Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-30-2006, 11:53 AM   #1
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915
Default What's wrong with Ben's mechanics?

I know that he's rusty, overcoming injury, underweight, etc. However, from a film breakdown standpoint, what's really wrong with him. In all honesty, he looks the same as he did in the Super Bowl. Three games in a row, he's looked awful. Has anyone seen a breakdown on what he may be doing wrong that's correctable? I'm afraid if everyone thinks time alone will cure everything, something mechanical, or otherwise may be overlooked. It's too tough to tell just watching the game on TV. Has Jaws or anyone else shown coaches' film on him? Also, what's your opinion (aside from the rusty, injured, underweight, usual stuff)?
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Default Re: What's wrong with Ben's mechanics?

Here again is my concern: 50 people look at this post and no one has a reply. He's rusty, he's injured, he's overweight........................ He needs a QB doctor? Who plays that role for the Steelers?
Old 10-01-2006, 01:09 AM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I'll have a go at answering this one - or at least sharing my opinion.

There is a possibility that bad habits have crept into Ben's game that are purely related to the mechanics of throwing the ball but I think another scenario is more likely.

The mental side of the game plays a huge part in the QB's technique - if he is feeling overly pressurised - either physically in the game or mentally regarding the game then he is unlikely to be devoting all of his mental resources in the right way.

There is a theory that Ben does not handle the pressure of being the QB on the team who is favorite in the 'big game' - his technique fell apart against the Patriots in his first year and also in the SB against Seattle.

This is the year Ben is supposed to step up and take the reins of the offense - to make it his team - maybe, what with all the added pressure of the various injuries (real and imagined), that his technique has deserted him.

Personally, I think we need to see him injury free and with some chemistry with his WR's before we start talking about altering his throwing mechanics.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:48 AM   #4
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Over weight? He lost 30 lbs. since his motorcycle crash and is that much below the playin weight of last year and the year before... He is Not over weight... he is just having trouble reading and reacting and I think it will come with time in the games...
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:58 AM   #5
slashsteel

Member Number:

Quote:
There is a possibility that bad habits have crept into Ben's game that are purely related to the mechanics of throwing the ball but I think another scenario is more likely.

Yeah lets go with another scenerio.

The timing is off with Ben and his WR's. With almost three new wideouts and 2 offseason surgeries it isn't surprising to see Ben rusty. He will rebound as he has always been a hard worker. How far he has went and his win/loss record in his short NFL stint will back this comment up. Along with the light coming on after the bye. Write it down and quote me he will regain his pre SB form...........
Old 10-01-2006, 08:57 AM   #6
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedosesteelers2006 View Post
Over weight? He lost 30 lbs. since his motorcycle crash and is that much below the playin weight of last year and the year before... He is Not over weight... he is just having trouble reading and reacting and I think it will come with time in the games...
Obviously I meant to say underweight...
Old 10-01-2006, 08:59 AM   #7
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post

Personally, I think we need to see him injury free and with some chemistry with his WR's before we start talking about altering his throwing mechanics.

NM
I'm referring to more than THROWING mechanics. What about his footwork, reads, etc.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:07 AM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashsteel View Post

Yeah lets go with another scenerio.

The timing is off with Ben and his WR's. With almost three new wideouts and 2 offseason surgeries it isn't surprising to see Ben rusty. He will rebound as he has always been a hard worker. How far he has went and his win/loss record in his short NFL stint will back this comment up. Along with the light coming on after the bye. Write it down and quote me he will regain his pre SB form...........
Couldn't have said it better myself, slash. In addition, I believe a part of Ben's problems thus far this season stem from all he has been through medically/emotionally in such a short period of time. The physical side of Ben has pretty much healed....it is the mental side that takes much longer with any illness/accident/trauma. I think there may be a little fear in Ben, as well as some self-confidence issues, which are certainly undertandable, but I have no doubt he will work himself through it. No one can do it for him. Been there, done that.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:54 AM   #9
blackvelvet
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2128

I think it might be the whole appendoctomy thing. From experience, i know it takes about two weeks to fully recover. I know he's a pro athlete and I;m a 16 year old girl, but i heard from the doctors that stuff like that takes a while for anyone to recover. Hopefully, this bye week will be good for him and he'll be ready next week.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:13 AM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysteel View Post
I'm referring to more than THROWING mechanics. What about his footwork, reads, etc.

I would argue that footwork is part of the mechanics of throwing the ball.

Maybe his reads look ok when he drops back to throw - but his actual mechanics let him down when he tries to execute - a good example would be the deep ball he tried to throw and got picked off.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote