Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-25-2006, 09:14 PM   #1
Steelers
Starter

Member Number: 2373
Default I Don't Think Ben Was As Bad As He Seemed

I mean, yes he had 3 interceptions. But, that's only 1 more than Carson's 2. Carson also fumbled the ball twice...

I think the beastly wind made both quarterbacks seem MUCH worse than they are and anyone calling for Ben's head here, needs to see this. I'm not one to make excuses, and I honestly think that his "inaccuracy" needs to be somewhat accredited to the windy conditions.

A breeze here or a gust there could've completely changed the game.

Not for ChokeLEE though. He just plain sucks.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:35 PM   #2
Bigsteve332310
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2248
Default Re: I Don't Think Ben Was As Bad As He Seemed

I was actually thinking it may have been the wide recievers lack to get open. It seemed like the line gave ben plenty of time but he had nobody to throw to and at times tried to force it. There were also some balls that could have been caught. The loss hurts but its a 16 game season we will be back im not worried.
Bigsteve332310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
SteelerMurf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2064

I was at the game, there were not many guys open most of the day. And when Ben put it there they dropped it. They dropped 3 first downs and a TD by my count.

I think Ben is very hesitent to pull it down and run. I think that is the difference this year, he is not taking a scramble and turning it into a 5 yard gain, he now thinks he has to throw it.

Read in another thread I posted that Tunch Ilkin broke down 2 of Ben's INTs.

the first, Miller did not do a very good sell on block and was held up by the linebacker and wasn't in the spot that the play is designed to go to...and Ben hurried the throw off his back foot. I don't think he should have thrown it, but I see where he thought Miller should be.

On the 2nd INT, Ben read correctly single coverage on Wilson and threw to him when he was open. He stepped on a foot and felll down when he threw it, also the wind blew it down. By the time the ball got there it looked like there was tripple coverage when there wasn't.

I can't fault Ben on the last INT when he has to throw in the endzone no matter what.

And let us not forget the perfect pass that Washington dropped. He catches that, we very well may have been kicking a field goal with 10 seconds left to tie.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:00 PM   #4
jaysta
Starter

Member Number: 1495

Hopefully once he heals up completely he'll be more comfortable to run it when no one is open. I have to agree that even though his passer rating wasn't very good, he controlled the tempo of the game by mixing up the run with calculated passes. It was ours to win...or lose. Yesterday just wasn't our day.
jaysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:02 PM   #5
stunta86
Banned

Member Number: 3034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers View Post
I mean, yes he had 3 interceptions. But, that's only 1 more than Carson's 2. Carson also fumbled the ball twice...

I think the beastly wind made both quarterbacks seem MUCH worse than they are and anyone calling for Ben's head here, needs to see this. I'm not one to make excuses, and I honestly think that his "inaccuracy" needs to be somewhat accredited to the windy conditions.

A breeze here or a gust there could've completely changed the game.

Not for ChokeLEE though. He just plain sucks.
4td for palmer.....that made up for the 2 ints, the second wasn't palmers fault, henry got blasted and it bounced off of him and landed in ike's hands...........we can make all the excuses in the world for ben but fact is he played like crap.....what are your excuses for him playing like crap against the jags??
stunta86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:06 PM   #6
jaysta
Starter

Member Number: 1495

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunta86 View Post
what are your excuses for him playing like crap against the jags??
That game we were just plain terrible!
jaysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:34 AM   #7
BlacknGold Bleeder
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1254

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunta86 View Post
we can make all the excuses in the world for ben but fact is he played like crap.....what are your excuses for him playing like crap against the jags??
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Did you ever stop to think about what he's been through the last few months?? First the accident and recovery time... time usually spent getting on the same page as the recievers, not to mention working out and getting in game shape. Then another 2 weeks off for surgery at probably the most important time of preseason... He may not be lighting the world o fire right now but I believe there are plenty of reasons!!

BTW Please watch your step while jumping on and off of the bandwagon!!
Old 09-26-2006, 12:38 AM   #8
silver2000svt
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2164

That pick over the middle is as bad a throw as you will EVER see in the NFL...
Old 09-26-2006, 12:56 AM   #9
Jim Schue
Water Boy

Member Number: 2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Did you ever stop to think about what he's been through the last few months?? First the accident and recovery time... time usually spent getting on the same page as the recievers, not to mention working out and getting in game shape. Then another 2 weeks off for surgery at probably the most important time of preseason... He may not be lighting the world o fire right now but I believe there are plenty of reasons!!

BTW Please watch your step while jumping on and off of the bandwagon!!
Good post.

I'm like you ? given the stop-and-start nature of Ben's preseason, it would be absurd to have expected him to be razor-sharp right out of the gate. The bye week can be spent working with receivers and getting everyone on the same page in the passing game, and things will work themselves out.
Jim Schue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:00 AM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I remember poor Tommy Maddox getting absolutely roasted for blaming the wind, when he threw a bunch of interceptions.

My guess would be is that is Steeler policy to never, EVER blame the wind for not getting the job done.

Colclough could blame the very same wind for making him back pedal faster than your average politician on that punt return - it seemed pretty obvious that the wind got hold of it late during its flight.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote