and letting us hand the ball to them. I 've really not been impressed with the Bengals thus far (hey I live here in cinci, too). Yeah, they got the win and we take them any way we can get them, too. That's the only stat that matters in the end. I'll take our D over any in the league right now. But I think the Bengals are darn lucky we screwed up big time else the Bengals fans would have been crying into their jungle rags all week. How many times did Ben throw into the endzone, for gawdsakes? I don't recall the Bengals having many opportunities to do that as a result of their own drives. Of course, when I go to work today, having an intelligent converstion with any Bengals fan will only be a pipe dream.

You're ok CS85.......for a Bengals fan. It wouldn't be much fun around here without a few Bengal fans to jaw around with.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote