Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 09-26-2006, 10:08 AM   #1
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Response to the "no worries about Ben" threads

I'm concerned. Follow me through on this. The guy hasn't had a good game since the AFC championship game.

I'm concerned that he's a head case, that's what concerns me.

For his rookie year, he was basically doing what he was told, with no responsibility other than performing physically; hand off to this guy, make the reads and throw to that guy. No big deal, rely on the god-given talent. Hey, if a rookie screws up, that's expected; he's a rookie, after all. But, when playoff time came, and the pressure was on, his performance tanked. He (and we) chalked it up to exhaustion.

Last year, he played well. During the stretch run, and the playoff run, there was no pressure because no one expected anything; the Steelers were the underdogs all the way through, if they lost it was what was expected. But, then the Super Bowl came up, and the pressure was on, and the eyes of fans everywhere were on him, and... his performance tanked.

Now this year, the pressure's on. He's BIG BEN, the quarterback of the Super Bowl Champions, and he's expected to get better. Forget about the accident and the appendix. In the NFL, if you're ready to play, you play. If you're physically compromised, you adapt your game to what you can do. Ben can certainly hit guys on short crossing patterns, guys coming out of the backfield, flares, screen passes... can't he? By the evidence of the last two games, no.

I hate to ask it... but could it be that our guy can't handle the expectation of success? I've always believed that he's not all that complicated emotionally. But what I don't see on the sidelines is the same guy I saw the first two years; laughing, joking, confident, one step ahead of everyone else. I see a guy who is worried and hesitant, and who is thinking a little bit behind everyone else. The game isn't an open book to him like it was before.

It's crunch time for this guy. This is where he gets to decide if he's going to be with Carson Palmer and Tom Brady, or with Mark Johnson and Mark Brunell. Will he be able to lead his team to victory one-handed when he has to? Only if his team believe that he can, is my answer. A couple more games like those and that might not come true.

Tom

Last edited by Mosca; 09-26-2006 at 10:12 AM.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:26 AM   #2
Da Question
Water Boy

Member Number: 2894
Default Re: Response to the "no worries about Ben" threads

I agree he hasnt made many plays, but he has made plays when they counted. As bad as he played last week, he still gave us a chance for OT by driving us down the field, in the superbowl he made that strike to hines after the huge scramble to set up a score. The main thing is he is still learning, most rookies will not get to start till their 3rd 4th season much less win a superbowl. Plus he hasnt had a qb mentor. Working behind someone like tommy maddox your gonna have some flaws.
Da Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:33 AM   #3
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

I was listening to a sports talk show as I left Pittsburgh yesterday. I'm sorry that I don't remember the name of the guy. His take was that this off week is not good for Ben at all. He believes that physically, he's fine or he would not be able to move around and out of the pocket as easily as he is. He believes his problem is mental and rust....just not enough play time. Practice can't duplicate it. While this break may be good for others on the team....Troy....Hines, etc., it's not what Ben needs right now at all. Those were his thoughts. Makes sense to me. (I'm sure some of you locals know who the guy is...regular talkshow AM). Thoughts?

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:41 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,143 Times in 3,096 Posts

while there is reason to worry, we have become spoiled as fans. ben screwed up with 3 int's. but he did the exact same thing last year against the bengals. his int's and a special teams breakdown cost us THAT game.

keep in mind out of about 30 regular season games only those 2 against the bengals has he EVER thrown for more than 2 int's. out of the same amount of games ben finally threw his FIRST red zone interception. sure it sucked and denied a 14-0 score, but its not like ben has a habit of doing this.

i think ben will handle the pressure of success fine. as for his sideline mannerisms and huddle presence, he probably is a little bummed he didnt play much and had 2 bad games when he did play. he is now the leader. the last 2 years jerome was always there to pump him up and get him fired up. maybe a little of that is missing. now ben is that guy. its probably a little adjustment for him taking over that leadership role.

there have been about 4-6 drives in the past 2 games where ben looked dead on accurate, was seeing the field and making the proper plays, so he still has it. its just a matter of being a little more consistant. unfortunately this 2 week layoff isnt really gonna help that. ben has always been a slow starter after extended time off bye weeks are not good for him:

vs the jets his 1st year
last year in training camp and pre season
after his knee surgery last year
after the afc champ game in denver
and then this year

Last edited by tony hipchest; 09-26-2006 at 10:44 AM.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:26 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,428 Times in 2,945 Posts

Saying he succeeds when there is no pressure and screws up when there is pressure and then defining all successful games as "no pressure games" and all poor games as "pressure" games leads to a self-fulfilling analysis.

Given his poor showing in the 2004 playoffs, I find it hard to define 3 road playoff games as no pressure situations. Being 10 points down to Cincy twice in a road playoff game and leading the comeback (especially with a scramble for a first down early in the game) was pressure, as was having the coaching staff put it on your back to come out throwing in the Indy win and take a rabid Denver crowd out of the game.

No matter how good the QB, if you have lousy receivers your performance is going to suffer - Tom Brady is the money QB of this era but he did not look like it Sunday night - I do not believe that is due to a drop-off in Brady's skills or commitment. Right now, with Hines banged up while Wilson and Washington drop easy catches it is hard to argue the Steelers receivers are in the top half of the league.

