Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-30-2006, 05:16 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Cowher won't panic over slow start

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, September 30, 2006

With no game on the horizon, coach Bill Cowher's weekly news conference essentially turned into a state of the Steelers address.

And he told reporters what he probably relayed to his players before letting them go for a long weekend: the Steelers have plenty of work ahead of them but they also have a lot on which to build.

"We've done a lot of good things, and I don't want them to lose sight of that," Cowher said Wednesday. "But at the same time, we're doing some things that aren't allowing us to win football games or to play consistently week in and week out, and yet it's still only week three."

The defending Super Bowl champions have lost consecutive games and are already two games behind the Bengals and Ravens in the AFC North.

Yet, Cowher has been encouraged by a number of things, including the Steelers reaching their own lofty standards in the running games against the Dolphins and Bengals and the defense sacking Carson Palmer six times and intercepting Cincinnati's quarterback twice in last Sunday's 28-20 loss at Heinz Field.

And, as Cowher said, it is still early.

"We know what we have to do," said Cowher, whose team plays the Chargers in San Diego on Oct. 8. "There's no panic."

There certainly isn't in the Steelers' locker room at the team's South Side practice facility, and with good reason.

A three-game losing streak last season left the Steelers at 7-5 and pushed them to the brink.

In danger of missing the playoffs, the Steelers reeled off four straight wins. They continued their sizzling play in the postseason, winning four more games and getting that elusive one-for-the-thumb Super Bowl ring.

"We've been here before, and we know what it takes to get back to the top," linebacker Larry Foote said. "This is a veteran team."

One of the unsettling aspects of the Steelers' 1-2 start is they have made mistakes generally ascribed to a young, inexperienced team.

For starters, the Steelers have committed eight turnovers.

As Cowher said wryly, "That's not a good stat to lead the league in."

Two turnovers in the fourth quarter of Sunday's game turned a three-point Steelers lead into an 11-point deficit.

Just as vexing to Cowher as the lost fumbles by Ricardo Colclough and Verron Haynes was that the Bengals scored on the very next play after each turnover.

In the game, the Bengals scored touchdowns all three times they were inside the Steelers' 25-yard line. Six trips by the Steelers' offense inside the Bengals' 25 resulted in just 17 points.

"We had the game won," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "We just couldn't finish it off and make plays when we needed to. That's the encouraging thing we can take during this bye week."

That's exactly what Cowher wants his players to do, with them also knowing that when they return to practice Monday they better be ready to work.

"I still think we're a good football team," Cowher said. "We're just not playing good football right now."
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:08 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Cowher won't panic over slow start

It's great to see that the team is keeping a positive attitude and not pushing the panic button. I wish the same could be said for some Steelers fans.

I have no doubt Cowher will be busting their butts this week in practice and getting them prepared for the Chargers game. This team doesn't like being behind the 8 ball and I'm confident they are going to turn it around and be the force to be reckoned with we all know they can be. I hope they've enjoyed their week off, got plenty of R & R and ate their Wheaties - something tells me they're going to need it on the practice field this week.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784
Default Re: Cowher won't panic over slow start

Good to hear boys! Let's go!!!

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote