Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-01-2006, 06:20 AM   #1
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default Russ Grimm or Ken Whisenhunt?....

Ok... I know most of you dont think or want to talk about this right now... but if you had to chose one of these for our next heard coach, who would it be ... Grimm or Whisenhunt?
All I have to offer for advice is Just remember Mike Mularkey....
I chose Grimm, they are payin' him too much money to keep him around for no other reason in my opinion... I guess if you have another choice other than these 2 go ahead a voice your opinnion...
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:11 AM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,839 Times in 2,700 Posts
Default Re: Russ Grimm or Ken Whisenhunt?....

Since it is a bye week I guess we can kick this question around again..

I believe it will be Whiz - traditional steppping stone to being a NFL head coach (unless you come out of college) is to be a coordinator first. In addition, I assume Whiz is tighter with Ben and keeping Ben happy is no small factor in hiring Cowher's replacemnt.

Two related questions:

1. Given that their name is on the rule, will the "Rooney Rule" potentially get the Steelers' owners boxed in to having to interview African-American HC candidates and then face claims that it was all a sham if an African-American is not hired as HC?

2 An equally important and related question is whether the Rooneys will suggest or the new HC will agree that Dick LeBeau stays as defensive coordinator. Since I do not regard LeBeau as someone who thinks he is or wants to be a HC candidate at his age it will be very helpful if the new HC will not feel a need to bring in his own team and dump LeBeau.
I assume Grimm will either get a HC job somewhere or leave to be an OC somewhere else if Cowher acts as I expect and leaves after 2006.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:30 AM   #3
Dynasty
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2396

Considering that recent coaching situations have shown that O-Line coaches usually have some problems with mastering the offense, and like it was stated before, Whiz has a good relationsip with Ben, i think he will get the job. But something that should be considered is that Grimm will give more discipline to the team than Whiz most likely.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:13 AM   #4
4n2t0
Team Captain

Member Number: 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Since it is a bye week I guess we can kick this question around again..

I believe it will be Whiz - traditional steppping stone to being a NFL head coach (unless you come out of college) is to be a coordinator first. In addition, I assume Whiz is tighter with Ben and keeping Ben happy is no small factor in hiring Cowher's replacemnt.

Two related questions:

1. Given that their name is on the rule, will the "Rooney Rule" potentially get the Steelers' owners boxed in to having to interview African-American HC candidates and then face claims that it was all a sham if an African-American is not hired as HC?

2 An equally important and related question is whether the Rooneys will suggest or the new HC will agree that Dick LeBeau stays as defensive coordinator. Since I do not regard LeBeau as someone who thinks he is or wants to be a HC candidate at his age it will be very helpful if the new HC will not feel a need to bring in his own team and dump LeBeau.
I assume Grimm will either get a HC job somewhere or leave to be an OC somewhere else if Cowher acts as I expect and leaves after 2006.
1) Given the rule I wouldn't assume otherwise. Just because they know who they want (Whiz 97%) doesn't mean they can interview other candidates, which WILL definately occur.

2) The new HC will probably be forced to keep LeBeau, terms of hiring I would imagine. That's of course if LeBeau is content staying in Pittsburgh.

Last edited by 4n2t0; 10-01-2006 at 11:16 AM.
4n2t0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:35 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,839 Times in 2,700 Posts

My point with the interviewing of African-American candidates when Cowher leaves is not that it should not happen if there is a level playing field of competition for an open position but the pointlessness of doing those interviews if the decision altready has been made.

If you really already have decided to hire a qualified candidate, going through sham interviews is simply tokenism that makes a mockery of what the rule was intended to achieve, which was more African-American HCs, not simply more African-American HC interviews.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:15 PM   #6
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Whisenhunt for me. So we can keep Grimm as our OL coach. I also believe though, Grimm is labled as our Ass't HC.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #7
BigJen
Banned

Member Number: 3186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
My point with the interviewing of African-American candidates when Cowher leaves is not that it should not happen if there is a level playing field of competition for an open position but the pointlessness of doing those interviews if the decision altready has been made.

If you really already have decided to hire a qualified candidate, going through sham interviews is simply tokenism that makes a mockery of what the rule was intended to achieve, which was more African-American HCs, not simply more African-American HC interviews.
This is an intersting point!. Whiz should be the man. I disagree with this equal opportunity crap involving coaches. If I own the team I want the best coach available regardless of color.
BigJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #8
jaysta
Starter

Member Number: 1495
Talking Re: Russ Grimm or Ken Whisenhunt?....

I have to go with Grimm. The guy was a former member of the Hogs for cryin' out loud! We need a tough guy in there who won't mind getting in the player's faces. Plus he's smart and a proven winner. Anyhow, this is kind of pointless right now because hopefully Bill stays around a few more years.
jaysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:46 PM   #9
Hines0wnz
Living Legend

Member Number: 3085

Neither. How many successful OC have been successful head coaches.....very few! I think the next coach will be from outside the Pittsburgh organization to infuse new life into the team. Not that it needs it but a breath of fresh air never hurts!

Having stated all that, Russ Grimm would be the most likely candidate to ascend to HC (from within Pittsburgh's org) but I doubt it seriously.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:57 PM   #10
4n2t0
Team Captain

Member Number: 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines0wnz View Post
Neither. How many successful OC have been successful head coaches.....very few! I think the next coach will be from outside the Pittsburgh organization to infuse new life into the team. Not that it needs it but a breath of fresh air never hurts!

Having stated all that, Russ Grimm would be the most likely candidate to ascend to HC (from within Pittsburgh's org) but I doubt it seriously.
Going with your outside theroy maybe Dave Wannstedt?
4n2t0 is offline   Reply With Quote