I agree Ben is having a rocky start and that he has had several awful big games (2004 playoffs, SB XL), but I am not ready to call him a head case who folds under pressure while he quite possibly is nowhere near 100% - I will save the slur of cannot bring it in pressure games for Saint Peyton.

He can watch film this week, but I think a week's rest will be good for Ben, Hines, and Troy.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:31 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
I'm concerned. Follow me through on this. The guy hasn't had a good game since the AFC championship game.

I'm concerned that he's a head case, that's what concerns me.

For his rookie year, he was basically doing what he was told, with no responsibility other than performing physically; hand off to this guy, make the reads and throw to that guy. No big deal, rely on the god-given talent. Hey, if a rookie screws up, that's expected; he's a rookie, after all. But, when playoff time came, and the pressure was on, his performance tanked. He (and we) chalked it up to exhaustion.

Last year, he played well. During the stretch run, and the playoff run, there was no pressure because no one expected anything; the Steelers were the underdogs all the way through, if they lost it was what was expected. But, then the Super Bowl came up, and the pressure was on, and the eyes of fans everywhere were on him, and... his performance tanked.

Now this year, the pressure's on. He's BIG BEN, the quarterback of the Super Bowl Champions, and he's expected to get better. Forget about the accident and the appendix. In the NFL, if you're ready to play, you play. If you're physically compromised, you adapt your game to what you can do. Ben can certainly hit guys on short crossing patterns, guys coming out of the backfield, flares, screen passes... can't he? By the evidence of the last two games, no.

I hate to ask it... but could it be that our guy can't handle the expectation of success? I've always believed that he's not all that complicated emotionally. But what I don't see on the sidelines is the same guy I saw the first two years; laughing, joking, confident, one step ahead of everyone else. I see a guy who is worried and hesitant, and who is thinking a little bit behind everyone else. The game isn't an open book to him like it was before.

It's crunch time for this guy. This is where he gets to decide if he's going to be with Carson Palmer and Tom Brady, or with Mark Johnson and Mark Brunell. Will he be able to lead his team to victory one-handed when he has to? Only if his team believe that he can, is my answer. A couple more games like those and that might not come true.

Tom

I know he looks like a QB and has great stats (although not on Sunday when he often looked rattled) but can we wait until he wins something before we canonize Carson Palmer?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:41 AM   #7
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

One thought that comes to my mind on reading this thread is that Ben will have a very unique sequence to his learning process in the NFL. What I mean by that is, who else starts off as a QB in the league with 2 straight years of the highest level of success? You can't expect that will be sustained throughout his carreer. So instead of starting off with a very humbling beat down like most QBs do before tasting success, he is going to someday (maybe now?) deal with the difficult times after some success. Maybe that will make it harder to deal with when the day comes. Or maybe it will be easier to deal with because he won't have the doubt of wondering if he is capable of performing at a high level. Anyway, thats what thought popped into my head on reading this...
Old 09-26-2006, 12:05 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

One thought that comes to my mind on reading this thread is that Ben will have a very unique sequence to his learning process in the NFL. What I mean by that is, who else starts off as a QB in the league with 2 straight years of the highest level of success?

Dan Marino is the closest parallel I can think of - Marino replaced the starting QB for the defendiang AFC champs his rookie year and broke all passing records while going to teh SB his second season.

God forbid Ben has that career track insofar as team (not individual stats) success is concerned - it was all downhill after 1985 for Marino & the Dolphins.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:37 PM   #9
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Good points all. I'm concerned, and that's an emotional state, not a logical one. I know that the questions can't be answered by discussion; they can only play out through the season and through Roethlisberger's career. All I can do is share my concern and why I have it. Let's see what happens. I'm not pessimistic by nature, and if it weren't for the example of Steve Blass I would consider it inconceivable that a world class athlete could fall apart. So I'm probably concerned over nothing. I still don't see Ben as all that complicated a guy.

But I WOULD like to know that he's become better at being prepared intellectually for the games, studying film and tendencies and defenses. Because you know that the best defensive players are studying him.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:42 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,143 Times in 3,096 Posts

it sounds like he'll be fine mosca, and put in the time and effort in the filmroom:

http://news.steelers.com/article/69531/

You asked for more of a role in the offense after last year. By asking for that, and receiving it, does that put more pressure on you?

I put the pressure on myself to produce, and right now I'm not doing that, so I'm going to continue to put more pressure on myself to play better. I need to find that happy medium, without trying to do too much. I have to come out and be smart, and make better plays. A couple of plays tonight were negatives on our part. The interceptions – on one, I stepped on Marvel (Smith's) foot, and I had Cedrick (Wilson) wide open, and unfortunately I couldn't get it there.

Was that the interception over the deep middle?

Yes, I had great protection, the line gave me a lot of time, the safety drove on Hines (Ward), and I saw Cedrick (Wilson) going deep. I let it go, and when I did I stepped on Marvel (Smith's) foot.

In regards to your rehab, does this bye come at a bad time?

It's kind of a double-edged sword. It's good to have the bye to rest up, and to look at the things that I need to improve on, but I'm starting to get back into it now and it'd be nice to keep going. We'll see how we respond out of it.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote