Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-29-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403
Default Phil Taylor/SI article re Roethlisberger and "mediocre" quarterback play

Just read an article posted yesterday on CNN's Sports Illustrated website, written by Phil Taylor. He's bemoaning the lack of "superstar" quarterbacks in the game today, the prevalence of mediocre play from the position, and theorizes that the quarterback position will soon become nothing more than a "manager" position:

"Look around the league and you won't find many teams who have what the unbiased observer would consider a star quarterback. The Patriots have one with Tom Brady and the Colts with Peyton Manning, and the Eagles' Donovan McNabb belongs perhaps a notch below those two, but after that, there's not a single QB in the league who could be called a star without getting a serious argument.

To be fair, there are a few candidates out there who could save the species from extinction. Carson Palmer may eventually reach elite status and Manning's little brother, Eli, has shown promise. But for the most part, NFL teams are either making do with good-but-not-great quarterbacks (Steve McNair and Matt Hasselbeck, for instance), young hopefuls (such as Phillip Rivers and Matt Leinart), past-their-prime passers (Brett Favre, Kurt Warner, Drew Bledsoe) or the dreaded game managers (such as Brad Johnson, Jon Kitna and yes, even Super Bowl QB Ben Roethlisberger)."

If I may rant for a moment......can I just say how TIRED I am of hearing yet again about how Carson Palmer is destined to become a quarterback god, and as for Eli Manning, I live in northern New Jersey and see the Giants every week; all I can say is, ya gotta be kiddin' me. I just don't see the brilliance that every sportswriter seems to think Manning possesses, and judging from the sports talk shows in the metro New York area, most of the fans don't see it, either.

Here's the link to the entire column:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...cks/index.html
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
CrimsonSteeler3443
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3022
Default Re: Phil Taylor/SI article re Roethlisberger and "mediocre" quarterback play

Dreaded game managers?

What a moron. This man should be hung.
CrimsonSteeler3443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:32 PM   #3
wadester47
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2745
Default Re: Phil Taylor/SI article re Roethlisberger and "mediocre" quarterback play

Typical ,

I hate the steelers bs, yeah well tell that idiot to check his hand for a ring, BEN can.( heck Tommy Maddox can too.)
wadester47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,384 Posts

If we do not have anything to post, we simply can elect not to post

OTOH, if you are paid to submit a column on regular basis to si.com then you do so.

This guy simply had to write something so he wrote this nonsense.

Ben's record speaks for itself but I am old enough to have started watching football at the end of the road for Lombardi's Packers, when the rap on Bart Starr was that he was only a game manager. More recently, media jerks led by Skip Bayless charged that Troy Aikman was just a game manager.

Managing games got Starr and Aikman 8 rings and 2 admissions to the Hall of Fame. If Ben is just a game manager then he is in good company.

I also agree that while Carson Palmer is a nice player, let's see him win something before crowning him the new king of the NFL.

As for Eli, he plays in New York and has that last name - there is no way he will not get hyped. As someone who regards the Mannings to be to the NFL what the Bush family is to American politics, I just ignore the ongoing praise for Eli and his sainted big brother while rooting against them both.

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 09-29-2006 at 05:10 PM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Fran Tarkenton. Great qb.
Dan Marino. Great qb.
Dan Fouts. Great qb.
Darryl Lamonica.
Jim Kelly.
the three mentioned in the article; Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb.
Warren Moon.
Sonny Jurgenson.
Y.A. Tittle

What do all these great passers have in common.... or NOT?

You guessed it. No rings, not Superbowl and not pre Super Bowl either. Oh, but they're all in the HOF, except Lamonica and the three who are active. And it took great passer John Elway his entire career to get a ring, before he slipped in under the wire at the end.

Great passers don't equal wins, and having the ability to take a game and win it on your own means that you have a lousy team that can't win it without you. Believe me, as great as Brady is, he's a great game manager over everything else. I don't dread game managers, not at all; it means I'm watching a great, balanced TEAM play football, not some hot shot star show where anything could happen and usually does.

Tom

Last edited by Mosca; 09-29-2006 at 08:02 PM.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:40 PM   #6
4n2t0
Team Captain

Member Number: 1112

Isn't he speaking the truth? Just because he calls Ben a "game manager" doesn't mean he can win games, or a Super Bowl for that matter. Do you think Ben is an all star QB? Statistics would side with the "game manager" title. Ben isn't Peyton, but it doesn't mean he can't win us a lot of games.

G GS Att Comp Pct Yds TD INT
14 13 295 196 66.4 2621 17 11
12 12 268 168 62.7 2385 17 9
4n2t0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:43 PM   #7
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
Fran Tarkenton. Great qb.
Dan Marino. Great qb.
Dan Fouts. Great qb.
Darryl Lamonica.
Jim Kelly.
the three mentioned in the article; Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb.
Warren Moon.
Sonny Jurgenson.
Y.A. Tittle

What do all these great passers have in common.... or NOT?

You guessed it. No rings, not Superbowl and not pre Super Bowl either. Oh, but they're all in the HOF, except Lamonica and the three who are active. And it took great passer John Elway his entire career to get a ring, before he slipped in under the wire at the end.

Great passers don't equal wins, and having the ability to take a game and win it on your own means that you have a lousy team that can't win it without you. Believe me, as great as Brady is, he's a great game manager over everything else. I don't dread game managers, not at all; it means I'm watching a great, balanced TEAM play football, not some hot shot star show where anything could happen and usually does.

Tom

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Cut & paste material
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote