Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-28-2006, 01:08 AM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Ben out, Batch In?

I have read quite a few posts/threads backing Ben - saying, very reasonably, that he requires more time to heal both his mind and his body.

So who are the people who think that Batch should be brought back until Ben shows something in practice to indicate that he is back to his old self?

Maybe you think that a few more games like Ben had sunday and the playoffs could be a distant dream?

This thread is just for posters who think Ben should be benched temporarily.

Are there any of you actually out there?

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:28 AM   #2
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140
Default Re: Ben out, Batch In?

Prior to the Jacksonville game you would have found a few people, including myself, that supported doing exactly as this thread suggests.

I think that everyone pretty much believes that the bye week will give Roethlisberger all of the healing time that he needs.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:43 AM   #3
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

I'm backing Ben. He is gonna come back big against SD.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:17 AM   #4
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

He needs as much playing time as possible. Even if it means that he'll throw a few more pics...
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:08 AM   #5
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Ben is the future of this franchise..to bench him now would only hurt him..not help
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:21 AM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I don't think it serves any purpose to bench Ben at this very early part of the season unless he feels he just can't do his job, which I don't believe is the case. Maybe he should have waited until after the bye week to come back as he has been through a helluva lot in a 90 day period of time, but Ben wanted to play and felt he could and I can't get on him for wanting to get back to doing something he loves and excels in. I agree that this time off should give him some time to get his body and mind balanced - he has been out of sync in recent weeks and he needs this time to re-focus and get it together which I truly believe he will.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:38 AM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

An argument can be made that Ben should have been held out until at least the Cincy game. By bringing Ben back against Jax, Cowher indicated (correctly) that if Ben is not injured placing the best team on the field puts Ben at QB. Batch playing the last 2 weeks obviously could not have turned out any worse, but Cowher can't re-do that decision.

Ben may have been rushed back, but he is the future of the franchise - benching Ben now could have long term problems for Ben's confidence and relationships with the coaches, although, if Cowher is leaving anyhow and figures he does not care about the impact of anything after this season, Cowher may say screw it and leave it up to Whiz (who can tell Ben next year the benching was all Cowher's idea) or whomever else replaces Cowher as head coach to patch up Ben's confidence next season.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:43 AM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
An argument can be made that Ben should have been held out until at least the Cincy game. By bringing Ben back against Jax, Cowher indicated (correctly) that if Ben is not injured placing the best team on the field puts Ben at QB. Batch playing the last 2 weeks obviously could not have turned out any worse, but Cowher can't re-do that decision.

Ben may have been rushed back, but he is the future of the franchise - benching Ben now could have long term problems for Ben's confidence and relationships with the coaches, although, if Cowher is leaving anyhow and figures he does not care about the impact of anything after this season, Cowher may say screw it and leave it up to Whiz (who can tell Ben next year the benching was all Cowher's idea) or whomever else replaces Cowher as head coach to patch up Ben's confidence next season.

I see where you are coming from here, Dan, but I do not believe that either Cowher or Wiz would play head games like that, especially not with their franchise QB. Cowher also has developed a "familial" relationshp with the Rooneys - I have no doubt that if and when he retires, be it at the close of this season, next season or whenever, he will always care about the organization and his players. He's just that type of guy and one of the reasons why he is one of the most loved coaches in the NFL.

The Anti-Wahoo

Last edited by HometownGal; 09-28-2006 at 12:05 PM.
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:03 AM   #9
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Ben is my quarterback. I would not have started him against Jacksonville though. I'd have rested him one more week.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:09 PM   #10
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

If you go back and watch the ball that Nate Washington dropped in the endzone, i think you will agree that you can not throw a ball any better then ben did.....and he was on the run...
Also, the deep ball....You can see that Ben put all he had into that throw and when it got up there it was blown backwards.....not making an excuse...just watch the ball...
But there is no reason for the interceptions, you cant turn the ball ove on the 2 yard line....
Ben should have ran it or just threw it away.....
I think Ben will be fine........I do enjoy however watching people turn their back on "Big Ben", God sent", mircale maker..whatever everyone has been calling him because he has a bad game or 2.......He will be back and i hope hes our QB for a long time