Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Community > Introductions

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-25-2006, 06:13 PM   #1
Giantsfan
Water Boy

Member Number: 3159
Default Giants fan here

Greetings Steelers fans, I come in peace. We got smashed by the Seahawks so feel free to bash me. The reason I am here is to get you guy's opionion on our DC Tim Lewis. I am constantly tired of seeing our defense shut teams down on 1st and 2nd down, only to give up a 1st on 3rd and long with NOBODY around the other teams players. This guy just doesn't seem to get it as far a defending the pass. Our DB's are contantly giving 8-12 yd cushions and we are getting killed. What was Lewis like with you guys? Why was he fired?
Giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:16 PM   #2
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored
Default Re: Giants fan here

Hey Giants Fan. Probably for similar reasons that you state, and believe that he didn't get along with Cowher, and at the time, we needed change there.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:44 PM   #3
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

I never liked Tim Lewis's defense..........it seemed like it was more read and react than playing agressive and attack.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:37 PM   #4
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

I think you answered your own question. Third and long.
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:28 PM   #5
newjacksm
Water Boy

Member Number: 3162

I actually Signed up to make this same exact post.. I would like more steeler fans to give more explaination please :)

thanks!
newjacksm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:47 PM   #6
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Joey Porter complained many times about Tim Lewis' defense, that it wasn't aggressive enough. His scheme is a read-and-react scheme, and as a result, we were horrible on third and long ourselves. I remember the Atlanta game here back in 2002, when the Steelers were up by 17 late in the game and the Falcons came back to tie it up - they were consistently getting beat on third and long, including a 3rd and 22 and a 3rd and 24. Bottom line, his scheme sucks and I'm not surprised at all at the Giants' D not being able to stop anyone on third down. Your personnel on D isn't built for that - it's built to attack, similar to the Eagles' D - you have Strahan and Umenyiora, for God's sake. Lewis needs to turn them loose!
Old 09-25-2006, 09:02 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,504 Times in 3,739 Posts

Tim Lewis came in as Steelers' defensive coordinator after Jim Haslett went off on his doomed journey to coach the Saints

This link to a story on Lewis getting fired after the 2003 season provides a nice summary of what did Lewis in - a woefully slow secondary

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...04-222516.html

The downfall of Lewis' defense began in late 2001 when the Bengals, with nothing to lose, threw on every down for around 400+ yards and won in OT. By 2002, the word was out Dwayne Washington and Chad Scott could not cover anyone one on one and teams (starting with the Pats and Raiders to open the 2002 season) went to spread offenses/no huddle/ throwing on every down and Lewis' defenses never recoverd..

Lewis tried to compensate by going away from the zone blitz to cover 2, which reduced sacks and took the Steelers away from the attacking zone blitz style that had come in with Cowher in 1992.

While Lewis was too conservative a defensive coach for Cowher's taste, Cowher holding onto his assistants the last several years has been a definite change - Cowher had a well-earned rep of being a pain to work with (Dick LeBeau and special teams wizard Bobby April made lateral moves to get out in the mid-1990s). In addition, starting with the 1993 season, Cowher had a rep of making ritual human sacrifices of assistant coaches when he had a bad season.

So, as for why he got fired, Lewis had too conservtive a coaching style and Cowher needed to blame someone for a losing season in 2003 (caused in large part by the Steelers wrecked O-line and going pass happy, which was something Tim Lewis could not be blamed for).

Assuming Coughlin lasts until 2007, do not be surprised if Lewis is tossed from the sled by Coughlin to save his own skin.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I can probably sum it up in 3 words.

No Pass Rush.

It doesn't matter how good your DB's are or how much cushion they give if your D-line isnt pressuring the QB.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:41 PM   #9
ThunderJacobs
Water Boy

Member Number: 3164

I'd like to add to my fellow Giants fan. Maybe I wasn't paying attention but our D was bad yesterday that I don't remember getting to 3rd down very much, it's not only the 3rd down D. Oh and I'd like to disagree with X-terminator. Even though sometimes he does dumb thing and drops Strahan in coverage TL hasn't really hindered Strahan and Osi that much in fact he usually rushes 4 and Giants fans hate it. Our DEs are just not playing well.
ThunderJacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:09 PM   #10
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156

Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome ........................................and did I say "Hey There!"

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon.
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote